Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the online vendors recommend a hitch or roof rack, but isolated sites have comments from Odyssey owners that the use a bike rack for trunk/hatch/SUV mounting.

I am looking for a fast and less expensive solution, and wonder if anyone had experience with trunk/hatch-mount bike racks and could recommend a brand/model.

I was considering the King Joe 3 from Yakima.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Yakima trunk racks explicitly do not support late model Odysseys. The issue is the plastic spoiler at the top of the hatch -- since the straps need to pass over it, it's quite likely that the weight of the bikes would crack it. I've got a King Joe myself and was disappointed to find that I couldn't use it on my Odyssey, and now I'm researching hitch racks.

(I think the Yakima racks do support late model Siennas, because even though the profile looks the same, the spoiler is metal.)

Aaron.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just wondering if you found a solution for your bike rack needs. I haven't been able to find anything and being petite, don't want the roof rack option. Thanks!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Don't do it! The van continually rolls over irregular surfaces which will cause the bikes and rack to put undo stress on the metal where the clips latch on to and where the bottom padded bar pushes in. This is ok if there is no vibration but that's not going to happen. Honestly, I never did this so I can't speak from experience. I've done the bikes on the roof, inside hatch area and hitch rack thing. The bike rack on a 2" hitch is by far the best one. It costs more, but the rack is fairly easy to install/unistall on the hitch. As well, the bikes can be loaded/unloaded without much effort, was very stable and is least impacting on the vehicle. Here's a pic of my rack loaded with 4 bikes when I had the '02 Odyssey. It's a Yakima roc'n gate. The added bonus was that it could be "swung" away when loaded so that I could get to the hatch. To save a few bucks on bike rack relative to what I paid for my van didn't make sense in my mind. I use my vehicles to their fullest capabilities but I also want to keep them reasonably good looking for the long haul. BTW, I had airlifts installed to keep the back end from bottoming out.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts