Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First things first...

1. Thank you to all the people that have contributed to this forum, allowing me to learn from your knowledge. Immensely grateful.
2. Before asking this question I did quite a bit of keyword research on the topic. I couldn't find what I was looking for, essentially...an opinion.

My question;
If you had driven 60K on a dealership installed timing belt and water pump, how concerned would you be to have that service performed again at the 7 year interval recommendation?

I ask because the Odyssey in question is a gently driven, one owner, dealership serviced vehicle. It had the timing belt/water pump service at 94k, the vehicle now has 156k, but...it's approaching that 7 year service interval.

Thanks for taking the time to offer your opinion.

Ps My Mom retired from American Honda Motor Corp, the American "mother ship" of Honda. She is so proud that this Odyssey is one of the last Odysseys to be built in Japan. I ran the VIN on the rig for other reasons...didn't have the heart to tell her it was "born" in Alabama.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,929 Posts
Not urgent, but consider getting it done soon.

Watch for a tick on cold start as a sign of a failing timing belt tensioner. That is the biggest concern, not the belt itself.

·
Registered
11 Odyssey EX-L
25 Posts
I have done over 100 Odyssey timing belt and water pump replacements, this is a brief summary of my limited experience. Aisin kits with koyo parts (TKH-002) is as close to OEM Honda parts that you can get without going to the stealership. Those components (like OEM Honda parts) when properly installed typically last well over 120k miles, typical failure occurs around 160k to 190k and that is usually the water pump or the hydraulic tensioner assembly and not the timing belt itself. Unfortunately I commonly see failure of NPW water pumps and Gates kits with pumps fail as early as 50k to 60k after being done by installation sticker (when it's there) The hydraulic actuators that I typically see fail are no name and non-marked tensioners, Asian tensioners and Honda tensioners when removed at over 100k mi have oil seeping like a leaky shock but not blown out with no hydraulic tension which then causes the ticking or rattling noise while the engine is running. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, if you have the income for preventative maintenance then address it when you feel comfortable and have the piece of mind. I hope this in a way addresses your question.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,929 Posts
I have done over 100 Odyssey timing belt and water pump replacements, this is a brief summary of my limited experience. Aisin kits with koyo parts (TKH-002) is as close to OEM Honda parts that you can get without going to the stealership. Those components (like OEM Honda parts) when properly installed typically last well over 120k miles, typical failure occurs around 160k to 190k and that is usually the water pump or the hydraulic tensioner assembly and not the timing belt itself. Unfortunately I commonly see failure of NPW water pumps and Gates kits with pumps fail as early as 50k to 60k after being done by installation sticker (when it's there) The hydraulic actuators that I typically see fail are no name and non-marked tensioners, Asian tensioners and Honda tensioners when removed at over 100k mi have oil seeping like a leaky shock but not blown out with no hydraulic tension which then causes the ticking or rattling noise while the engine is running. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, if you have the income for preventative maintenance then address it when you feel comfortable and have the piece of mind. I hope this in a way addresses your question.
Aisin and Honda tensioners absolutely can fail early. Has happened countless times here.

Reactions: kitol

·
Registered
11 Odyssey EX-L
25 Posts
The hydraulic tensioner is just a common failure point of the timing design of this engine. I'm just giving Aisin and Honda parts a lower failure likelyhood than the white box no name tensioners some people can get their hands on. There is a quality difference but nothing is perfect or lasts forever.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Use this for what it is worth. At 8.5 years and ~47K miles, my tensioner (original Honda) was leaking, but not making the tapping noise (or if it was it wasn't too loud). You can monitor for noise, but....

The tensioner can bite you; I would not go past about 8 years even if mileage is low.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have done over 100 Odyssey timing belt and water pump replacements, this is a brief summary of my limited experience. Aisin kits with koyo parts (TKH-002) is as close to OEM Honda parts that you can get without going to the stealership....
Just to add a little food for thought....

Hondas timing belt has the word Unitta printed on it. Unitta is the Gates brand name in Asia.

The Gates TCK and TCKWP kits also contain Koyo rollers and an Aisin tensioner (for the TCKWP). However you are correct, the Gates water pump is crap (had one fail in 6 months). Therefore to get maximum OEM goodness in aftermarket boxes, I recommend the following....

Gates TCK kit (belt & rollers)
Aisin tensioner (purchased separate)
Aisin or OEM (Yamada/YNA) water pump (also purchased separate)

BTW, sometimes you can get the Gates TCK kits in an AcDelco box for a few bucks cheaper.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,929 Posts

Hondas timing belt has the word Unitta printed on it. Unitta is the Gates brand name in Asia.

The Gates TCK and TCKWP kits also contain Koyo rollers and an Aisin tensioner (for the TCKWP). However you are correct, the Gates water pump is crap (had one fail in 6 months). Therefore to get maximum OEM goodness in aftermarket boxes, I recommend the following....

BTW, sometimes you can get the Gates TCK kits in an AcDelco box for a few bucks cheaper.
Nothing wrong with the Aisin kit parts. The belt is made by Mitsuboshi, and before moving to Unitta, Mitsuboshi was the OE parts supplier.

·
Registered
2010 EX-L
5,071 Posts

Or you could simply buy the Aisin timing belt kit for $180 which includes all quality parts, including the water pump.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Aisin uses Mitsuboshi timing belts in their kits. While Honda does use Mitsuboshi for higher quality drive-belts (Ishino/Stone for the cheaper ones), they use Gates/Unitta almost exclusively for their timing belts. I'm always on the lookout for "OEM in an aftermarket box".

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,929 Posts
Aisin uses Mitsuboshi timing belts in their kits. While Honda does use Mitsuboshi for higher quality drive-belts (Ishino/Stone for the cheaper ones), they use Gates/Unitta almost exclusively for their timing belts.
They do now. But in the past Mitsuboshi was their supplier for timing belts as well. So it's clearly still good quality.

Reactions: thscott

·
Registered
2010 EX-L
5,071 Posts
Never on a performance model. 9k rpm B16B uses a Unitta belt. This is why I personally choose Gates.

But yeah I think Mitsuboshi is used on Toyotas as OEM still.
I think you are missing the point. Mitsubishi was the Honda OEM timing belt for many years. There is no reason not to consider the Aisin kit with that belt.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sure there is. Gates is a better belt based on Hondas past history of using them exclusively on ALL performance models. No performance model that I've seen ever had a Mitsuboshi belt. This is my opinion based on my research.....which I then share with others.

So.... if you can get a supposedly better belt based on Hondas historical inside choices....for about the same price.....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Oh, and I'll also add that's Gates literature guarantees the aftermarket timing belt they sell is identical to the OEM part. Something I don't think Mitsuboshi does (based on people here claiming Mitsuboshi aftermarket DRIVE belts are thinner than Honda/Mitsuboshi drive belts).

***Edit: BTW I promise I'm not arguing. I'm just explaining my rationale.

·
Registered
2010 EX-L
5,071 Posts
I appreciate your rationale and explanation.
I have no data, but it’s been stated here over the years that Gates belts are not as good as they used to be. Also that the Gates branded belts are not as good as their Unitta branded belts even though they are both made by Gates. This could all just be hearsay.

·
Registered
690 Posts
FWIW, when I installed the Aisin TKH002 kit earlier this year I compared all the old parts to their respective new parts. Each new part looked identical to the corresponding old part. I stared for a long time at both water pumps and could find no differences. This was on our 2012 Accord V6.

·
Registered
79 Posts
FWIW, when I installed the Aisin TKH002 kit earlier this year I compared all the old parts to their respective new parts. Each new part looked identical to the corresponding old part. I stared for a long time at both water pumps and could find no differences. This was on our 2012 Accord V6.
Just did the belt recently with the Aisin kit and agree with above as I also looked closely at the various bits.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts