Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, My 2006 Touring won't start. Just came home one day. Turned off, then went out later that day and would not start. Did some testing of battery, fine, replaced ground cable as it looked corroded, replaced the terminal connector of positive cable, still won't start. Will probably replace starter next unless someone has a better suggestion?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
You haven’t told us much. What do you mean when you say it won’t start? Does the engine turnover or not? What exactly are you hearing and what is happening?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, sorry, so I turn the key and there is just a click, no turning over, no hint of starting. just a click. I have tried putting in neutral to start and same. Just the click.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also I have tried both keys, I have locked and unlocked with both fobs. I have jiggled the shifter around. And there was no indication of any problem prior to it not starting. Running fine, starting fine. Has a newer battery, put in earlier in the year. Newer Honda alternator. Quite the mystery...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Check battery contacts first. Many times it is good enough to provide dash light but it fails to turn starter since it requires more current. If this checks OK, and if the battery is good, the problem is with the starter or connection to the starter. Connection issue is eliminated by checking voltage on starter.

Can you jump start the car ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will try jumpstarting tomorrow. Should have already tried that but the battery is fully charged so I thought perhaps it wouldn't work but I think that is a good suggestion.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And battery connections are super good especially after I replaced the positive side connector. If anyone needs a replacement, auto zone has a great Duralast gold connector that has 4 different holes for the various wires that need to be connected to that side.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And yes, have given many good whacks to the starter after I pulled the battery tray (pain in the butt) so i could get to it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And checked positive cable connection to starter. Secure and getting proper voltage. There did seem to be a problem with the ground to the starter and so that is why I changed out the ground cable. Have not had a chance to check if that solved the ground problem yet. Ran out of daylight and started pouring buckets here. Will check again tomorrow and will definitely try jumping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No joke, this EXACT same thing happened to me 3 days ago. 2006 Touring, 213,k, brand new battery, good connections, whacked the starter, jacked with the shifter, flip flopped the relays under the hood ... nada, just a click.
SOLUTION: There’s a no-start checklist somewhere around here. It had a bunch of those things on it but also told you to go into the drivers side fuse box and check something like 7 or 8 different fuses. Well I did that and they were all fine. But when I put them back in, I’m sure I turned some of them around. No clue what I did or which fuse(s) in particular it was, but the Ody. fired right up!
Good luck & please reply if this works for you!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Clean your battery Terminals, but your symptoms quite likely could be a bad battery. That also could lead you to the alternator as to why the newer battery is dead

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OMG, I am so sorry you had the same thing, and I will definitely try that tomorrow and let you know! I did pull one or two initially to check and they "looked" fine but I did not test them in any way. But I like your suggestion to just start pulling and put back in! Maybe i will just replace some anyway and see if that solves it. thank you

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is what turned up and so i replaced the battery ground. Where else are the ground points located on these things? I saw one behind sliding door panel on one video, definitely not taking that panel off. Will sell it before that happens!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But I will update tomorrow after I try jumping, checking ground again, pulling fuses, and maybe laying on of hands....

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
520 Posts
Why couldn't it be a failed starter? I would think the click indicates something is wrong with the starter.

Usually, if the starter brushes wear out, and you bang on the starter, it'll shift the brushes around just enough that the connection is okay and the car will start for the time being. But, if there is some other internal failure of the starter, that won't work.

Is your starter original? Some of the aftermarket stuff is crap and will fail without warning due to an internal failure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, that is what I was going to do if nothing else works. I thought I would try the cheaper stuff first. It looks like the original starter with over 200K miles on it! And I have done the hard part of removing the battery tray so just two bolts away from swapping it out!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts