Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my '06 EX-L used and it's now over 106K. I don't think the timing belt was done. Should I have it done soon or don't worry about it? Anyone out there with similar van and mileage and what have you done and haven't? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Replace the TB pronto!

Also replace:
- tensioner
- all rollers
- Water Pump is an option, but I'd replace that too.
- Consider all seals (crank seal, cam seals).

·
Registered
375 Posts
Let's put it this way, if the timing belt breaks, can you afford a new engine? The engine is an interference engine so if the belt breaks the valves will stay open and either get bent or shoot through the head not to mention damaging the tops of the piston. I have seen it happen- it ain't pretty. I agree with CNN get all that stuff changed- since they are in there anyways. Also have them check the side engine mount- as they will have to disconnect it anyway- save some money on the labor.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My wife has an 06 EX-L with about 95,000 miles on it. I just recently replaced the serpentine belt / timing belt / water pump / tensioner, and a couple months ago the rear active motor mount. I would check the motor mount (search threads) to see if it is failing. Other things I have replaced in the last year are the rear shocks (pretty simple DIY) and rear brakes (another simple DIY, especially since I did the shocks at the same time.) Check the rear shocks for signs of oil - easiest to see if the shock is fully extended like jacking the van up. I also changed the spark plugs - my gas mileage went up 20% - another easy DIY job. Check to see if they replaced the power steering reservoir with a redesigned model (again search will help with identifying this). Doing a couple of transmission drain an fills probably isn't a bad idea - another easy DIY - the plug on the bottom is removed using a 3/8" rachet drive (no socket) and is easily filled using the dipstick tube and tubing that fits snuggly over the outside of the tube with a funnel on the other end. Next on my list is the rear wheel bearings, I'm hearing a sound like there is a snow tire on the driver rear - classic wheel bearing on the way out. Seems like some major stuff, but considering I haven't made a payment in 2 years but have spent less than $2k on repairs, I'm probably good to go for another couple years without any major work. Good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi guys, wow thanks for the replies, had no ideas it's an interference engine, i better get on it quick. I am pretty handy DIY, but I have to admit this Odyssey is pretty tight in the engine compartment. I did my the timing belt, water pump, all the seals, belts on my '01 toyota 4runner and that took me pretty much all day. I have to say, i was very skeptical about purchasing this van used. I read some horrible reviews out there, but i drove this van and it was super nice. I am glad i bought it, pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Changing plugs is actually pretty easy as access is pretty good once you take off the stupid plastic engine cover.

·
Registered
14 Posts
how do you get to the rear plugs? just going by feel? you can't really see them unless you remove the hood.
Yes, I just did it by feel. The only one that is a problem is the back driver's side plug. It wasn't bad, though. The entire job took me about 90 minutes (including torquing everything to spec). There is a great DIY somewhere on the this forum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
FYI, I got my timing belt, tensioner and water pump all changed for less than $600 in Lincoln, NE. It's not very expensive if you find the right place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, I just did it by feel. The only one that is a problem is the back driver's side plug. It wasn't bad, though. The entire job took me about 90 minutes (including torquing everything to spec). There is a great DIY somewhere on the this forum.
there's a very good write up by CNN. he used a mirror to see back there. i will be doing this job soon. how many miles did you have on your van you u changed the timing belt, water pump... ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
there's a very good write up by CNN. he used a mirror to see back there. i will be doing this job soon. how many miles did you have on your van you u changed the timing belt, water pump... ?
I just bought it with 121,000 miles and it had never been done. I had it changed within a week of buying it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Its a crap shoot. Buddy of mine has almost 200k miles on orig belt. No issues. Seen people have issues below 100k miles. Id say no need to do it asap but likely sooner rather than later. Seen $500-$1000 to replacde belt and related parts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Its a crap shoot. Buddy of mine has almost 200k miles on orig belt. No issues. Seen people have issues below 100k miles. Id say no need to do it asap but likely sooner rather than later. Seen $500-$1000 to replacde belt and related parts
Seriously? Why would you run it to 200k without changing it? That's just irresponsible. I saw mine at 122k after it came out and it was stretched and cupped. I'd rather pay $500 to have it changed now than to have to pay for new valves and a head when it breaks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The first thing you should do is either contact the dealer you bought it from or track down the original dealership that sold it. The place I bought my Touring from was nice enough to email me a service record with everything that had been done there. I was worried about this too since I'm at 118000 but it turns out everything mentioned above was done at 92000. Get yourself in touch with somebody that serviced the car and hopefully you can save yourself some worry and money at the same time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am in the same boat. 2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L. Purchased in April 2010 with 53,000 km and it is now at 88,000 km. Per Honda, you replace it either at 168,000 km or 7 years and I am going to be hitting 8 years in May since the vehicle was first on the road.
Price here in Toronto is steep at the dealership $898 + 13 % tax = C$ 1014 Plus they say, once pulling it apart, they might have to replace the timing belt tensioner which is another $170 plus tax, so I am looking at a bill of $1206 !! It is ridiculous. I will get a price quote from my local mechanic as well who I have been taking the Odyssey for the last 3 years and not much repair had to be done besides the oil change and rotor resurfacing. Or wait till I make a trip into Buffalo, NY and get it done there as looks like some of you got it done for $500 or so.

It is a double whammy for my as my other vehicle is a 1998 Honda Accord and that is due for a 2nd timing belt replacement and that also runs about $800 bucks at my local mechanic.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Search forum for Aisin Timing Belt Kit, about $160 or so on amazon.
Labor is separate.

In the "modern" world, you want to survive from a financial standpoint, you may have to learn to wrench...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts