Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched all the posts, but none tell me which fuse to pull to reset this warning. It came on when my wife had the van in Buffalo NY. We live north of Toronto ON. In my 2000 Ody, I was able to clear the p1457 code by pulling fuse #13 in the passenger side panel. My 2006 Touring does not have a fuse #13 in that location. (so much for experience). Does anyone know which fuse to pull in the 2006 Touring to clear this alarm? This happened on Sat. It is now Tuesday, and the van has been driven over 250 miles (420 Km), and the fault has not cleared by itself. The gas cap looks ok, and I have tried tightening it over a dozen clicks.
Thanks very much.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Could be a defective gas cap. Could be. When I had to replace the cap on our three-year-old VW before it would pass our annual state inspection, I was told by a service tech that it's not unheard of to have to replace fuel caps every couple of years nowadays, something to do with the seals deteriorating more rapidly that in previous years (and I imagine, if anyone should know, it's someone that personally sees dozens of such cars every week). The dealer replaced the cap (under warranty), and as I recall, within a day or three, the light went away. ;)

Don't assume your cap is OK, is all I'm saying... :DD

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 06 odyssey touring I bought used at 93000 would randomly get the fuel cap message. The fuel cap appeared fine but I decided to go to the honda dealer and get a new one anyways. After I replaced the cap the message has not reappeared. It takes a few cycles for it to clear so be patient.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know which fuse to pull to reset the code? I really don't want to pull a battery connection because I'll have to reprogram all the options for 2 drivers.
Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to Daniel Cox & Boogety Boogety for your reponse. I'll get a gas cap to try it out, but this is our second Ody and we have a 97 Acura with a ton of miles on it, and never ever had a gas cap fail.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My 09 TSX did it intermittently during cold weather, and it was like not even a year old at the time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Happy Ending

I took a large swipe of vaselene, and smeared it on the gas cap gasket, and on the top of the filler pipe. I drove the car to a dinner meeting through the first snow storm of the season. (about 12 Km. each way). When I came out of the meeting and started the van, the light was out! It has been out for 3 days now, and i have filled up once. The seal on the gas cap was either marginal, or needed the vaselene to clean/soften it. I'm happy!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good advice Orillia. I had the "check fuel cap" message come on my maintenance minder today as well. I'll try the Vaseline option. As a side note, I was watching "This Old House" tv show and one of the preventative maintenance tips they had for a refrigerator was to apply Vaseline (or another generic petroleum jelly) to the rubber gasket seals to ensure a tight fit. I did this and it's amazing how much tighter my refrigerator door seals. This is totally an unscientific comment, but I could see how the rubber (or whatever material the fuel cap seal is made of) can break down especially when a few drops of gas gets on the seal when refueling. Gas can practically eat anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts