Honda Odyssey Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Have Autozone test the alternators before you put them in. Also, did you have them test the original alternator?

Finally, if the one that is in the car tests bad at the store, talk to the manager and ask for credit on a Denso unit, or contact Autozone central.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
When they test them they will test good because they put out 14.5 volts. They need a high load, like 100A, put on them before you'll see the failure. The Odyssey with electric doors, dual HVAC units and all the other gadgets pulls a lot of load. If the alternator can't keep up you'll see the battery light flicker on and off when a radiator cooling fan toggles on and off.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
High loads are not normally continuous, and is something that can be simulated, by operating the accessories, while monitoring alternator voltage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here are the relevant pages from the SM if you decide to do a thorough troubleshooting. It does not look that complicated. You can get a basic multimeter in Harborfreight for $6 and sometimes they give them away for free if you buy something at their store.
Please report back if you find the problem but my guess at this point is that you have a bad voltage regulator or a bad connection from the alternator to the frame or the fuse box.

I replaced mine with a Denso rebuilt (by Denso) one. Drove about 3k since the replacement with no issues so far (knock on wood) :). Good luck!

41 - 45 of 45 Posts