Honda Odyssey Forum banner

2006 EXL Bad Transmission

584 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  celicool
I had my 2006 Ody exl just diagnosed with a bad transmission and three bad front engine mounts. I have an estimate in that to replace with a used transmission, all engine mounts and all the labor will cost just shy of $4000.

I’m wondering if this is worth it. I haven’t had the van for very long and I’ve already had to pay over $2000 in other unrelated repairs. And it’s starting to feel like these things will just continue accumulating.

Curious to hear of other people’s experiences.
Thanks!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,263 Posts
Chances are the transmission just died of neglect. And you could say that for a lot of issues. Maintenance is the key.

Reactions: viper74656

· Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L; 2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD)
575 Posts
How many miles on it? The 3rd gens are actually really reliable, but obviously some things will go out if not maintained. Hope it's had the timing belt changed at least once since 2006!

VCM usually kills Honda engine mounts eventually. You can disable it:

· Registered
206 Posts
I had my 2006 Ody exl just diagnosed with a bad transmission and three bad front engine mounts. I have an estimate in that to replace with a used transmission, all engine mounts and all the labor will cost just shy of $4000.

I’m wondering if this is worth it. I haven’t had the van for very long and I’ve already had to pay over $2000 in other unrelated repairs. And it’s starting to feel like these things will just continue accumulating.

Thanks!
my previous van was an EX-L purchased new in 2002. At 85k and about 9 years the transmission went bad, along with 2 motor mounts and the ABS controller. Cost to replace was about $11k or so. I traded it in on a new one. Your van is 16 years old, if you can afford it, i'd get something newer.

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,263 Posts
my previous van was an EX-L purchased new in 2002. At 85k and about 9 years the transmission went bad, along with 2 motor mounts and the ABS controller. Cost to replace was about $11k or so. I traded it in on a new one. Your van is 16 years old, if you can afford it, i'd get something newer.
Not really a fair comparison. The 2nd gens were a trainwreck.

Reactions: sluggyjunx

· Registered
521 Posts
You can buy a good-used '06 Odyssey for about 6 grands. Of course buying something this old is always a hit or miss no matter what brand you chose.
You need to make the call based on the overall condition of the van if it's worth fixing it or sell it for parts and move on.

· Registered
1,040 Posts
Was the trans fluid drained and refilled, at least around every 30k miles, regularly?
These Honda trans love/need fresh fluid.

If buy new/used Ody, get an 2007 at least, with the better/heavier transmission, same as the Pilot/Ridgeline, IRRC.

· Registered
1,592 Posts

Thanks!
"bad transmission" is a general term which doesn't tell people anything. What are the exact issues/symptoms?
What is the shop exact description of diagnosis ?
Did you get 2nd opinion?

Reactions: ody495615
1 - 8 of 8 Posts