Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We paid this van off in May 2013 and since then, other than maintenance, we replaced the alternator ($600) and starter ($575) at the dealer each with a 3 year warranty. That's it.

178,000 miles now. I drain and fill the transmission every 4 months. Very happy with this purchase (bought Oct 2007 with 17,000 miles). A great track record considering we've been able to drive it almost 6 years without major issues after it was paid off!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I assume "maintenance" includes timing belt at 105K?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drain and filling the transmission every 4 months? why? I would not be a fan of doing that as normal maintenance for any car.
My thought is that if I do it 4-5 times, the fluid will be 95% changed in the transmission which will be good for a while...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
That's true, but after the initial "95% change" via 3-4 drain and refills, you probably only need to do it once a year. As John Clark recommends, every other oil change. Nothing wrong with what you ae doing, just probably over kill in my opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Regarding changing the automatic transmission fluid, I drained / refilled it 4 times (driving 20 miles in between each) and after that I do drain/fills once a year. I am hoping this will help so the automatic transmission to never fail. I have two 2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L's with Navigation and DVD with 110k and 124k miles. I hope to keep both 12 more years and take each to 250k miles on original never repaired automatic transmission. Nothing beats these cars for luxury and value in the used car market.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm cruising past 190K now.. I've long decided that I'm not touching the trans fluid at all anymore. Last change was somewhere around 150K. Still running great so we'll run it into the ground and then get a new one :)

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I have two 2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L's with Navigation and DVD with 110k and 124k miles. I hope to keep both 12 more years and take each to 250k miles on original never repaired automatic transmission. Nothing beats these cars for luxury and value in the used car market.
re: Nothing beats these cars for luxury

Have you driven a Gen 4? They added a lot technology to your 06 "luxury" so I would say the Gen 4 beats the Gen 3's in that regard. Hey, I'm an Ody fan myself, but I know that there are much more luxurious cars and SUV's out there. After all, things have changed an awful lot in 13 years.

re: and value in the used car market

If you are planning to keep your vans for 12 more years, why do you care whether they hold their value or not? Do you expect your vehicles to have any value in 2031?

Maybe you'll be able to make some cyber currency by letting people land in your driveway to check out your antique van. "Hey Dad...why does than van have wheels?" :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
re: Nothing beats these cars for luxury

Have you driven a Gen 4? They added a lot technology to your 06 "luxury" so I would say the Gen 4 beats the Gen 3's in that regard. Hey, I'm an Ody fan myself, but I know that there are much more luxurious cars and SUV's out there. After all, things have changed an awful lot in 13 years.

re: and value in the used car market

If you are planning to keep your vans for 12 more years, why do you care whether they hold their value or not? Do you expect your vehicles to have any value in 2031?

Maybe you'll be able to make some cyber currency by letting people land in your driveway to check out your antique van. "Hey Dad...why does than van have wheels?" :)
I second that on the luxury. I love my 2006 EX, but I just got a 2011 EX-L and wow, what a difference. That being said, I prefer the handling of the 2006, since it drives more like a car than a van. But for a trip? Gimme the Gen 4 any day...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I second that on the luxury. I love my 2006 EX, but I just got a 2011 EX-L and wow, what a difference. That being said, I prefer the handling of the 2006, since it drives more like a car than a van. But for a trip? Gimme the Gen 4 any day...
Thanks for the replies to my post. The 4th Gen and its VCM 2 engine chronically burns oil and a lot of them on the used car market have probably ran low on oil and could quite possibly have internal engine damage which is hard to determine. The 3rd Gen VCM I is flawless in my opinion. My 2 2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L's don't use any oil between oil changes, and they get 28 MPG on the highway. I have a scan gauge installed on both. I'll try to drive a 4th gen sometime to see what you mean.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Thanks for the replies to my post. The 4th Gen and its VCM 2 engine chronically burns oil and a lot of them on the used car market have probably ran low on oil and could quite possibly have internal engine damage which is hard to determine. The 3rd Gen VCM I is flawless in my opinion. My 2 2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L's don't use any oil between oil changes, and they get 28 MPG on the highway. I have a scan gauge installed on both. I'll try to drive a 4th gen sometime to see what you mean.
re: "The 3rd Gen VCM I is flawless in my opinion"

Have you ever driven a 3rd Gen EX-L with VCM disabled? Many drivers, including myself, immediately noticed a difference in driveablilty once we disabled the VCM with the VCMuzzler.

No more lag in acceleration, more consistent cruise control, etc. "Flawless" is not a word I would use when describing the VCM system in a 2006 EX-L, in my opinion.

In addition. the only VCM related issue you've mentioned was oil consumption. You didn't mention anything about fouled spark plugs and failed motor mounts, 2 of the other possible downsides of VCM.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is Dodge country where I live, but Ody's run a close second in how many I see on the road, even the Gen3 ones. I think we here much more here in the forum, since this is where the problematic van owners come. But a poll of ALL the owners would probably not be as bad as I imagine. I'm thinking most owners just drive and change their oil.

My van had 80K on the clock when I purchase it, vcm working. I got around 30 mpg on my trip back from FL to PA . It had been maintained by an older gent who had all the work done at the dealer. On the 900 mile trip it didn't burn an ounce of oil, and it's still clear. Either I have a unicorn, or there are more of them, we just don't see them here in the forums.

But I still purchased the VCM tunerII the week that I returned. It's not worth taking the chance. What drawbacks are there to purchasing it? None that I can think of. $80-120 doesn't seem like a bad investment, if for nothing else than just the peace of mind.

The point is: I have a good van, you have a good van, but that hardly makes the system flawless.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
DerbyDad03
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing