Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Ocean Mist Metallic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally did what many of you have already realized can be done at home: the timing belt / water pump replacement.

I followed the YouTube video by piercedasian, and I also bought the EricTheCarGuy vManual. Piercedasian's video was much more useful, as it was specifically for this year and model. Piercedasian didn't show the water pump replacement, but replacement was almost self explanatory once you got that deep into it.

The make-or-break task is getting the crankshaft bolt loose. If you can do that, you can do this job. I used a DeWalt cordless high-torque impact wrench and the Lisle crankshaft bolt removal socket. Took about 5 seconds. For reinstallation, I also used that funky crankshaft holder tool to help retighten the bolt to 45 foot pounds, followed by a couple hits with the impact wrench to tighten the bolt 60 degrees more.

The whole job is like doing a 1000 piece puzzle that you get to drive. With patience, a few tools, and the ability to follow an instructional YouTube video, it was fairly easy. It was definitely time consuming - it took me probably 8+ hours - but there wasn't a single step that was particularly challenging.

I bought the Aisin TB/water pump kit from RockAuto. I also used a white oil-based paint pen from the craft section at Walmart to put position marks on the belt and pulleys to ensure proper reinstallation. A magnet tool for picking up dropped bolts, an offset wrench for removing the power steering pump, and long needle nose pliers all came in handy.

I've done lots of my own work before - oil changes, tie rods, control arms, engine mounts, and minor troubleshooting of various CEL codes. But the timing belt job always scared me because it sounded like such a huge task. But don't confuse time-consuming with difficult. Like any other job, it comes down to tools, time, and the ability to follow directions.

While I was under the car, I also got a good look at an oil leak that I had ignored for far too long - there was obvious leak at the VTEC solenoid. That involved maybe an hour of work to replace two gaskets. It had been leaking so much that I had to add oil between oil changes, and oil would drop on the catalytic converter and smoke when the engine got hot. Hopefully those problems are gone now.

208,000 miles and going strong.

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
Nice job. Yeah, timing belt jobs are not difficult. They are just critical. If you mess it up it costs you the engine, or at least a cylinder head job.

Those spool valve gaskets are a problem. I'm guessing you bought aftermarket gaskets? I think that's the one that has a gasket between the two halves of the valve that leaks. That gasket is not available from Honda like the mounting gasket is. I tried the aftermarket gaskets on another van I worked on and the cheap gasket only lasted 3 months. We had to redo the repair using a new valve. Keep your eye on it and don't be surprised if it leaks again.

Reactions: Robster

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, aftermarket gaskets. Dorman 917268 from RockAuto. Hopefully they'll hold, but thanks for the warning.

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
The ones I tried weren't Dorman. They were some from Amazon. Not sure if there are actually multiple manufacturers of these or not but Dorman isn't high quality, either. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe the spool valve gasket replacement didn't work so great. I took my 2006 Odyssey on a road trip last week - from suburban Dallas to the mountains of Big Bend. The car did great until I was almost at my campsite. Going up a big hill, the CEL and VSA lights turned on, and the engine got wimpy. Fortunately I had a scan tool with me and found out I had a P2646 code, which is often caused by the spool valve and/or solenoid. The issue was intermittent, so I finished my trip and ordered a new spool valve. My theory is that the spool valve is just too old and was ready to die, so my $10 gasket repair just didn't quite do it. My van is too old to deserve genuine Honda parts in most cases, so I ordered WVE's part from RockAuto for around $200 instead of the Honda part for $400+. I'll probably install it this weekend. Hopefully all will go well and I'll be able to report a successful repair after a few weeks of driving.

No problems at all from the timing belt replacement.

As a side note, a friend recently drove my van and said it had much more power than their 2007 EX-L with a lot fewer miles, so I must being doing something sort of right with regards to upkeep.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
As a side note, a friend recently drove my van and said it had much more power than their 2007 EX-L with a lot fewer miles, so I must being doing something sort of right with regards to upkeep.
Same engine, transmission is different.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts