Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone has a step by step for a 2006 Odyssey Timing Belt replacement (with photos)?

I am at 102,000+ and will be doing the belt this weekend. So far no luck finding a rapair manual.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My step by step for replacing the timing belt is:

1- Drive to dealer.
2- Tell them to replace the timing belt.
3- Pay bill.
4- Drive home.

I guess I'm not mechanically inclined. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Try the "Periodic Maintenance" section in the General Forums list. I thnk all of the info is in there. If you are not a motor nut, you may be better off having it done. It is a pretty big, technical job. If you don't get things timed right, you could really mess things up. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another option is to purchase a subscription to Alldata. I think a one year subscription is $16.95 and is pretty useful depending on how much work you intend to do yourself.

·
Registered
463 Posts
You must be one experienced mechanic to do that yourself. I would like to try it myself, but the price for a mistake is too great. You may find some of the horror stories from others during your search of this forum. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone has a step by step for a 2006 Odyssey Timing Belt replacement (with photos)?

I am at 102,000+ and will be doing the belt this weekend. So far no luck finding a rapair manual.
This guy helped a lot! I added some notes that will also help for those attempting to do this big job

I would like to add, for anyone doing this job to have a few things handy:
An extra hand to pop that bolt off the crank pulley! It was a bitch to take off.
Also, look up the torque values ahead of time for each component. It took me awhile to get them all
I went ahead and did the water pump while I was in there. I checked out another video to do that. Draining the reservoir was not enough. Since I didn't know all the details, I got a flood of coolant that drained onto my work area. I hope it doesn't come back to haunt me.
All in all, it took me twice as long to do this as I imagined. That frozen bolt on the crank pulley cost me hours of distress. I finally decided to take the chance of torching the bolt and then cooling it down a couple of times and after a broken ratcheting breaker bar, which I would not recommend using, I finally popped it off. Popped it off is the operative word!! It was a very cathartic experience to do the whole job. If you have the time and don't have the money to have someone else do it, go for it!! The cost savings are hard to compare as I also replaced many of the components including the pulley system for the serpentine belt and that passenger side motor mount. The squealing I had before went away. Even with those extra things, I still saved about $400. I used Honda parts on the water pump, the tensioner for the timing belt, the timing belt and the serpentine belt. The other parts I bought OEM parts.

·
Registered
788 Posts
An extra hand to pop that bolt off the crank pulley! It was a bitch to take off.
Use the starter bump start method. No help needed, takes two seconds and much heartache.

Draining the reservoir was not enough. Since I didn't know all the details, I got a flood of coolant that drained onto my work area.
Drain only from the block. You lose only a few cups of coolant.

It was a very cathartic experience to do the whole job.
Yes, as I was taking everything apart I asked myself, "What the hell am I doing!" Then putting everything together, I though, "I'm so glad I'm doing this myself." I remember the feeling when I started it up and it started purring. "Yeeessss!"

Congrats to you for the DIY!

PS. there is a thread on the forum dedicated just to the DIY TB install for both 2nd and 3rd gens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts