Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the original owner a 2006 Odyssey with 91K miles, after changing the tranny fluid (drain & refill w/ Honda tranny fluid) the transmission started making a whining sound. Took it to 2 independent mechanics who verified the tranny is bad and to a Honda dealer where a diagnostics determined it was bad. My extended warranty expired after 85,200 miles. I've religiously changed the fluid every 15k miles and stuck to the maintenance schedule. Called of Honda of NA who is working with the dealer to see what they can do. I don't trust those bastards at all, I want the tranny replaced and paid 100% by Honda. This van sucks!! Brake pads replaced by recall, brake master "o" ring and power steering pump replaced, motor mount replaced under warranty and now the tranny. I will never buy and American made Honda ever again.

·
Registered
318 Posts
This is beginning to scare me. I'm approaching 87k and mine (well, wife's) is
doing very well. Like you I'm very diligent in maintenance (includes transmission fluid flush).

I hope you get some positive response from Honda NA.

·
Registered
755 Posts
if your vehicle didn't make the whining noise before you drain and refilled the tranny oil, i would check your oil level first and go from there. maybe the dealership did something wrong

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if your vehicle didn't make the whining noise before you drain and refilled the tranny oil, i would check your oil level first and go from there. maybe the dealership did something wrong
That's the first thing I did, level was fine. The detergents in the new fluid seem to unmask problems.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've religiously changed the fluid every 15k miles and stuck to the maintenance schedule. QUOTE]

I'm very sorry to hear about your recent troubles. I surely hope Honda will take care of you.

Question: What ATF did you use?

~Mindoro

·
Registered
372 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used the Honda ATF, every part I've used is from Honda. Honda of NA quoted the transmission replacement @ $4275, they said our cost is $1950. I want them to pay for it all!! I have all my service records indicating tranny fluid changes every 15K miles performed at Honda dealers. Any idea how to make them pay 100% of the bill?

·
Registered
755 Posts
hmm... first i would complain this to Honda. Honda as the company, not the dealership so that the company contacts the dealership directly to help you out since you did your atf changes at honda, 15k miles earlier than the recommended interval everytime. Second, if that doesn't work, go to another honda dealership for help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an 05 with 156K on it and its still going. I'm a bit nervous about it but I change the fluid every time I do an oil change.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spoke with the Honda of NA drone and was able to lower it to $1700, I guess it's better than nothing. I will never buy an American made Honda ever again, actually I will never buy a Honda again. I'm going trade it in for a Toyota Landcruiser as soon as it's fixed, that's an indestructible vehicle made in Japan.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I used the Honda ATF, every part I've used is from Honda. Honda of NA quoted the transmission replacement @ $4275, they said our cost is $1950. I want them to pay for it all!! I have all my service records indicating tranny fluid changes every 15K miles performed at Honda dealers. Any idea how to make them pay 100% of the bill?
At what point is Honda to stop paying for repairs? Your out of warranty! Tell me why they should pay for the repair because if I was the service writer I would have told you the same thing. How do they know your driving habits? You could have towed a pop up camper through the mountains and wrecked the tranny then. I'm just sayin that when a warranty is up it's up.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Makes me glad I didn't purchase an extended warranty. I'm at 85k ~ 90k miles, and would not have had any repairs during the extended warranty time. My tranny is still holding in there. But I think the wife and I are getting the itch to replace the van with something else. The new Sienna looks great. Sorry for your troubles.

I'm wondering if you could do something to mask the noise and trade that jewel in for something else before you drop 2k on it? I'm not big on lieing to someone about something I'm selling to them. But if I were trading it in to a dealership, I'd feel more like I was getting even. My opinion is those suckers lie, cheat and steal from consumers day in and day out. And they have [email protected] customer service and don't even get me started on the monkeys in service.

·
Registered
524 Posts
At what point is Honda to stop paying for repairs? Your out of warranty! Tell me why they should pay for the repair because if I was the service writer I would have told you the same thing. How do they know your driving habits? You could have towed a pop up camper through the mountains and wrecked the tranny then. I'm just sayin that when a warranty is up it's up.
Some bought Honda thinking it is reliable. However customer is now facing the reality of a big $$$ breakdown at 85,200 mi and might swear off Honda forever. That is why more goodwill should be extended even at 85,200 even if the extended warranty is expired.

To paraphrase what a dealer might say, "How stupid of those Honda customers who expected at Honda transmission to last more than 85,200 miles. Just because Ford and GM last longer, why is the customer so stupid as to think Honda ought to? Screw them. I've got the money and that stupid customer is just a dumb mark."

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm the original owner a 2006 Odyssey with 91K miles, after changing the tranny fluid (drain & refill w/ Honda tranny fluid) the transmission started making a whining sound. Took it to 2 independent mechanics who verified the tranny is bad and to a Honda dealer where a diagnostics determined it was bad. My extended warranty expired after 85,200 miles. I've religiously changed the fluid every 15k miles and stuck to the maintenance schedule. Called of Honda of NA who is working with the dealer to see what they can do. I don't trust those bastards at all, I want the tranny replaced and paid 100% by Honda. This van sucks!! Brake pads replaced by recall, brake master "o" ring and power steering pump replaced, motor mount replaced under warranty and now the tranny. I will never buy and American made Honda ever again.
I'm with you! I think I do have the same problem like you. It sounded like the winning noise ... i thought it came from the am radio ., but even when i turned off the radio, the sound is still there. So when you step on the gas while accelerating you can hear the "weee" sound" right? I have almost 90,000mi also. and also replaced my oil and transmission quite often like you. I even did the timmingbelt and valve adjustement + all the TSB jobs already with the Dealer. I really give up on this car... is still noisy, Brakes on Honda are horrible! My rear engine mount is about to go also that is why i feel lots of vibration on the steering ( Cost $700+:nothappy::nothappy::nothappy::mad:)This is probably my last honda had a 2000 accord Trans. problem also. I think i will try something else.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Regardless of a person's reasoning about buying something based on reliability, these are machines. All machines break, sooner or later. Some brands may trend to break sooner, some trend to break later. But even a reliable line of vehicles is going to have some that will not be the same quality level as other in the same line, or even a lesser reliable brand.

Honda is a company for profit. They know this situation will happen for a small percentage of customers. It's unavoidable. But they MUST draw a line in the sand somewhere. So ... how far past the end of the warranty should they extend 'goodwill?' 5,000 miles? 10,000 miles? What about the customer who's engine blows at 10,500 miles? Will Honda 'screw' them like the one who'e engine blew at 9,750 miles past warranty? There must be a line somewhere. My opinion is that the line IS as stated by the warranty.

While I think $1,700 for a new transmission is reasonable, I still wouldn't want to pay it. But I would if I had NO choice. Although I think I'd wrap that sucker in nice pretty paper with a pretty bow on top and try to trade it / dump it in on another vehicle before footing that bill.

My reasoning behind NOT buying an extended warranty is that Honda compiles LOTS and LOTS of data. They KNOW how much money is spent in repairs *on average* probably at every 1,000 mile interval.

So if Honda charges (for round numbers) $1,200 premium to extend warranty out to 86,000 miles (36,000 miles + 50,000 miles ... I don't know, cause I've never bought an extended warranty), then they know that on average, a customer spends about $900 in repairs from 36,000 miles to 86,000 miles. So they charge you $1,200 knowing they'll cover the average $900 in repairs, while they pocket another $300.

That's their gamble. And they win. It's good business, and I don't blame them. If they weren't making money on extended warranties, they wouldn't waste their time selling them. Realizing that, I chose to face the chance of a $900 repair on my own. A $900 repair is less expensive than a $1,200 warranty. (I'm talking averages, not saying I would have had a repair of exactly $900). So far, I've been lucky and haven't had that bill. My gamble paid off. Just dumb luck mostly.

JyRO

·
Registered
511 Posts
Very disconcerting to hear that your tranny bummed out so early even with the HONDA ATF fluid changes every 15K and performed by the dealer no less. Makes you really wonder if the tech(s) really changed the tranny fluids.

Nonetheless, the dealer made you pay for service that purportedly would "maintain" the tranny and since it didn't, they should really make it right for you.

My .02.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Very disconcerting to hear that your tranny bummed out so early even with the HONDA ATF fluid changes every 15K and performed by the dealer no less. Makes you really wonder if the tech(s) really changed the tranny fluids.

Nonetheless, the dealer made you pay for service that purportedly would "maintain" the tranny and since it didn't, they should really make it right for you.

My .02.
It was never mentioned that the dealer did the fluid changes! HE DID THEM HIMSELF!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It was never mentioned that the dealer did the fluid changes! HE DID THEM HIMSELF!
Read my posts. Dealer serviced for it's whole life, babied by me after I bought it and found all the problems w/ this van. I had a CRX that I sold a few years ago with 156k miles and the worst problem was a burnt light bulb. Honda's and Toyota's have always been reliable, this van should also. Don't accuse of **** you don't even know. Are you the Honda drone?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts