Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 Touring model that I am thinking of putting in the garage for 6 months while I am away. It does get hot during the summer months as the garage faces SW into the afternoon sun. I was thinking of pulling the battery out and bringing it inside the house which will be much cooler even when I am gone. And I know that changing the oil before storage is a good idea. Anything else to be concerned about?

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
1,308 Posts
Have you kept up with maintenance on things like the timing belt?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a 06 Touring model that I am thinking of putting in the garage for 6 months while I am away. It does get hot during the summer months as the garage faces SW into the afternoon sun. I was thinking of pulling the battery out and bringing it inside the house which will be much cooler even when I am gone. And I know that changing the oil before storage is a good idea. Anything else to be concerned about?
You may want to put it up on jack stands, and put some type of protection for mice, especially under the hood.
There’s several articles or threads about mice being a problem.

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
Lube the weatherstripping where it contacts the doors and tailgate. This helps avoid the doors becoming stuck to it.

Shin-Etsu from Honda is the best, but the silicone spray from your local auto parts store would help too.

Also, fill the tank with fresh gas (non-ethanol if at all possible), and add fuel stabilizer.

+1 to raise it on jack stands. If this is not possible, increase the air pressure in the tires. (Don't exceed their max PSI.)

·
Registered
638 Posts
I don’t think 6 months is that long a time. I routinely keep my cars in the garage for 9 months at a time without doing anything special. I do vote for filling the tank with non-ethanol gas. I don’t even bother with stabilizer for 9 months with non ethanol gas and it’s fine. Then connect a battery tender. That’s it. I don’t put on jack stands or anything. The first few miles after storage might be a little bumpy but after that, the tires will soften and be round again without flat spot unless they are super old tires. Nothing much to worry about if only storing for 6 months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts