Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the van in for the recall and I was under the impression they were going to replace the modulator. Instead they installed "modulator sealing caps" and did not replace the unit. Has anyone else had this "repair" instead of the replacement? I don't want to have to worry about the unit failing again later when it should have been replaced the first time. Then I'm out of luck at a later date...

·
Registered
513 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had this procedure done about 6 weeks ago, and it seemed to improve the brakes for a while. But over the last few weeks I've noticed the pedal getting soft again, which does not make me happy. I'll be contacting our local Honda dealer tomorrow. Sigh...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's not good. I would have thought they would have re-designed the modulator and replaced it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We are having the same problem.

I posted a lengthy report of the recall repair with the modulator, and then about our master cylinder going out on our 2008 EXL with only 4,000 miles.

Since the new master cylinder was installed, we have noticed the brakes are low again.

Hopefully, someone on the forum can read my post and let me know if they are having the same problem after the recall repair was completed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
darkbuddha said:
I had this procedure done about 6 weeks ago, and it seemed to improve the brakes for a while. But over the last few weeks I've noticed the pedal getting soft again, which does not make me happy. I'll be contacting our local Honda dealer tomorrow. Sigh...
Took the van in today and had them take a look at the braking system again. I explained the issues I was experiencing and how the pedal has progressively gotten softer since they first returned it after the recall work was done. To be clear, after the recall work, the pedal was firmer, caught higher, was more progressive and linear, and had better modulation. Over the last several weeks, I noticed a decline in all of those

Anyway, today, they bled it and found no air and all their tests were fine. I then took it for a test drive and found the pedal was much improved... again. So what did they do to fix it? According to them, nothing. But the improved pedal feel and braking says they did. I guess we'll see how long it lasts this time. Sigh...

·
Registered
650 Posts
darkbuddha I feel the same way you do had the service done and the pedal was firm now it feels like its getting soft again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yep... not good at all is it? I'm starting to suspect that the soft pedal might not be air in the system now though. I noticed when the pedal is firmer that the brake booster makes much much much less noise, which makes me wonder if the brake booster is either too effective or doesn't handle vacuum properly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They (Honda) must know about the problem with the fix. The service advisor was trying to "set me up" for the poor performance of the fix when I dropped my car off to have the repair done.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I thought it was just my imagination, and yes, the pedal travel appears to be longer than with the brakes. It did feel much firmer, and less travel after the the initial recall work on my 2007 EX-L.

I'll have to mention this to my dealer on my next oil change service.

·
Registered
71 Posts
IMHO, the "fix" they came up with is probably not 100% effective. I discussed this problem with a friend of mine who is a Master level tech and works at a high end independent shop in the Puget Sound area (Seattle). He works on everything from BMWs to Bentleys to Porsches, etc. He said that the way I described it indicated that there was still air entering the system somewhere, possibly related to moisture in the system, which would explain why it got worse as the system heats up (under regular stop-and-go traffic and severe braking situations).

Make sense to me, but I'm sure Honda will hold otherwise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts