Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 2006 Honda Odyssey EXL (RES) original transmission die on 216,000 miles - rebuilt or sell?

I need your opinion on whether to have a rebuilt transmission for $2600 (12k miles/1 year warranty) or sell for $1000.

Everything is in good shape and regular maintenance.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
What would your preference be?

What will you replace it with, at what cost?

·
Registered
698 Posts
If you recently installed the timing belt and water pump, the body is not rusted out, the engine is healthy and well maintained, you like the van and it serves you well, then it seems like repairing the transmission is a good investment.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
2005 and 2006 are known for having weak tranny, and a few members on this board are the testament to that. If you are going to put in a different tranny, be sure to select wisely for a beefier version. Member "Maxud" did something similar to his 2006 Odyssey (not sure of the year), look up his last thread posted a few months ago.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
What is your "alternative" you are considering?
How many more miles that you THINK you can get out of this car? How much do you drive?
For me, since I do so little driving (5k/yr), even if the car lasts me another 20k miles, it will be 4 yrs+. If I can go 4 yrs+ by spending $2600, I will do it as newer car sitting on the driveway will depreciate $2600 in a year or two (though now a days.... It is WEIRD times). However, if you NEED reliable daily driver that you drive 12K+ miles a year, maybe you may want to look into getting yourself a newer car with some kind of warranty. Also it does depend on whether you NEED a minivan as well.

·
Registered
698 Posts
2005 and 2006 are known for having weak tranny, and a few members on this board are the testament to that. If you are going to put in a different tranny, be sure to select wisely for a beefier version.
Adding a quality ATF cooler, adding a Magnefine filter, and exceeding the minimum guidelines for transmission maintenance can greatly compensate for the "weakness" of this tranny. Do they even make a "beefier" version?

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
^^ All that plus finances and spouse opinion. We went through the exact same thing on our 01 w 145k miles. Since I did all the work, all maint work was tracked. Still needed tires. Did do the AT replace. After another year, sold and got the 08. So if you need the van and have no other work on it, then its worth a change. If not, it is time for a newer vehicle (even if not brand new).

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Adding a quality ATF cooler, adding a Magnefine filter, and exceeding the minimum guidelines for transmission maintenance can greatly compensate for the "weakness" of this tranny. Do they even make a "beefier" version?
If I recall correctly, Maxud stated that he addressed the "weak link" with his replacement AT.

It's best to find his thread and read on. Below is his post.

Failed transmission by Maxud

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your responses and provided the Maxud link for failed transmission. I decided to replace with the rebuilt transmission with 3yr/36k miles warranty since I can't find a used SUV within my budget nowadays. The van is great to us for last 10 years and not stranded in highway or long drive vacation. Also, need to do the timing belt and water pump since last change on 60k miles suggested by my mechanic. Hopefully, I can drive this van for another 10 years or reach 300k miles. I guess it's to high hope. Thank you all again.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
You didn't present the 3/36 warranty as an option in your post. Any particular reason?

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Got it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I live in Central Florida and there is a place that sells engines and transmissions for Japanese brands like Honda and toyota. I wouldn't be surprised if they have multiple transmissions for well under $1,000. Might be worth it to look around on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace to see what you find. I don't know what it cost to have someone install it, or if the price you quoted includes installation, but I wish you look no matter what you do

1 - 13 of 13 Posts