Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a weird one & it's driving us nuts. All the lights pulse just a bit dim and back to bright. It only happens when the engine's running and in sync with the rpms. Sometimes it's bad enough to make cars we are following pull over. I took it to the dealership just before the warranty ran out. They found a bad ground in the right front. It made the problem better but it did not go away.

Now that the temps have gone lower it's worse. It does not happen in the summer. One night when it was really bad I put it in neutral and ran the rpms up to 5,000 & it went away for awhile. Am I the only one?

2007 EX-L

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is everything still stock or do you have any electronic accessories you installed recently, such as subwoofer, amplifier, HID lighting, etc.? Possible one of these might be an issue.

What about the alternator or battery? All voltages good?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All stock. I put a Costco battery in a couple months ago. The alternator got a thumbs up from the stealer when I had it checked before the warranty ended.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
You didn't have the problem when the alternator was checked, you do now. Have it and the battery checked also. New battery doesn't mean it is good. I would also monitor the voltage to see what it does when it dims. Also check all battery and ground connections.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Also check the ground on the alternator. Just had a similar problem on my accord today. The guy who changed the belts on my Accord did not tighten the ground very well. It took 5 days before my battery finally died due to lack of or partial recharging from the alternator. I started noticing things initially when I use the power windows, lights started dimming. Hopefully this resolves you problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I took it to the home of a Honda Tech friend. The battery & alternator are fine. He noticed that the wiring on the right front was not replaced when the Honda body shop repaired a deer hit from a couple years ago. Since it's out of warranty he said that it would not be worth pulling every thing out to fix an annoying slight pulse. I guess he's right but it stinks that the shop charged the insurance company so much to fix it just to skimp on some wires. I'll take care of it when it's time to do the timing belt & it's apart.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Solved! I doubled up the ground from the negative terminal to the frame with a heavy duty ground strap from the parts store with dielectric grease for good measure. Two weeks/200 miles and no problems. It only took 80,000 miles to follow my gut instinct and ignore the Seattle dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts