Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I would proceed with caution and skepticism. This does not “smell” right to me.

·
Registered
12,772 Posts
This sounds to me like possibly a skipped timing belt and possibly some bent valves or just out of time. The valves didn't "burn" suddenly like that.

One side note..."Power Platinum" plugs do not belong in this vehicle. This vehicle needs irridium plugs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I had the vehicle on cruise control and going up a fairly steep hill. The van downshifted once or twice and right after that the misfire(s) and powerloss occurred. This should not happen to any vehicle let alone a well maintained Honda with 90K miles on it. This is different than the folks with 150K+ miles with misfires and require a valve adjustment through normal wear and tear. My mechanic says he has seen this on other vehicles with the J35 motor. Cylinders 4 and 5 are usually the culprits.

·
Registered
12,772 Posts
It's not burnt valves. Of that I'm fairly certain.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Any other suggestions on what it can be? That cylinder 3 is shot at the moment. No compression. Either way, looks like he'll have to get to the valves to take a look. He also mentioned something about if the bottom end is affected, I'll be looking at a new motor.

·
Registered
12,772 Posts
Just making guesses since we don't have the van in front of us. Jumped timing belt is my first guess. At 90K I just don't see a burnt valve. When was the timing belt replaced last?

·
Registered
12,772 Posts
So it was due, or close to it. If you're guessing in the date I'd bet it was longer but it doesn't matter. Was the tensioner replaced during that service? Idler pulleys? There's so much that goes into the whole equation.

My point is the valves didn't suddenly burn. Something happened suddenly to cause a loss of compression. Timing belt is the most common cause. They'll know when they tear into it but it is/was easily checked before getting in too far.

·
Registered
168 Posts
choste11 sent me a PM. Here's my reply to him. Just sharing so all of you can see what my take on it is.

"First of all, I wouldn't place too much blame on the fact that you had it on cruise control when going up a hill... that's a condition that every vehicle should be able to handle and downshifting is also a regular occurrence of course. If it didn't happen then, it likely would have at some other point.

It does sound like something bad happened at that point though and the fact that you have no compression on #4, is not a good sign. My guess would be rings, not valves. Rings on these VCM engines is a far more common failure and is the main culprit for misfires / oil consumption. Here's what happens typically... while cruising along at a constant speed, the VCM system activates and shuts down cylinders. The valves remain closed and the spark is disabled...Honda touts this as a way to create a pneumatic "spring" and not lose a lot of energy. However, without the usual combustion pressures, the rings tend to bypass a lot more oil. So during the time that the VCM is active, oil is accumulating in the inactive cylinders. When VCM activates again, air and fuel are introduced and the cylinders fire again, however you're now dealing with an air/fue/oil mix. The oil effectively changes the octane rating of the mixture and causes it to detonate when it's not supposed to. This detonation at the wrong time, puts severe stress on your engine components, most notably, the rings, and it causes catastrophic failure of rings, which is why Honda had to foot the bill for so many ring jobs in it's class action lawsuit.

Honda claims they now use better rings, (I call bullshit), but what they really did to "fix" the issue is to have the PCM engage all the cylinders from time to time to burn off the oil before too much of it accumulated to cause detonation. Not really a good fix for all of VCM's ills, in my opinion.

Based on what your'e describing, I'd say that is likely what happened. The fact that you have no compression in #4 is a really bad thing. Without compression, the cylinder won't fire at all and it's likely the reason for the rough running. You need to have your rings inspected, preferably at a honda dealer. If your raise enough shit about VCM, even though the extended warranty is over, many have been able to get Honda to still pay for some and sometimes all of the cost for replacing them. If you say you didn't know about this massive problem these vehicles had before this happened and the vehicle only has 90K on it, and so on.... chances are they will cover at least some of the repair.

Your goal right now is to get the vehicle running properly again. The VCMuzzler won't solve your issue as it only prevents VCM from activating. You're having cylinder misfire problems that have to be fixed. once you have that fixed, absolutely put a VCMuzzler on it and the vehicle will last a long time.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, sorry about that. Let me know how you make out."

·
Registered
12,772 Posts
I agree with all that. That can definitely happen. However, he mentioned codes for 1, 4, & 6 but 4 is not a VCM cylinder on a 2006 and 6 isn't a VCM cylinder on any year. Most of us know misfire counters aren't always accurate so it's not uncommon to have one dead cylinder while setting codes for others that have no problem. However, the dead hole in #4 wouldn't be caused by VCM in this case. That's why I suspect a timing issue.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
This sounds to me like possibly a skipped timing belt and possibly some bent valves or just out of time. The valves didn't "burn" suddenly like that.

One side note..."Power Platinum" plugs do not belong in this vehicle. This vehicle needs irridium plugs.
Exactly...did the engine over rev, did the belt snap, etc

·
Registered
168 Posts
Forgot about #4 not being a VCM cylinder that year. Thought #6 might have just been a result of everything going bad. Timing could definitely be an issue and needs checking. Compression in all cylinders should be done.

·
Registered
12,772 Posts
A leak down test will tell you whether its a valve leaking or rings leaking, etc. Hard to believe they want to tear it down before doing any of that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Forgot about #4 not being a VCM cylinder that year. Thought #6 might have just been a result of everything going bad. Timing could definitely be an issue and needs checking. Compression in all cylinders should be done.
Can someone confirm that for 2006, the cylinder numbers are:

<front of car>

·
Registered
12,772 Posts
Can someone confirm that for 2006, the cylinder numbers are:

<front of car>
That is correct. In 2005-2006 only the rear cylinders are deactivated by VCM. On 07 and up, they also deactivate #4.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts