Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a new member and this is my second odyssey. The first being a transmission eater 2002.

I will start from the beginning. We purchased this vehicle in April 2010 with 107k. It is a 2006 Touring. I took it to a local import guy in town to have the timing belt, water pump etc changed in November 2010 at 115k, I had to take it back the next day because he said "it was off a tooth" and was running bad.

Fast forward to last week when my wife was driving on the interstate with our 4 kids and the van "lit up like a christmas tree" according to my wife and it died. She said VSA warning came up on the odometer and the check engine light came on. The van had been making a loud rattling noise on cold starts for the past month or so. I had it towed to a local station and he checked it and said the timing belt was the problem, but they only do brakes, oil, etc. So I called the guy who put the TB on it since it had only been a year and the van only had 132k on it (about 17k on the belt) he informed me that the belt and his labor had a 1 yr warranty which was out by 6 weeks. So I called another mechanic and he picked it up and when they opened it up he called and said they put the new timing belt on and it also had bent valves, BUT here is the kicker the new mechanic said there was a bolt missing from the tensioner and the other bolt holding it was loose. I assume that is from the previous TB work?

He fixed the valves and I picked it up Friday and less than 24hrs later as we are dropping off the rental vehicle, literally pulling in the parking space, I opened the door to let my wife out and she shows me all the lights coming on the dash of the van again and said it just began doing it as she pulled in and by then its running really bad. Seemed to be idling really rough. The VSA warning is on the dash along with check engine light. I shut it off and let it set for 1-2 minutes and started it up again and it seemed ok so we drove it home and put it in the garage.

I am calling the guy in the morning, but does anyone have any ideas? When I picked it up Friday I noticed it was "chattering" worse than it ever had, but I assumed it was ok.

·
Registered
67 Posts
What a run of luck. I'd keep after them about the chatter. It may just be a matter of adjustment. The lights lighting up, that could be a few things. Loose alternator belt, battery terminal, or alternator wiring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The check engine light we off. I have been driving the van around town with no current issues, but the motor seems more "clicky" sounding. Would that be normal? They replaced all the intake valves and almost all the exhaust valves and "reworked" the heads.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Not normal if it's really making more noise than before...either something is loose, improperly installed, or out of adjustment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Van keeps popping up VSA and going into a rough idle and I got the check engine code read. It said P2746 which is something about rocker arm assembly? The mechanic that scanned it said he just worked on an Honda Element with the exact same code. It was something about a screen that gets clogged?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Googling it shows it is Intermediate Shaft Speed Sensor "B" Circuit Range/Performance Have your mechanic check it out. May not be plugged in securly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts