Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 EX-L. It was parked outside yesterday and it rained overnight (normal NJ rain, not heavy or wind-swept). When I got in yesterday morning and continuing through today (was still wet outside this morning), I observed the following functions do not work:
1) Turn signals
2) "Lights on" indicator on dashboard (but headlights and taillights do turn on)
3) Mist and delay wipers (low speed works sometimes, but high speed works)
4) Rear wiper
5) wiper wash function (front and rear)
6) Power sliding door switches
7) Power locks
The car runs fine, and I checked several other functions that all seem to work including A/C system, power windows, radio, power mirrors, dash lights. By way of background, it does need new engine mounts and about 1 year ago I had to have the main fuse panel completely replaced by the dealer. I am stumped because the scattered failures suggest it is not a single circuit and it is not a single switch mechanism (e.g., some wiper controls work but others don't so it's not a bad wiper switch, etc.). Also, though it rained, these systems failed when I got in the car, before I even drove so it should not be water getting into components that are sheltered such as the main fuse panel, etc.

Any idea what this could be other than a poltergeist that took shelter from the rain in my car and now refuses to leave? I am debating if I should take it to a dealer or an exorcist?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Only thing I can think of is a bad ground wire somewhere. A wiring diagram and show a common ground point for all those items.
That could cause the power to backfeed through another item.
I suppose just checking the two main grounding points is worthwhile also. One is from the neg bat post to the frame the radiator is mounted to and the other is from that same frame (but closer to the radiator) to the engine.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixed !?! Thanks!!!

Buffalo4, thank you. I took off the shroud over the radiator and located the main ground on the top of the radiator frame. It looked a little rusty so I took it off, sanded down the wire connector and the frame, then reattached and put a drop of 3-in-1 oil on it for protection and everything started working again! I also checked the ground below the fuse panel by the emergency brake - they looked good and the screw was tight (they are inside the car so they should not corrode). Hopefully everything keeps working - don't want to have to start using hand signals again to turn once the weather gets cold. I also located the second ground you mentioned - it is a bundle of bare (un-insulated) copper wire that appears to connect directly to the starter. The wires have some corrosion (some green tinted wires in the bundle). Would anyone recommend anything that can be done to protect from further corrosion? Perhaps spray with WD-40 or is this something that never really becomes a problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TSB is very interesting - had similar (but not identical problems). However, my problems did start after it rained and I didn't mess with the ground connections it until it was nice (2 days later). Now I have to wait for next rainstorm to see if my "Fix" was just coincidentally when the car dried out - in which case I will do the TSB repair and cross my fingers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not fixed ...

So, after working for about 2 weeks, the same symptoms reappeared (though intermittently failing). Although we have not had rain, I figured maybe it was condensation and proceeded to follow the TSB. Took apart the rear inside cover and found the inside fender completely dry. I sprayed outside with water and not a drop of water leaked in, therefore no need to remove and reseal the door cable return. I went to remove the mentioned foam block, but there is none in my car - perhaps they stopped installing it late in the 2006 model run (I purchased at the end of the model year). However, I did pull out the connector. It was dry and showed no signs of any water intrusion. I blew it out with some air and packed it with dielectric grease, then closed everything up. The end result ... no luck. But driving to work this morning, everything started working again. So, still an intermittent problem that appears to stem from that wire harness. I can live without power doors, power locks, high beams and high-speed wipers, but I don't think it is safe to drive without turn signals so it looks like *another* trip to the dealer (over 2 visits, I just spent $2,700 for 3 new motor mounts, new rear brakes, new serpentine belt and tensioner and alignment - probably over half the total value of car. Had I known all these costly problems would rear up, I would have probably traded this station car in for a cheap lease). However, I welcome any additional suggestions before taking it in.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
It sure sounds like a grounding problem. I would guess you would need to have an electrical diagram that might show a common ground that those non-working items all use.
That grounding wire that you found that was bare and had some corrosion is where you are supposed to connect the NEG clamp when jump starting the vehicle. Spraying WD-40 or some other corrosive preventing product on it wouldn't hurt but it is not your problem.

If I can find a common ground for those items, I will post it. A clue may be the grounding (return path) that the WW uses for slow and fast, etc.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
On my 2003 Ody, there is a bolt near the front, near the WW fluid reservoir neck and coolant reservoir, called G201, that goes into the fender. That bolt gives ground for many of the items you mentioned. Perhaps, if yours is the same. check that bolt. There should be several wires going to it.
Easy to do and also free. I suppose you could also do a temporary jumper to that bolt from a known good ground, such as the bare wire connection point or the Neg terminal of the battery to see if those things now work.
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/155310-2005-2006-honda-odyssey-electrical-troubleshooting-manual.html .
That link will take you to a post that shows you how to get the 2005-2006 Ody electrical troubleshooting manual. I haven't tried it.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just saw your question. No problems appeared for the last year, but this past weekend, I had what may be a related problem that seems focused on the wires in the driver side rear quarter panel. I got a "check fuel cap" message on the dash and the power door stopped working (it would not even let me open the door manually?). I double checked that the fuel cap was on tight and I made sure the fuel door was shut firmly. At first, no change in the message. However, the next morning the remote door switch worked, just leaving the check fuel cap warning on. That went off the following day and all is (so far) back to normal. I have noticed that the carpet in the storage well is wet and I think the water may be coming in on the driver side (not yet sure if it is coming from the roof seam, around the window, the sliding door track or elsewhere. Perhaps this water intrusion is continuing to cause electric problems? I am going to post about the water leak and see if anyone has an idea. Good luck with your van. If you haven't done anything yet, I would suggest at least starting out by following the TSB instructions (fill the plug with grease and try to keep it away from any water).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Original problem back after 1++ years (and very intermittent). I am thinking it is indeed a ground issue and found references to Ground 601 that appears to control many of the affected systems, but can't figure out where Ground 601 is located (and can't seem to open the manuals). Anyone know where Ground 601 is located on a 2006 Odyssey EX-L?

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
G601, at least in my 2007-2010 manual, is located behind the left front kickpanel. right near the hood cable bracket.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks - found it. Pulled off kickpanel, unbolted fuel door release so I could unbolt the ground. After moving ground wires out of the way, I used a drill wire brush to grind through the paint where the wires attach. rebolted wires to body but also installed a lock-washer (the one with all the little teeth) between the wires and the body to increase contact between the car body and wires. Everything working so far this morning - hopefully it just keeps working!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks - found it. Pulled off kickpanel, unbolted fuel door release so I could unbolt the ground. After moving ground wires out of the way, I used a drill wire brush to grind through the paint where the wires attach. rebolted wires to body but also installed a lock-washer (the one with all the little teeth) between the wires and the body to increase contact between the car body and wires. Everything working so far this morning - hopefully it just keeps working!
Did that finally fix the problem?? I'm having the same issues.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My 07 ex-l experiencd a similar but slightly different set of symptons after a heavy rain last year. The bulletin john clark provided wasnt what was going on in my case either.
Dry weather did not diminish the problem which included:
Started with alarm going off. I was in the vehicle, key fob couldnt turn it off.
Many instrument cluster gauges active along with cluster illuminated, no key in ignition. Gauges remain on until battery drained.
Engine no start.
Resetting by pulling battery power, engine started but would not shut off with key removed. Ran until I pulled fuel pump fuse.
A fast clicking sound under the hood maybe starter.
I found nothing anywhere wet and van seems to be leak free.
Upon advice from odyclub members I started pulling fuses at drivers door kick panel.
Pulling #7 symptons disappeared. Interior lights now inop except when ign switch in on position.
Problem still exists, I leave the fuse out.
I surmise its an issue with the "modules" computerized system, and a random module got wet, is still bad and causing havoc with unrelated systems.
Nearly impossible to diagnose without HDS and electrical troubleshooting manual.
(Can anyone help me with that... contacted the guy in the sticky. No response from him)

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Is that a 7.5A fuse labeled Back Up?
Hopefully someone will be able to tell you what it protects and give you a circuit diagram.
Perhaps it is controlling a relay that is now stuck.
Strange name Back Up and not meaning backup lights.

Put "what does the Backup fuse protect in an Odyssey" (without the quotes) in Google or similar and you will get some good hits. Some are for an 07 also.

Buffalo4

1 - 18 of 18 Posts