Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have 2006 Honda Odyssey. I drove it from La to Az. Everything was running smooth but when I reach 190miles the transmission fluid is spill out from anywhere in the hood smoke came out and the transmission start slipping on the current gear. I pulled over on the side of the road and called the tow truck. When the tow truck brought my van home. I started it again and drive it normally.
Can anyone tell what a wrong to my van?
Is it because the tranny fluid is over filled?
If it’s over fill and spill out like this does it make my transmission bad?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Oh wow! That must have been a mess. Trans fluid is some nasty crap. It is very possible that it was over filled but also could have foamed up and was getting hot or something. That doesn't just happen. Did you have any recent trans fluid changes? I don't think your trans is bad but, if it still drives than I may be fine. I would check your fill up area on top of the trans by the firewall on the driverside. Did you confirm where the leak came from? It kind of sounds like it could be a trans hose that came unhooked. Especially if it was coming out rapidly than it's the hose that runs from the trans to the radiator possibly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Mr. OdysseyMan1223.
I did not Chang the transmission fluid. I just check it and add some more of transmission fluid to the right level I think but I’m not sure about the right level. I check on YouTube. The fluid is spread all over the transmission case and I can see the fluid at the bottom of the tranny case too.
I read the forum and someone(Odyfamily)says when the transmission fluid is over filled it will be
spits out via the rubber vent hose at the top of the tranny case but I don’t know where the RUBBER VENT HOSE is?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t know where the leak came from ! Especially the hose that runs from the trans to the radiator.
How can I check them?
Could you provide some photos or link?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thanks for your reply Mr. OdysseyMan1223.
I did not Chang the transmission fluid. I just check it and add some more of transmission fluid to the right level I think but I’m not sure about the right level. I check on YouTube. The fluid is spread all over the transmission case and I can see the fluid at the bottom of the tranny case too.
I read the forum and someone(Odyfamily)says when the transmission fluid is over filled it will be
spits out via the rubber vent hose at the top of the tranny case but I don’t know where the RUBBER VENT HOSE is?
If you fill it, you need to let the engine and trans warm up to operating temp and fill it and check it little by little. I would do a proper drain and fill to see the condition of your fluid. The breather tube should be on top of the trans under the battery box, somewhere around there.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I don’t know where the leak came from ! Especially the hose that runs from the trans to the radiator.
How can I check them?
Could you provide some photos or link?
All the lines are easily accessible on the driverside. They are secured to the subframe and trans. I think that breather tube is the best place to start.

·
Registered
513 Posts
If you fill it, you need to let the engine and trans warm up to operating temp and fill it and check it little by little. I would do a proper drain and fill to see the condition of your fluid. The breather tube should be on top of the trans under the battery box, somewhere around there. I found some pics that might help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. All your ideas are help me too much. But I can receive the photos u sent me.
And one more thing could you tell me how can I add the fluid to the right level?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thanks. All your ideas are help me too much. But I can receive the photos u sent me.
And one more thing could you tell me how can I add the fluid to the right level?
I have attached a photo of the fill hole. It's just a 17mm bolt to take out and it has a washer on it. Warm the car up to operating temp. The bolt will be hot so be careful. Check your dipstick when vehicle is hot and running. First time you take the dipstick out that is not your reading. Wipe off dipstick and put it back in and wait a few seconds and then take back out again. Their are two holes. One for low and one for high. I would fill it until it's about in the middle or high mark. Drive it around after filling going thru all the gears and then check again with engine on.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The fill hole is directly under the brake fluid resivour on the driverside. It's a 17 mm bolt. Sorry about not being able to send pics

·
Registered
513 Posts
This is where your leak could be. Check the tube for cracking. Look under your abs sensor. Finally got the pictures to work. Had to send as an attachment.
Screenshot_20190807-233630.jpg
Screenshot_20190807-233637.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok.
I checked it this evening but the fluid still higher than the second hole almost 1cm. I will try to drive it around and I will let you know.
Can we use OBD scanning the problem of transmission?
Does the it affect with the smog check test? Cause I need the smog check test to renew my registration.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Ok.
I checked it this evening but the fluid still higher than the second hole almost 1cm. I will try to drive it around and I will let you know.
Can we use OBD scanning the problem of transmission?
Does the it affect with the smog check test? Cause I need the smog check test to renew my registration.
I think from all the extra fluid, being in hot weather and on the freeway made the fluid foam up. Recipe for disaster. Your trans should be ok thank God lol if it's up by that much you will be ok than. How's the color, smell and look of your trans fluid? I don't think it will tell you much of anything really. Only time it will is if something catastrophic would happen or it is having shifting issues that are extreme. Especially cuz of solenoids in the trans. You should be just fine if you have to get your registration done

·
Registered
513 Posts
Do you know how much for the transmission check if I wanna bring it to dealer?
I wouldn't waste your time unless your having problems with shifting, overheating, delayed shifting or jerking at varied speeds. You just lost alot of fluid so the trans didn't did have as much as it should have had. I would definitely change it if it was slipping. You don't want all that clutch material floating around in your ATF

·
Registered
513 Posts
Do you know how much for the transmission check if I wanna bring it to dealer?
Depends on what your checking for but, diagnosing is a black tunnel unless you take care of the obvious issues first like a fluid change. A trans can come back and have no issues just from a fluid change.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The color are red as and smell are normal. Not black at all.
I will check it tomorrow.
Thanks you very much and really appreciate for your help.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The color are red as and smell are normal. Not black at all.
I will check it tomorrow.
Thanks you very much and really appreciate for your help.
Ok good! Of course that's what I'm here for and I do the best I can to help anyone.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts