Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '06 had the dreaded power steering pump failure that occurred after the warranty expired. I got the pump for $123 at O'Reilly Auto Parts and bought 4 pints of Honda Power Steering Fluid from the dealer ($23). The project took about 3 1/2 hours and that was with me going slowly and not rushing anything.

The new pump had non Honda fluid inside (factory testing?) so I purged it and primed it with Honda fluid while chucked up in the bench vise. My procedure was similar to this user's post:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77121&highlight=replace+power+steering+pump+odyssey

The process had no surprises other than getting used to the tight confines of the engine compartment. Three things will make your replacement easier:

1. use a rope or ratcheting strap to hold the hood in a vertical position (way past prop-rod position) via a roof rack rail. This gets the hood way up out of your way and prevents the prop rod from interfering while you work.
2. Completely remove the reservoir. Its absence, along with the pump supply hose frees up a lot of space for working.
3. Definitely remove the pulley as the other user's thread suggests. This also makes removal of the pump easier due to the tight confines.

Post a reply if you are going to undertake this project and I will email you a PDF scan of the factory service/repair manual for this procedure.

T

·
Registered
606 Posts
Ok just curious, did you also replace the fluid tank with PN 53701-SHJ-A02 (updated)?

If not you can do this easily.

I am going to try the tank fix and see if that works for me before putting a pump on mine.

Thnks for posting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried the tank fix first, which did no good. Apparently the faulty tank/filter allows system contamination and self destruction.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My '06 had the dreaded power steering pump failure that occurred after the warranty expired. I got the pump for $123 at O'Reilly Auto Parts and bought 4 pints of Honda Power Steering Fluid from the dealer ($23). The project took about 3 1/2 hours and that was with me going slowly and not rushing anything.

The new pump had non Honda fluid inside (factory testing?) so I purged it and primed it with Honda fluid while chucked up in the bench vise. My procedure was similar to this user's post:

Power Steering Pump Replacement DIY

The process had no surprises other than getting used to the tight confines of the engine compartment. Three things will make your replacement easier:

1. use a rope or ratcheting strap to hold the hood in a vertical position (way past prop-rod position) via a roof rack rail. This gets the hood way up out of your way and prevents the prop rod from interfering while you work.
2. Completely remove the reservoir. Its absence, along with the pump supply hose frees up a lot of space for working.
3. Definitely remove the pulley as the other user's thread suggests. This also makes removal of the pump easier due to the tight confines.

Post a reply if you are going to undertake this project and I will email you a PDF scan of the factory service/repair manual for this procedure.

T

Tch105. I'm new to the Odyclub. I've got an 06 Odyssey and I too am having loud grinding noise coming from my PS pump. I just bought a re-mfg part from Napa Auto Parts and want to replace it. You mention in your post that you could possibly send the Honda service/repair manual for this procedure. Is that still the case? Any help would be great!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 Odyssey that is making noise. Dealer says there is a leak causing air which is causing the noise. They want over $600 to fix it. I want to do it myself and save some cash. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The noise is likely the pump and the price sounds like they are quoting you pump replacement. There is a recall campaign to replace or reimburse replacement expenses if your van has less than 100,000 miles. If you are over the mileage you can do it yourself in about 4 hours per my original post above (if you are mechanically inclined).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More background on the pump: the supplier for the power steering reservoir is the source of the problem. Faulty reservoirs had filters that either clogged and starved the pump of fluid or did not filter debris (i don't know which) and thus caused pump damage. If you replace the pump you need to replace the reservoir as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having the same trouble on my '06. It has about 130,000- I guess compared to others I got lucky. If you're lucky enough to find the right O-ring it does help. I went to auto parts store and they wanted $30 for the O-ring kit, not sure what was included but I'm not spending that much on O-rings. Instead I picked up a $5 O-ring kit for air conditioners there at the parts store (had about 40 different sizes). I found one that was slightly larger than the original, I couldn't find one that matched perfectly.

That fixed the issue for a month or two. Ours only whines when it's cold, today it is in the 20's so I just picked up a new pump. Will replace it tonight (with a space heater in garage).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Completed the power steering pump replacement job. I wasn't looking forward to this job because somewhere I heard someone say this is a 4 hour job. There is another article (see link below) that someone said it took them 2 hours. Total job time was 1 hour (from opening the box to putting the tools away), and cost me $140 including all new fluid. There was a $75 core charge from my local store. I don't know why I didn't do this job sooner!

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/77121-power-steering-pump-replacement-diy.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
A03 installation

Waiting for the A03 pump to arrive. Hope to start this project on 20 Nov. A PDF scan would be most helpful. Thanks [email protected]

Installed the A03 pump along with a new O-ring. Hardest part of the job was removing the belt. When I finally realized that I was not going to break it I put enough pressure to loosen the belt. From that point it was a piece of cake. Not to mention, it fixed my problem. My local foreign car repair shop had replaced the pump twice with the old part number and twice it had problems. Driving down a flat road I could turn the wheel and feel a jerking in the steering wheel. Didn't matter if it was cold or hot. Replaced the pump and I could feel the same problem going home from the shop and the repairmen drove the van before I picked it up so I decided to order the new part number and O-ring and change it myself. Car steers better than when it was new.

·
Registered
1 Posts

have the 2006 touring. Would like to get the .pdf so I can replace my power steering pump.
Thank you in advance for the PDF how to by factory.

:) [email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
cnn is right.
This is very famous issue and already resolved.
If you live near dealer shop, why don't you try to replace only o-ring.
I and my friend got a satisfactory result with replacing o-ring.
Replacement is very simple!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I replaced the O ring and that solved the problem for about 2 months!!now I am back to square #1 I have to replace the ps pump. Can someone plz email the PDF scan of the factory service/repair manual for this procedure PLZ .
:redface:[email protected]

1 - 20 of 38 Posts