Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to change the pads on the rear brakes.. I have been reading that you just need a c clamp to compress.. is this the case.. does anyone have experience with the process.. I tried looking all over but could not find anything ..

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yes, all you need is something to compress piston back. If you do not have a C-clamp, just push against the piston (a tool will do) and it'll retract for you. It only needs to compress enough to get over the new pads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The rear rotor caliper is different than the front. You will need a tool to "rescrew" the piston in. Since it is connected to the parking brake, there is an additional step. Remember to crack the bleeder screw otherwise your ABS will be gone and you'll risk a leak.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello all, cnn had done an outstanding job describing changing front / rear rotors (many thanks!!!), however, I did not find anything regarding changing rear brake pads, specifically, how parking brake relates to rear brakes, and how to replace worn out rear brake pads with new ones... Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Max

·
Registered
10 Posts
The rear rotor caliper is different than the front. You will need a tool to "rescrew" the piston in. Since it is connected to the parking brake, there is an additional step. Remember to crack the bleeder screw otherwise your ABS will be gone and you'll risk a leak.
So then, what IS "an additional step"? Anyone? ~smile~

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I did my '06 rear pads myself and do not recall anything out of the ordinary to compress the caliper. I have a simple screw type caliper compressor that I use and it did the job without any screw type motion on the piston.

·
Registered
10 Posts
By the way, I was told to read this CNN post with regards to my questions about changing front / rear brake pads. This is an awesome & very well-detailed post from cnn, however there is absolutely nothing about changing front / rear brake pads, since it is focusing primarily on changing rotors... I am not complaining, or anything... just an observation... Thank you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts