Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I have some sad news my 2006 Odyssey needs a new transmission with only 167,00 miles on it. The cost for a rebuild or new can't remember is $5500.00. We just bought a manufactured home and can not fork out the money. I took very good care of this minivan, it is my pride and joy. Never been in an accident, always had maintenance done on it.
I have followed this group for years now and I love reading all the advice you give, now I need yours. What would you do? This is our second car, so it sits. Our other car is a Kia Soul (a shoebox compared to minivan).
Any advice is greatly appreciated? Thoughts are selling, if so, how much do you think?
Thank you

·
Registered
14 Posts
You should perhaps look around and get more estimates for the transmission replacement. If everything else is working well (and it sounds like you take care of it), it might be better to keep fix your car. Any replacement van could have unknown issues that would offset any cost savings.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I have some sad news my 2006 Odyssey needs a new transmission with only 167,00 miles on it. The cost for a rebuild or new can't remember is $5500.00. We just bought a manufactured home and can not fork out the money. I took very good care of this minivan, it is my pride and joy. Never been in an accident, always had maintenance done on it.
I have followed this group for years now and I love reading all the advice you give, now I need yours. What would you do? This is our second car, so it sits. Our other car is a Kia Soul (a shoebox compared to minivan).
Any advice is greatly appreciated? Thoughts are selling, if so, how much do you think?
Thank you
I have the same situation last year. I decided to have rebuilt transmission for about $3k with 3 yrs warranty since I love the van so much. I also did the TB and WP since I'm planning to keep the van for at least 3 years or until it engine die on me. You can see my post here - 2006 Honda Odyssey EXL (RES) original transmission die...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hello Everyone,
Thank you
Say more about maintenance. What transmission fluid did you use, how often and who did the maintenance? Did they change the filter? Did you do any towing?

While the 05-06 transmissions are generally considered less robust than the 07-10 transmissions, there are several members with well over 200K on their 05-06 transmissions.

At 167K I would seriously consider keeping the van, especially if it was well maintained. But shop around for better prices for rebuilds. Ask a few independent mechanics in your area, they usually have a good idea which shop rebuilds transmissions that last. If one shop stands out, go with them.

·
Registered
804 Posts
KEEP IT....I bought one of my Ody's new in 2006 and the factory transmission didn't blow until 2016 at 250k. When I took it to the transmission guy to have it rebuilt he said it was due for "another" rebuild. Meaning he couldn't believe the factory unit went that long.

He also said that Honda/Acura transmissions have a severe tendency to overheat and he's replaced some at 80k. He also put an additional cooling system in specifically to keep the transmission from heating up. I too got a 3 year and 100k warranty and originally it was quoted for $2,800 and ended up costing around $3,500 (there were a few other items found that needed to be replaced).

Based on used car prices nowadays my vote is absolutely get another transmission quote and even if you had to let it sit and eventually pay the $5,500 when you can, you would still be ahead. The fact you don't need it back on the road immediatly gives you a huge leg up.

I'm happy to talk more if you have more questions about rebuilding transmission or engine (I have done both)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Another possible option is a transmission from a wrecked van. Preferably with a warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts