Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

We test drove a 2006 EX-L and loved it. Its exterior and interior are in very good shape, and it seems to drive well. It looks like it was used to tow something as there was some sort of tow monitoring device installed.

The price is (when all is said and done) $16,900, however there are over 166,000 km (103,000 miles) on it. By way of comparison, a 2007 EX-L with 60,000 km (37,000 miles) is ~ $26,000. The dealer was also selling a 2005 EX with 100,000 km (60,000 miles) for ~$17,500.

We really like the 2006 EX-L but are a bit leery of the mileage - that seems to be an awful lot for 5 years or so, plus it was used to tow something.

Not having any experience with Odysseys, I thought I would ask: how many miles is a 2006 EX-L likely good for? Is this something we can reasonably expect to put in another 100,000 km (60,000 miles)? Is this vehicle likely to start having lots of maintenance issues or are Odyssey's pretty durable? I know a lot of that will depend on how its been maintained, but assuming proper maintenance, will this vehicle likely run well for the next five years or is it going to start requiring lots of expensive repairs?

Thanks for any advice you can give!
Westerly

·
Registered
613 Posts
There is a "A" Service coming up, that involves a timing belt and waterpump at minumum, its computer driven but seems to come up about 105k miles from what I read. That can run $650-900 US from what folks say and who they take it to, so factor that in. I'd also check the transmission fluid and give a sniff test. Is the tranny cooler installed adn PS cooler, or just a hitch?

I have a '06 exl and had to replace engine mounts some of which are electronic and pretty darn expensive, mine failed 55k so at 100k that might be something to check as well. (search here for that in detail and how to check).

Also have kids check the DVD there's an updated wire goes between the DVD and headunit that if its bad, the kids will start yelling the sound drops out. There's a tsb on that. also a recall on brake master cyl, ask dealer if that was done. rear shocks tend to leak and fail early, look at that.

I've had issues my first year of ownership (used buy last year) but it does have power and runs well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THanks for responding!

There is a "A" Service coming up, that involves a timing belt and waterpump at minumum, its computer driven but seems to come up about 105k miles from what I read. That can run $650-900 US from what folks say and who they take it to, so factor that in. I'd also check the transmission fluid and give a sniff test. Is the tranny cooler installed adn PS cooler, or just a hitch?
This vehicle was apparently serviced at the dealer, and they have complete service records. The timing belt has been replaced (forgot to ask about the waterpump...). The towing package was also installed by the dealer, and the cooler was installed.

I have a '06 exl and had to replace engine mounts some of which are electronic and pretty darn expensive, mine failed 55k so at 100k that might be something to check as well. (search here for that in detail and how to check).
The engine mounts haven't been serviced.

Also have kids check the DVD there's an updated wire goes between the DVD and headunit that if its bad, the kids will start yelling the sound drops out. There's a tsb on that.
This vehicle has an after-market DVD player where you load the DVD into the unit itself. Does what you describe still apply?

also a recall on brake master cyl, ask dealer if that was done. rear shocks tend to leak and fail early, look at that.
Thanks! Will look into that.

I've had issues my first year of ownership (used buy last year) but it does have power and runs well.
We were pretty impressed with this vehicle - just want a bit of assurance concerning the mileage before proceeding!

Thanks again,
W.

·
Registered
318 Posts
That's high mileage.

Nevertheless, have the front and rear bearings checked. Mine just failed and cost
a lot to fix at a dealership but 1/2 at an independent mechanic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again to both of you who responded.

After further consideration, we are now looking at a 2007 EX-L with <100,000 km (~60,000 miles) - for an extra $8k :-/

W.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts