Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my mom has a 2006 odyssey and the car will not crank all the lights turn on, dash lights come on and radio works so the battery is good. their is no clicking sound when turning the key to the crank position and the lights don't dime either. i hooked a code scanner to the car and nothing came up about the starter or any switches but it did have all 6 cylinder misfire codes and engine reading lean and about the o2 censer so i'm not sure what that is about but i don't think that would keep the engine from actually cranking. i pulled the oil dip stick and the oil seems very low is their some kind of safety switch that will keep the engine from running if the oil is to low?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Was anything done before this happened? Try this, place the shifter into neutral see if she starts. The starter on these Ody has a different type of starter that will not give the classic symptom of clicking sound. let me know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I went out and tried putting it in neutral and nothing so I assume it's the starter for sure

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Try this , while someone holds the key in the start position use a piece of wood i.e. 2x2 or 2x4 then whack the starter see if she starts. It could be either or both. Its not really worth to just change 1 because if you replace the solenoid then the starter dies you just wasted time & resources to change the solenoid. Let us know.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It is likely either the starter or the transmission range switch. In either case, it might begin as an intermittent problem.

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
Did you check to see if there is 12v getting to the starter when you turn the key to crank? There is a small wire connected to the starter. When you turn the key it puts 12v to the solenoid and activates the starter. If you're getting 12v on that wire when the key is turned to crank then that will verify that it's the starter/solenoid.

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
There is another failure mode that's possible here and that is a frozen alternator. I've never seen it personally but I've seen it posted here a few times. The alternator can freeze up (and even crack,) causing the engine to not crank over. It's more likely the starter but you'll have to do some diagnosing to determine for sure.

·
Registered
44 Posts
it looks like the same issue like mine, sometimes it will start if you try to start really quick moving the key to on like 3-4 times in 3 seconds. Mine was just replaced last week.

·
Registered
934 Posts
it looks like the same issue like mine, sometimes it will start if you try to start really quick moving the key to on like 3-4 times in 3 seconds. Mine was just replaced last week.
This flipping of the key real quick can also be attributed to a worn out ignition switch (Electronics, behind the key).......was notorious problem on older Hondas.
Another aspect of concern is the battery terminals themselves, sometimes they are loose (wear and tear over time) and this will cause the the van to power up but not start, or it will cause a total loss of power (intermittently). In this case, battery terminal shims are of help.....but yes, sometimes the starter just sucks and dies

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hammer and Wood!

The Old Hammer trick worked for me too!!! With a little piece of wood to get to it as mentioned... :) Mine was doing the same, All the sudden no start, but power was fine.. This might have have stemmed from trying to start it with a loose positive terminal?! I was under the hood before it stopped starting but only checking fluids.. I did find the terminal semi loose and corrected that but still nothing.. I let it sit over night and it started 1st try in the morning.. I Drove it to get coffee and on return and after turning it off it would not restart right away.. I did get it to start once while moving the shifter up and down but only that once after allot of key turns..

Long story Shorter.. I took the wood and hammer, Hit the Starter with a few good wacks and Wahlah! Its started every time since... I did buy a new Starter but not sure I should Install it till I have trouble again. I'd say im 90% its the Starter..

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
The hammer/wood test tells you one of two things. Either the starter is bad or the battery connection at the starter is bad. It pretty much rules out most everything else.

I would install the new starter. It's going to leave you stranded and the hammer/wood test may not work the next time. The same test works on fuel pumps fairly often, too, by the way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am having this intermittent starting problem. First happened about 2 years ago. Bro-in-law had me PUMP the accelerator, and then hold it to the floor for maybe 60 seconds. It THEN started. The next time it wouldn't start - 5 months later - we left it sit and rode with someone else to that same bro-in-law's funeral. When we returned, it started with no problem. Has been intermittent, but is happening more frequently lately. Up until today I found that if I pressed the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the REMOTE that would generally "fix" it. A couple of times I used the PANIC button. I had surmised that it had to do with the security system. The dang thing will = on rare occasion - sound off with the horn late at night WHEN LOCKED IN THE GARAGE.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Probably not related. I had to jump another odyssey and when I was disconnecting the cables fell and touched. Accessories work but won’t crank at all. Any idea of the fuse or relay it could be? Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
my mom has a 2006 odyssey and the car will not crank all the lights turn on, dash lights come on and radio works so the battery is good. their is no clicking sound when turning the key to the crank position and the lights don't dime either. i hooked a code scanner to the car and nothing came up about the starter or any switches but it did have all 6 cylinder misfire codes and engine reading lean and about the o2 censer so i'm not sure what that is about but i don't think that would keep the engine from actually cranking. i pulled the oil dip stick and the oil seems very low is their some kind of safety switch that will keep the engine from running if the oil is to low?
I have been having the same problem intermittantly on my 06 Ody. For me all it takes is to shift into reverse and then with a little more force but not much force place the shifter back into park it works every time for me. Someone told me before it is the Transmission range switch .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts