Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Honday Odyssey with a 3rd row seat problem. The larger seat (passenger side) is stuck. From the flat (cargo) position I can pull it up and it engages just fine (and disengages to fold flat again). But pulling the strap to make it into a seat does not work. I can hear things moving and I think it may be working on the right side, but the left/middle doesn't seem to be working. Has anyone run into this problem? All I can find online are prior seat mechanisms that appear to be different than the 2006 seats.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Our 2005 is having the same issue. Anyone have a solution?

·
Registered
96 Posts
ok, unzipped the seat cover and started digging around. It appears the cable has jumped out of its normal position and when pulling the strap, there is not enough tension to pull the hook to release the seat.

it does appear that the yellow plastic piece on the cable is broken but after repositioning the cable to its correct location, I am able to release the seat and lift it back up. I don't know if this is a permanent fix but I'll put some good 'ol duct tape to the left of the cable to keep it properly positioned.

I will snap some pictures before I put everything back together.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Our 05 Touring has the same problem. I was able to fix it by "jiggling" the latch on the bottom of the seat. After that it worked just fine.:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Here are a couple pictures. Unzip the seat cover, pop the handle covers and you can access the cable. If you slowly pull on the strap, you will see which one is the release cable; its the one with the larger black cylinder that splits to two on the left side.

This is a picture of the cable that allows the seat to flip. The end of the cable is the same as the seat back release cable. The yellow clip on the end is what was broken on mine. Since the plastic was broken, the cable would slide back and not maintain enough tension to release the seat back. Secure it and you will be able to get your seat back upright again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
awesome!

Now I dont have to reach between the folded seat to pull on the short strap it has there.
I can now fix the the back strap to unfold the seat! Thanks for the update and the detailed pictures. Im sure this will come in handy for more Ody owners who has this problem.!

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have recently purchased a Pre-owned 2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L with 100 K miles on it and I just noticed today that the 3rd row seat (Split seat), the wider seat is not latching down. I am not sure what could have been wrong with it. I removed the 2nd row seats and un-latched the 3rd row seat to fold t into the trunk space for shampoo washing the carpet. After completing detailing, I was trying to put all the seats back in place, but I could not latch down the 3rd row wider seat. Is there any adjustment possible with the latches? Please share your thoughts. Appreciate your help.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Grr - The permissions on this forum don't allow me to edit my post.

Here are the two picts:

·
Registered
21 Posts
SYMPTOM: Rear 3rd Row Seat Back (smaller side) would not lock in place upright anymore by pulling either the back or front straps.

ENVIRONMENT: 2005 HONDA Odyssey TOURING (with Tan Leather Seats)

DIAGNOSIS: Rusty Lock Arm and Spring

SOLUTION: With the seat back held upright, ensure that the front (short) strap is not stuck in the outward position by pulling on it and releasing it back in until it is relaxed. Place a cloth in under the side seat hinge to catch any dripping rust about to fall. Spray WD-40 lubricating/cleaning oil generously above and down inside the visible iron inside the hinge in short blasts so that it would spread and run down inside the locking compartment. Then begin pulling and releasing the long back strap repeatedly while moving the seat back back and forth into different locking positions for about 15 seconds. Repeat spraying from the front of the hinge compartment. Cleanup dripping rust and repeat all of this about 3 times until the seat back lock/latch begins to engage.

If after 3 times there is still no success the latch needs to be forced down into its locking position with a flat head screwdriver from into the front of the seat's side hinge. Look for the shiny end of the lock cable where it goes though the shiny latch arm (use a light if necessary) and force it DOWN while moving the seat back into a possible upright locking position. Once locked, spray again but instead of pulling the strap over and over, force the arm up and down with the screwdriver trying not to push inward and cutting the little steel cable.

Test using the long strap and without holding the seat back but letting the strap do all the work as it is supposed to do. And don't take the seat apart like I did as there was no need.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Back Seat Problem

The strap doesn't release the seatback to the upright position. I strongly suggest you don't try to fix it from the back. The best way to fix it is through the cushion on the front.

First, open the back via the zipper and pull the cover to open as much as possible. You'll see the strap coming down under a plate. There is a lever under the plate that connects to two cables. Trying to fix it from this side is nearly impossible. You need to get the seat back upright first. Either with your fingers or with a clamp, secure the two cables against the plate and slowly pull the strap until you can get the seatback to release. Once released, bring the seatback up to the normal position and lock it upright.

Now go around to the front side of the seat, pull the seat cover up and look at it from the front side. There are three screws holding the plate, unscrew them. You'll see the two cables with the broken plastic ends, ours were yellow. The ends will have likely slid down the cables. Pull the ends up and push them back into position on the metal brackets, but one notch higher. See the attached pictures. We put a dab of construction adhesive on them to keep them from working loose.

Screw the plate back on and you're back in business.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 with exactly the same problem as the original post. Only 70k on the vehicle , bought new and carefully maintained. Seat is stuck in folded position and won't open to normal seating position. Drops into well and out no problem. Thanks to some excellent posts here I have removed the seat and have examined the cabling . Pulling either strap moves the mechanism inside the spring/ratchet assembly at the rotation point on the upper part of the seat to what looks like full movement. I can see the central shaft rotate but can't see the other side of the unit where I assume the ratchet and locking mechanism is located. I have soaked it WD40 overnight with no luck. It is rusted more than I would expect and has never been wet. Does anyone know how the ratchet/spring assembly works? Am I missing something? Time to buy a used seat?

thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
zipper

OK, dumb question... how do I zip it back up? The zipper has no slider or pull. Is there some magic tool for this? I've tried working the teeth together but it never holds.

ody_zipper.JPG

·
Registered
1 Posts
smaller third row seat stuck folded down

The strap doesn't release the seatback to the upright position. I strongly suggest you don't try to fix it from the back. The best way to fix it is through the cushion on the front.

First, open the back via the zipper and pull the cover to open as much as possible. You'll see the strap coming down under a plate. There is a lever under the plate that connects to two cables. Trying to fix it from this side is nearly impossible. You need to get the seat back upright first. Either with your fingers or with a clamp, secure the two cables against the plate and slowly pull the strap until you can get the seatback to release. Once released, bring the seatback up to the normal position and lock it upright.

Now go around to the front side of the seat, pull the seat cover up and look at it from the front side. There are three screws holding the plate, unscrew them. You'll see the two cables with the broken plastic ends, ours were yellow. The ends will have likely slid down the cables. Pull the ends up and push them back into position on the metal brackets, but one notch higher. See the attached pictures. We put a dab of construction adhesive on them to keep them from working loose.

How do I secure the cables as they are located between to metal plates with not much space in between and the screw sare on the front or downward side.?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you Jeff Riddell for the tip about going about this from the front of the seat. I would have wasted an hour trying to do this from the back.
My 2011 had a little different problem in that the cleat that holds the ball end of the cable bent and no longer held the ball end of the cable. This photo is from the front of the seat with the foam pulled up.

IMG_1742.jpg

With the Ball slotted back in the cleat I bent the cleat back in place with about one soft tap of a hammer. It is shockingly soft metal. I don't know if that soft cleat will outlast the vehicle but I sure hope so. I will be extra gentle on the pull cord from now on.

Thanks again for the tips and pointing me in the right direction.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you Jeff Riddell for the tip about going about this from the front of the seat. I would have wasted an hour trying to do this from the back.
My 2011 had a little different problem in that the cleat that holds the ball end of the cable bent and no longer held the ball end of the cable. This photo is from the front of the seat with the foam pulled up.

I have a 2008 Odyssey, how did you remove the front part of the seat? I have been trying to do that, btw I have leather seats too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Back Seat Problem

We have a similar problem. The bolt, clip, screw that holds the strap to the pulley fell off. How do we fix that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That happened to my 2008 exl leather too and after trying everything I could think of, I did what I read I. A post that seemed too easy but I tried it anyway. After I prayed, I sat on the back of the folded seat and bounced on it over and over and over and then I heard a click. Got off of it and pled the belt, walla it worked. Apparently water got in the trunk part when the seats were tucked away and everything got wet in there. It was rusted inside the seat, I noticed when I unzipped the seat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts