Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been trying to troubleshoot this issue over 2 weeks and I'm running out of ideas so I'm looking for some help.

Issue:
2 weeks ago all the windows suddenly were unable to operate from the door switches or master switch. Verified that the master window lock was off. I can, however, lower all the windows from the key fob and raise all the windows from the driver's side door with the key. I purchased a replacement master switch from Switchdoctor. The new switch did not operate the windows however I could hear the relays operating at each door when triggered from the master switch. I did some probing and verified the master switch was sending voltage to each door switch relay to raise and lower but there no power at the door. I checked all drivers side fuses and swapped out the power window relay. None were bad. Switchdoctor sent a replacement switch thinking it was defective but the new switch did the same thing. They also verified they sent me the switch for the EXL and not the LX. Any thoughts to try other than an OEM switch?

The vehicle is a 2006 EXL with 150k miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspected so. I am going to try a used one since new OEM is close to $300. I hear reports of the aftermarket switch working in some cases. Any idea why the work for some but not others?

·
Registered
89 Posts
A switch from a 4 door Accord will also work and they tend to be cheaper used oem. BTW I had the same issue one I got from them as well and the replacement did the same thing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
A brand new genuine Honda window switch unit is $180 from Bernardiparts.com. I agree junk yard might be a better option if you can find one.

·
Registered
370 Posts
A switch from a 4 door Accord will also work and they tend to be cheaper used oem. BTW I had the same issue one I got from them as well and the replacement did the same thing.

The accord and Odyssey ones are different part numbers, they don't swap, I tried between my cars

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Received the OEM used switch and the windows still do not function. I'm thinking this has to be a broken wire. Any suggestions on which wires to check and where?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Received the OEM used switch and the windows still do not function. I'm thinking this has to be a broken wire. Any suggestions on which wires to check and where?
You'd have to look at the diagram for that, I could try and find the diagram and post it. Is it the 4 cyl or v6 and what year?

It shouldn't differ but the FSM is just split so it will help to narrow

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Have you tried simply disconnecting the battery?
The switch sends power to the relays, you can open and close with fob, and a new switch didn't work. I would at least give its shot. My 07 was doing something similar where it would randomly loose the connection to the door locks and window memory. Didn't really figure it out and it's now sold to a family member. They have had no issues to report in 3 weeks. Weird.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SOLVED - I finally figured out the issue. While troubleshooting I realized the switched hot power from Fuse 21 (yellow wire) was not providing voltage at the switch, see the attached wiring diagram. I confirmed the fuse was good and there was voltage at the fuse so I knew the problem was somewhere in between the two. I discovered the wire broke at the connector in the door jam, see attached photo. I stripped the wire a bit and re-crimped the wire on the connector and all the windows work again.

In hindsight, there were some clues that indicated the issue could be symptomatic of a broken wire not a defective switch. All the switches were no longer lighting up indicating lack of voltage. The passenger and rear windows run through a separate circuit through the switch and relay while the driver's side window is powered separately. Typically when the switch is bad, the driver's side window still works. In my case, all the windows stopped working at the same time. Both switch lighting and all windows not working in my mind indicated some lack of a power source.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts