Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, 2006 non-VCM Ody with 143K on the odometer. A brief history...

Bought 2016 with 116K miles. Immediately did a timing belt/tensioner/water pump change. The van drove great. It was around last summer that I found out that the dreaded Odyssey transmission problems extended into the 3rd gen. I had thought the problems ended in 2004. So I immediately started researching and found the method of doing this. So I purchased the Castrol Z1 trans fluid and did my first flush. I can't remember if I had done the 2nd flush or not, but after a couple weeks, the shudder began. Under load at any speed, around 2000 rpms.

So I took it to a local, very dependable trans shop. They put it on their machine and ran some tests. They said the trans is in great shape with no slipping, shifts fine, but the shudder is coming from the torque converter. IMO they were not only nice, but honest. They said they've felt worse shudders just cleaned up from a change of fluid. So I finished with the brand they use (100% synthetic) and recommended. It really hasn't improved, but has not gotten worse either. I did just recently purchase an additive from my dealer. About 12 oz. to add to the final flush. I did it and it improved the shudder noticeably. But it's still there.

The trans shop that inspected my trans were hesitant to fix it. They said (basically) that it wont leave me sitting anywhere, it's mostly just annoying. They seemed sympathetic to me in not wanting to charge me $2000 for repairs on a 13 year old vehicle.

I will explain what they described to me as to the reason for the shudder, should this thread gain traction. For now I'll just ask the think tank here, and hopefully any mechanics familiar with Odyssey transmissions, for some thoughts or advice on the matter. I really like the van (just bought a Gen4 EX-L for my wife) but am struggling on whether to sell it or not. I'm unsure as to the best way to go.

Wondering if I should continue to flush the trans? Maybe it'll continue to clear up?

Thanks in advance for any help or insight..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What they explained to you, might help in how you proceed. Did they give you any hints in that direction?
Thanks for the reply. Basically (please bear with me in my uneducated explanation) what he said was the outer portion of the TC (sorry I know NONE of the terminology) most likely has something on it similar to glazing of brakes when they overheat. So when the inner portion starts spinning with higher rpms, and pushing the fluid out against the outer part, it's (I believe) grabbing and causing the shudder. IIRC he said there will always be some slipping to a degree, but whatever has attached itself to the outer portion is preventing the smooth slipping and causing the grabbiness.

He explained that the reason flushes often will clear it up is because of the detergents in the new fluid will break up the glazing (my word, but he agreed that it's a good description) and restore original functionality.

He absolutely did not feel that my flushing the system had caused it. What I flushed out was dark and definitely in need. Apparently the previous owner hadn't done it in quite some time, if ever. But it seems awfully ironic with the timing of it all.

I wish I had saved that can that I put in last week, so that I could post it here. I'll stop in at the dealer and find out. Because of the way things happened, with the additive, I wonder if I shouldn't do another full flush (3x) and put the additive in again. It's a pretty dependable van otherwise. I have it up for sale right now, just on FB marketplace, but am in no hurry to get rid of it. I'm even considering driving it for one more winter and parking my newer Gen 4 so as to keep it off these horrible winter roads. But I'd love to get it powering smoothly, regardless of whether I keep or sell it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He had a torque converter cut in half on his desk. If I remember correctly by his description, the stator starts spinning and pushing fluid against the turbine. The turbine is what seems to be the problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Or maybe it was the impeller. It was last winter, sorry I'm so foggy on this.

Following this discussion as we may have this issue in our 2010 van. I plan to do a fluid change soon.
Wow that's odd. Supposedly Honda got their act together and from 2009+ had improved their transmissions immensely. Of course, I guess if yours has had no maintenance, it would still give you problems

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IIRC, the Honda Odyssey transmission improvement occurred in 2006 or 2007; they started using the better SUV (Honda Pilot) transmission.
It may have, I'm not sure. I'm just going by what I read on a few sites, most notably car complaints.com They still showed a lot of problems through 2008. 2009 and up transmissions seem the best up until 2014 or so and then began showing some problems again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts