Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have a unusual obundent of problems with this model, we have a 2000 civic that has 200k miles on it that has had less problems. Is it my car or is this Yr and model just a LEMON!
Let me say i only have 35K on this car, We have replaced the Water pump, Timing belt, serpentine belt, and now i just heard a thump,Battery light and no power steering. Which i am gathering is the serpentine belt or tensioner arm.

Man o man

Oh and it makes a big pop sound when the Auto door opens on occassion, and it has a annoying loan groan sound when braking at a low speed ( i just saw those in the Tech sec)

·
Registered
786 Posts
jrmama2323 said:
Anyone else have a unusual obundent of problems with this model, we have a 2000 civic that has 200k miles on it that has had less problems. Is it my car or is this Yr and model just a LEMON!
Let me say i only have 35K on this car, We have replaced the Water pump, Timing belt, serpentine belt, and now i just heard a thump,Battery light and no power steering. Which i am gathering is the serpentine belt or tensioner arm.

Man o man

Oh and it makes a big pop sound when the Auto door opens on occassion, and it has a annoying loan groan sound when braking at a low speed ( i just saw those in the Tech sec)
I'm just amazed that an 06 has only 35k....but anyway, the power steering does not surprise me, from the people I have asked, thats either hit or miss and when you get hit with it, you have to replace it multiple times. I got it but more people that I have talked to have not had it......yet ;) Why did you do the timing belt so early? Also, what month did you purchase the car. I got mine in March, but it had been purchased in November and put in a warehouse. The only other person who had the power steering pump, bought theirs the same week, which leads me to believe that there might be a batch of Odys from a specific time period who have it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a stay at home mom, really it's all about errands, school, practices, kid stuff. Plus my kids are young so big long driving trips yet, but i can't wait! The water pump had a slow leak on it, didnt blow but still had to be replaced and since that was being done we decided to have them change out the timing belt, thats when they notcied the serpantine belt was all frayed, so that got changed out to.

Its the tensioner arm that's the problem now

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jrmama2323 said:
I'm a stay at home mom, really it's all about errands, school, practices, kid stuff. Plus my kids are young so big long driving trips yet, but i can't wait! The water pump had a slow leak on it, didnt blow but still had to be replaced and since that was being done we decided to have them change out the timing belt, thats when they notcied the serpantine belt was all frayed, so that got changed out to.

Its the tensioner arm that's the problem now
Oh and I bought it in Dec 06

·
Registered
786 Posts
Well that doesn't support my theory that many Odys with the power steering issue were built in the fall of 05.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Realistically it sounds like one, maybe two real problems here. Having the timing belt/serp belt changed while doing a water pump shouldn't have added to the bill beyond the cost of the belts. If they charged more than that they took you for a ride.

Door pop and brake groan is pretty much typical stuff and not sure there's much to fix.

I'm not Honda fan boy...but you're not even close to a "lemon". Not much should go wrong on a Civic! Honda has done well with little low-tech cars...but once they started adding gobs of features they're more mid-pack IMHO.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 2006 Honda Oddy EX-L

jackrabbit000 said:
If you are amazed at his, our '06 EXL-RES has only 24032 miles on it.

I must have passed that back in early 07 :D

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yes, wait until the RES audio goes in/out, there's a new cable for that, your motor mount (rear) will fail eventually (ours at 58k under powertrain warranty), the rear shocks are junky and tend to leak (monroe is OEM style replacement, KYB stiffer), and my AC blower quit working which I finally figured out was $2 thermal cut-out which Honda uses and fails frequently. I'm really not impressed with our used '06 quality but it does drive nice like a sports car almost with some bigger wheels and brake upgrade. I got drilled rotors and ceramic brake pads on ebay and that solved the grinding noise from pads that were in there (OEM?).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts