Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a customer with a 2007 Odyssey that we just did head gaskets on and turns out that wasnt the problem. A leak down test shows that the bottom end is fried, possibly piston rings from overheating. Im trying to help them out with cost by finding a junk van for like $500 and pulling the motor out to use the bottom end with their now freshly built heads. Searching salvage yards for engines only shows 2007-2010 as being compatible, but this forum shows 2005 as the starting year, can I use a 2005 engine and swap everything over from the 2007 top end to get it back on the road? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Yes, 2005 is the first year of Generation 3. The last year was 2010.

However, the engine were reworked within those years.

Point one to consider is the trim. In both 2005 and 2007, lower trims had non-VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) engines, while higher trims' engines had VCM.

What is the trim level of your customer's Odyssey?

Point two is that 2005 to 2007 models with VCM operated on either 6 or 4 cylinders. 2008+ models operated on either 6, 4, or 3 cylinders. For this reason, I don't think an engine from 2008+ would work in your customer's 2007.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, 2005 is the first year of Generation 3. The last year was 2010.

However, the engine were reworked within those years.

Point one to consider is the trim. In both 2005 and 2007, lower trims had non-VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) engines, while higher trims' engines had VCM.

What is the trim level of your customer's Odyssey?

Point two is that 2005 to 2007 models with VCM operated on either 6 or 4 cylinders. 2008+ models operated on either 6, 4, or 3 cylinders. For this reason, I don't think an engine from 2008+ would work in your customer's 2007.
It's a 2007 EX-L. When I look it up on car-part.com it only shows other 2007 Odysseys as donor vehicles. I'm guessing I need another 2007 just to be safe. I found an entire van, same year, talked the guy down to $800, I figure I'll pull the engine and then part out the rest of the car. Anyone need parts off a 2005-2010? Lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Def get a 2007 motor to avoid headaches. There are slight variances between the 3rd gens and you have to get the same motor/year.

And where are you located?
Sorry, didnt see your reply. I'm located in Largo, FL. I ended up buying that "2007" donor, turned out to be a 2006 and didn't realize it until I had already cut the front frame to remove the engine. I figured no worries I'll just use the engine and be done with it. I wasted all that time and money and I needed a 2007 the whole time. Ended up finding a 2007 in Daytona for $500, going to install it Monday. Now I have a 2006 donor van I'm parting out if anyone needs anything lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts