Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,010 Posts
Can you send a recording? You may need a valve adjustment if you haven't gotten one already. Could also be the timing belt tensioner on its way out.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
So much more info would be needed. Knocking is such a generic word. Is that the best descriptor you have? (Clanking, clunking, clicking, rattle,....?)

knocking could imply a preignition knock or a physical contact knock.

A recording of the sound would be helpful.
Does it vary with engine RPM?
Do you hear it when the vehicle is parked?
Does it vary with vehicle speed?
Does it change if engine is hot or cold?
What model Odyssey is it?
Any engine codes?

etc...

To just report you have a knocking sound is not very sufficient.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you send a recording? You may need a valve adjustment if you haven't gotten one already. Could also be the timing belt tensioner on its way out.
Hi,
How do I send a recording ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So much more info would be needed. Knocking is such a generic word. Is that the best descriptor you have? (Clanking, clunking, clicking, rattle,....?)

knocking could imply a preignition knock or a physical contact knock.

A recording of the sound would be helpful.
Does it vary with engine RPM?
Do you hear it when the vehicle is parked?
Does it vary with vehicle speed?
Does it change if engine is hot or cold?
What model Odyssey is it?
Any engine codes?

etc...

To just report you have a knocking sound is not very sufficient.
I hear it when it’s Parked and at various rpms. Car doesn’t smoke and runs fine. I have a check engine light on. LX 2006. Thanks !

·
Registered
1,376 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
As Kernel indicated, one way to upload audio is to shoot a video and then upload that video to YouTube and post the link to the YouTube video here.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I hear it when it’s Parked and at various rpms. Car doesn’t smoke and runs fine. I have a check engine light on. LX 2006. Thanks !
Is the knock steady/constant (i.e., rythmic) or is it random? Does it happen when engine is cold, hot or both? Does the sound change when you put the transmission in different gears?

You should get the engine fault code read and tell us what the code is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone know what it might be ? Is it worth fixing on a 2006 . Van has 190000 miles . Thanks in advance
My friend, at 190,000 miles,it could be the timing belt that needs replacement plus the tensioner as well as the water pump inside the engine next to the timing belt. Is it worth the hassle? It depends how much you love your vehicle? I just changed my timing belt at 204,000 miles on a 2011 Odyssey LX. It's gonna last me another 100,000+ miles more.
The parts are very affordable but the labor is pricey.
With that being said, going with what you'e describing about the sound, my guess is that timing belt.
But wouldn't hurt to bring it to a mechanic and get a diagnostic test on it.
Good luck my friend

1 - 11 of 11 Posts