Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Club

I have a 2007 EX with 150K+ miles that I bought used. My Ody hasn't needed much in the way of work except a new alternator back in 2016. About a month ago, I noticed a burning smell coming through the air vents and from outside the car (was using the A/C, not the heater). My oil levels seemed fine, as did the coolant reserve tank. Fast forward a month, the smell is stronger. Yesterday, I checked the coolant reservoir and notice its level is below the minimum fill line, I also noticed coolant bubbling out of the cap near the joint-hose connector with the engine running. I went ahead and refilled the coolant and ordered a new cap/joint for the tank.

I parked the Ody after work, go to start it up this afternoon and notice dried oil droplets on my driveway. I look under the Ody and see motor oil all over everything; there was a droplet hanging near what I assume is the drain plug. I checked the oil level, which is a hair lower than full and smells faintly of gasoline. The oil on the dipstick was brown-gold and non-milky. Note: My Ody does not have a plastic skid plate and I recently hit a pothole that bottomed-out the van. Could I have cracked something? I've attached some pictures of the area taken from the front looking toward the rear.

I have yet to have an overheating or oil pressure issue with both gauges holding the center position while driving and I have not noticed any white smoke out the exhaust.

Any help diagnosing this so I can repair would be greatly appreciated. This thing is about to be paid off.

Thank you kindly,
G

·
Registered
145 Posts
My 06 exl w/264k miles looks like yours, but just a bit better in the same spot locations. It is also sipping oil and coolant goes to min pretty quickly.
My understanding, after speaking with the mechanic who changed TB on it recently, is that the valve cover gasket (rear) is leaking.
Not saying that you have the same thing going on there, but might be the case. Are catalytic converters working properly or you also have P0420 & P0430 codes?
In addition, my van needs new engine mounts, a VCM tuner II - so i can install cheaper passive mounts. Too much $$ for the old fart if you ask me :)

Reactions: GulfOdy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 06 exl w/264k miles looks like yours, but just a bit better in the same spot locations. It is also sipping oil and coolant goes to min pretty quickly.
My understanding, after speaking with the mechanic who changed TB on it recently, is that the valve cover gasket (rear) is leaking.
Not saying that you have the same thing going on there, but might be the case. Are catalytic converters working properly or you also have P0420 & P0430 codes?
In addition, my van needs new engine mounts, a VCM tuner II - so i can install cheaper passive mounts. Too much $$ for the old fart if you ask me :)
Thanks for the reply! I should have mentioned that the only codes I have are TPMS and oil change needed (overdue). I've been suspicious about whether or not it was the valve cover gasket. As far as I know, the catalytic converters are functioning within the normal range, though I'm not sure what would be happening if they weren't. :unsure:

·
Registered
145 Posts
the only reason i asked about cats is that on mine when it started to leak from the rear engine cover gasket the oil most likely got onto rear cat converter. so oil leak is obviously no good and other things might be affected as well.

Reactions: GulfOdy

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Oil dripping on the very hot cat, exhaust manifold, or exhaust pipe, will immediately burn off, which is probably what you smell. Other than the smell, you're not hurting anything, but you should try and find out where the engine oil leaks are, then you can fix or ignore. Lavender will cover up lots of odors!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oil dripping on the very hot cat, exhaust manifold, or exhaust pipe, will immediately burn off, which is probably what you smell. Other than the smell, you're not hurting anything, but you should try and find out where the engine oil leaks are, then you can fix or ignore. Lavender will cover up lots of odors!
Makes sense. I do need to find that leak. Based on what I've read on the interwebs, I'm paranoid about the problem developing into a blown head gasket, especially since I can smell some gasoline in the oil.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Degrease the engine and check were the leak it coming from. Most likely from the valve cover gaskets if you never changed them. If the valve covers never came off, you also need the valve adjustment done with that mileage.

If you don't see anything funny in the coolant and don't see white smoke puffing out of the exhaust, you don't have a blown head gasket.

It's hard to blow the head gaskets on these, you really need to abuse the motor to do that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Degrease the engine and check were the leak it coming from. Most likely from the valve cover gaskets if you never changed them. If the valve covers never came off, you also need the valve adjustment done with that mileage.

If you don't see anything funny in the coolant and don't see white smoke puffing out of the exhaust, you don't have a blown head gasket.

It's hard to blow the head gaskets on these, you really need to abuse the motor to do that.
Awesome. Thank you very much!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts