Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2006 Honda Odyssey E-XL.

The air conditioner seems to work intermittently. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

It seems as though it is both the front and rear, and they both either work together or don’t work together, but that may not be 100% accurate.

That makes me think it’s a relay or an electrical issue?

I am a journeyman electrician and own a digital multi meter, but I am not an automotive wiz.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me to check something and how to go about doing it before I take it to a mechanic? I do not have refrigeration gauges and feel like that probably isn’t the issue as it works sometimes and not others, and I would need to take it to a shop to get that checked.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can we skip that and go to the next thing? Something that makes it work intermittently like a relay or something electrical?

I don’t have guages, won’t be buying any, and would prefer to trouble shoot on my own before taking it to a shop.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Could be the AC clutch relay. You can easily verify this by temporarily installing one of the identical relays located nearby to see if that resolves the intermittent issue. The relay box is under the hood on the passenger side. The AC clutch relay is roughly front center. There are two identival relays in the back row (closest to windshield).
If the temporary relay solves your issue replace the faulty AC relay with the new and improved Mitsuba (sp?) relay.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
If it is not the clutch relay, it can be a worn compressor clutch, which is fixed by removing a spacer washer between the two clutch plates.

·
Registered
13,256 Posts
I own a 2006 Honda Odyssey E-XL.

The air conditioner seems to work intermittently. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

It seems as though it is both the front and rear, and they both either work together or don’t work together, but that may not be 100% accurate.

That makes me think it’s a relay or an electrical issue?

I am a journeyman electrician and own a digital multi meter, but I am not an automotive wiz.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me to check something and how to go about doing it before I take it to a mechanic? I do not have refrigeration gauges and feel like that probably isn’t the issue as it works sometimes and not others, and I would need to take it to a shop to get that checked.

Thanks.
You're not very specific here. Is it not getting cold intermittently or is the air not blowing intermittently?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts