Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice please. I'm looking at getting a fairly low mileage (under 70k) '06 Touring Odyssey and I have a few questions.

First, if I "De-PAX" one, will the same spare tire as from my recently totaled '01 Odyssey work on it? For the rims, are there any "factory take-offs" that I can likely find already with the sensors on them or must I dismount (or chop through) my existing PAX tires to get the old ones and move them over (or buy new ones, obviously)?

Also, related to the above, is there actually a (tire changing) jack already in PAX equipped cars somewhere? I found that dealer on-line which sells the "Complete DePAX kits" and no kit seems to mention a jack or lug wrench.

On the '06 Touring with Navigation and Entertainment, what are my iPod connection options? (mp3 / audio in jack?)

On the left panel from the steering wheel, there are 4 switch openings, but in all of the pics I have seen (and what I have seen in person) every one I find has 3 switches and a blank. (I think the LX has three blanks). What goes in the 4th opening? I thought a Touring/Nav/Ent had all options by default.

As far as the Nav system, how do updates work? Is there a dedicated drive? Where do I get new disks? Do they copy internally to a drive? If the disk stays in, do the disks need to be backed up?

I need a (towing) receiver, and I can't find any of these with a factory towing package. What are my best options? Do I need a transmission cooler added, etc?

and finally,

I had custom springs made for my '01 that I never even installed (plus 300# springs). Are the springs the same for Gen 2 and Gen 3 models by any chance? And before I even "go there" and change springs and such, do the Gen 3's sag as quickly in back as the Gen 2's when loaded close to capacity? That is a hard one to explore on a test drive.

Any answers would really be helpful as well as thoughts on getting an 06 Touring in general. I need a backup camera and would really like the backup sensors and power hatch, so I'm thinking whatever I get needs to be a Touring model. Going much newer gets pricy pretty quickly. Are there major issues with these Gen 3 Turning models to look out for?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm looking to buy very soon and I need to figure this out quickly.

·
Registered
219 Posts
1. Mine had the jack and lug wrench with the van.
2. Your spare should fit.
3. Tire sensors are Touring specific. Do a search to see various options.
4. Don't know about the switches. Same here.
5. Don't think the Nav version has an input. I believe you can find an aftermarket adapter to connect in an iPod.
6. Buy a receiver hitch from u-haul or similar. I would do a trans cooler even if you don't tow. Honda strongly recommends trans and PS coolers whenever a hitch is installed on these vans.
7. When you buy a Touring, you are buying a few inherent problems. Search more for all the fun stuff that goes wrong. And plan on $700 - $1200 to de-PAX.

·
Registered
411 Posts
As far as the switches, I moved mine around a bit to allow mounting of my beloved remote radar detector (I have one of these wonderful detectors in all our vehicles, they're specially handy in the 'verts). The rear tailgate button was in the panel below, which didn't make sense: I wanted it with the other opener switches. So the panel now looks thus:

Your Navigation has a DVD under the driver's seat, you can't (legally) make a back-up copy, and updates are available sporadically, for anywhere from $150-up.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Actually, I expect you can do so quite legally, so long as it is a backup. My concern is to not trash the only copy of the data on a spinning disk in a moving car that spins for years and years (I presume). I was mainly trying to get if the drive loads the data to an internal drive or uses the data on the disk directly.

Perhaps I am just paranoid, but when the disk fails and you own the license to use it, you are actually allowed to restore the data from a backup copy, but you need to make one ahead of time to have the backup to access.

Hopefully for Honda's sake they have sense enough to use security measures on their $150 data disk to avoid piracy, but that doesn't mean I need to pay twice for the same data if a disk fails.

Cool mod on your dash, BTW. I'm still wondering why there is at least a single blank in all cars I have seen though because as handy as the mod is, I'm thinking Honda wasn't planning on that particular application of the space...

Thanks again.

·
Registered
786 Posts
As far as I know, no one has ever been able to figure out what the 4th switch is for. I think it probably just balanced the look of the panel by making it the same width as the switches above it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your 2001 spare will not fit, it is a 5-114 bolt pattern, the 2006 is a 5-120 pattern.
The fourth blank is for options like the subwoofer.
If you have RES you can easily add aux inputs (I did a write up on it).
If you add a hitch, add the transmission and power steering coolers. The van is "OK" to tow up to 1000 pounds without and 3500 pounds with. Call me a jerk but you would be crazy not to add the coolers with all the tranny problems these vans are known to have.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well drat on the spare. Anybody in Atlanta want swap a spare? I wonder what the spare and mounting parts would go for from a junkyard.

I agree on the coolers, and as far as towing, I have Suburban to tow big stuff like my Pontoon Boat. With Odysseys, I'll tow a small canoe trailer, or a slightly larger one with an aluminum v-hull. I doubt either entire rig is more than 500#. Seems kind of silly to burn Suburban amounts of gas for such light towing.

I'm going to need a pair of hatch struts. The existing ones usually work, but sometimes are just a little too tired and we don't need that hatch slamming on the kids. I see a crazy price range and I'm wondering why. I see them from under $20 each to over $60. Any thoughts on where's best to get them?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Can't help you with the hatch struts or a spare, but I can recommend a couple of independent Honda repair shops located in the North Metro Atlanta Area, one in Chamblee and the other in Marietta. PM me if you want further information on either or both.

·
Registered
30 Posts
@ATLANTA I tried for several months to buy a used spare for my 06 Touring with no success. I finally bought a new one for a little over 200 at Honda Parts Warehouse. See this post for more details.

Spare

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is sort of a stupid follow-up. I know I have no spare because this is a Touring model, and I know I have a jack because I have found the jack, but how do I get to where the spare tire would go, and do I need to change a panel in the back to retain the spare or is that empty space inside there? Seems like that panel would be easy to open. Driver's side rear, over the jack, right? My 2001 Ody had the spare in the floor. I feel like an idiot. The cover over the jack also was hard to open, one of the tabs got hung and actually broke off. I'd rather not break the spare cover as well...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks mtbiker. Seems "crazy expensive" for a junky little spare, doesn't it?... especially when I have a brand new '01 spare right here just a few mm off. What a waste. I have to wonder why in the world they made that change to the wheel size in '05...

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you are towing such a light load then I wouldn't worry about the coolers. Just don't sell that truck and forget to add the coolers before doing actual towing! The spare tire trim panel may be different for the Touring since there is no spare. On EX-Ls and lower it is on the driver's side, in the rear, with a piece that pushes in on top, near the rear side window. Once that piece is pushed in you just pull on the trim panel. Personally, I use RockAuto.com for almost everything that I need. They have literally been half the cost on a couple of parts when compared to the national automotive chains. I have been using them for many years now and have saved a ton of money by doing so.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks J35A6,

I'll check the panel. Didn't want to break anything. I think there were some things sticking out slightly like plastic pins it may float on? Not certain I'm remembering that right, and I'm not where the car is tonight.

There was a small storage area in that panel. and I was wondering if the EX & LX models also had that or if it sticks too far in to clear the tire. It may all make sense after the panel comes out. I was assuming / hoping in a way that Honda had maximized the space from the missing spare with extra storage, but at a glance, I think there must be some wasted space behind that panel.

Run Flats or not, I still wonder how it is legal to sell a car without a spare, let alone the moral issue (my morals, not Hondas I guess) of selling a car with a then untested (and now basically failed) system of flat repairing. Did the companies switching to run-flats REALLY think that after nearly 100 years of conventional pneumatic tires we would all suddenly embrace a new approach that costs multiple times more and can end up getting you stuck in the middle of a road trip waiting on tires to be repaired hundreds of miles away or else buying entire spare wheels and tires to complete a trip?

Thanks again for the reference!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Run Flats or not, I still wonder how it is legal to sell a car without a spare, let alone the moral issue (my morals, not Hondas I guess) of selling a car with a then untested (and now basically failed) system of flat repairing. Did the companies switching to run-flats REALLY think that after nearly 100 years of conventional pneumatic tires we would all suddenly embrace a new approach that costs multiple times more and can end up getting you stuck in the middle of a road trip waiting on tires to be repaired hundreds of miles away or else buying entire spare wheels and tires to complete a trip?
Most cars now adays come with a donut spare tire. They are only intended to get you to a service station to get your regular tire repaired or replaced. But most people drive on them for miles and weeks. Being a danger to themselves and others.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The sad truth to the matter is that most car companies are actually phasing out spare tires due to the weight and cost savings. Honda is one of them, look into how many Acuras no longer come with a spare tire. This article on the subject isn't too old...
The Disappearing Spare Tire - Edmunds.com

Here are two pics of the spare tire cover in my 2005 EX-L, the second showing the upper handle by the window.
IMG_4793.JPG IMG_4792.JPG

·
Registered
21 Posts
The sad truth to the matter is that most car companies are actually phasing out spare tires due to the weight and cost savings. Honda is one of them, look into how many Acuras no longer come with a spare tire. This article on the subject isn't too old...
The Disappearing Spare Tire - Edmunds.com

Here are two pics of the spare tire cover in my 2005 EX-L, the second showing the upper handle by the window.
View attachment 10890 View attachment 10891

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh, I agree. And I'm actually okay with a typical car just being designed to get you to a place to repair or replace a tire. The problem with the PAX system is while around town it is great to know you have enough range to get back home or to your destination, when you have 600 miles to go on a road trip, while your whole family is in the car waiting, what would be a couple of hours delay to repair or replace a flat (worst case) can turn into a 12 hours or even an overnight stay mid-trip. And they can claim "free accommodations" all they want (Michelin is supposed to pay if they cannot get there within 12 hours), if I'm paying $400 to replace what should cost $100 to $200 and then I get a "free" $75 to $100 room for a night, I'm not coming out ahead at all, never mind a lost day from a trip, or possibly a missed cruise departure or anything else that happens.

Another thing is the fact that while a PAX may indeed drive the 125 miles they specify with a puncture, my last (only) flat in my old Odyssey was a massive hole roughly 6 inches in diameter. No idea what we hit in the dead-center of rural Mississippi at 12:30 at night on the freeway, but there is no way a PAX would have gone even FIVE miles with that hole at anything above idle speed. A huge tire flap was slapping the wheel well as I stopped the car. We got to the first hotel we found and we were stopped overnight. This was driven on a short spare and sure, I'd love to have had a PAX at the moment to limp off the road (this was on our EX with an actual spare). Still, even with a PAX, we could not have gone above idle, so there was no great safety improvement on that road on the middle of the night. Crashed into at 5 mph on the shoulder or while stopped and changing a tire would have made little difference.

The difference for us was we could buy a tire at the local tire shop in the morning with those rims. There was not a Honda Dealer or a PAX seller (or any Michelin tire available, I looked to match what was on the car) anywhere for many miles. I bought a matched pair of new P4's for that axle and we were on the road again before checkout time at the hotel. No way we'd have been to Dallas on time the next afternoon waiting on a PAX tire, and not much of a chance there would have been a place to even buy a wheel that fit the car. If there were, where would the PAX wheel have gone for the next 1200 miles? Would I have shipped it home? Strapped it next to the luggage carrier on the roof rack?

We buy these cars to go on road trips and various family outings. I know I have digressed a bit, but I can't see why cars of this type aren't properly set up to complete multi-hundred or thousand mile road trips from anywhere in the case of a blowout. That is my only major beef with Honda over these otherwise excellent vehicles. I've had transmission on my '01, for example. I don't appreciate the high number of failures, but how could they have known. With PAX tires, common sense and the lack of an existing network made the system an obvious challenge from the start. Maybe they could have offered them as an option, but to force them on several years of Touring model buyers? Not so cool Honda....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the pics, BTW. I'm anxious to get back where the car is to look at the back again, but I found some pics on my laptop from when I was car shopping before. Guess it must be the same cowling. (Makes me feel foolish and unobservant.) How I did not notice that handle is beyond me. That little square above the jack "hatch" may be where I saw something sticking out and wondered if it related to opening but the seam makes that seem pretty unlikely...

Hey, unrelated but still in the back, what are the two little cutouts that flip down under the 3rd row seats when the are open? Are they generic tiny little storage areas or for some particular purpose?

·
Registered
786 Posts
We buy these cars to go on road trips and various family outings. I know I have digressed a bit, but I can't see why cars of this type aren't properly set up to complete multi-hundred or thousand mile road trips from anywhere in the case of a blowout. That is my only major beef with Honda over these otherwise excellent vehicles. I've had transmission on my '01, for example. I don't appreciate the high number of failures, but how could they have known. With PAX tires, common sense and the lack of an existing network made the system an obvious challenge from the start. Maybe they could have offered them as an option, but to force them on several years of Touring model buyers? Not so cool Honda....

Amen to that. I was going to get a Touring but didn't simply because of PAX. I go to some very remote places. One time when I was driving in Northern Canada, I saw someone with two flat tires. Luckily they were traveling with a group and were able to find a second spare, but it got me thinking. I was over 500 miles away from the nearest Honda Dealer in Plattsburg NY. It would have been a disaster if I were driving with the PAX system. I also once came close to driving into territory that would put the Ody over 1300 miles away from the nearest dealer and 500 miles away from the nearest town. One of the main reasons I didn't was because I only had the 1 small spare tire. If I had a Touring with PAX, I would never have even come close to considering it. If you mainly drive in well developed areas near cities, then PAX might work, but if you drive anywhere remote, which includes most of the US, you want a spare (or 2 ;)).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts