Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been searching the forums but couldn't find any one who mentions an exact location for the parking brake.

I'm going to be installing a Pioneer AVH-P3200BT in a 2007 EX-L and it requires that I tap the parking brake wire so I can view the video when the car is parked but I can't figure out for certain which wire belongs to the parking brake or where the best location is to tap it.

Does anyone have an idea where I can locate the parking brake wire and it's color? Any photos or diagrams that would help.

Much appreciated.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I installed this unit, but since there were a lot of posts about various installs and this wasn't anything unique, I didn't take detailed pics.

I bought a $5 relay and wired up a bypass so the unit will always play DVD's. Not that I expect to watch DVD's when driving (I know, everyone says that), but it was easier than routing the wire to the brakes and tapping the correct one, in my mind.

It's a great unit - does the job and the bluetooth call quality is great.

If you like to use your steering wheel controls for the radio, I would suggest you also add the AXXESS steering wheel module at the same time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Glad to know other Odyssey's have the 3200BT. I plan of doing the bypass option as well, but haven't bought a relay yet (will try RadioShack first).

I bought the 3200BT, steering wheel adapter and a backup camera.
Does anyone have any tips for running the wiring from the head unit to the rear door???

·
Registered
16 Posts
thanks for the uploads!
do you like the unit? it's so affordable so i'm strongly considering it.
my wants:
ipod integration (other devices too)
bluetooth
backup camera

besides the DIN and some kind of harness, what do I need to buy?
there isn't a very easy listmaker out there for those that want to do this themselves.

i'd also like to add a camera (as noted above).

·
Registered
119 Posts
My motivation to buy was mp3 - the 6 CD changer sounded just fine (matched to the van acoustics), but by the first months my CD's were all over the place and such a hassle to flip CD's and not remember what was playing in what slot after a week.

So the needs were simple for me. I would have gladly gone with a single DIN Alpine, but a single DIN would look bad.

Then I looked at double-DIN units and wanted something with a camera input for future and Bluetooth (handsfree law was recently passed); Nav would've been nice. DVD was not necessary (as I have a rear entertainment system already). Turns out Nav units were close to $1000 (Cdn) and a decent double-din was $400-$500 cheaper. Simply didn't make sense to pay the premium for a built-in Nav that was ultimately less functional/useable than a $100-$200 garmin (and that I could move between vehicles).

Of all the units I could get locally, I narrowed down to Pioneer and Alpine. Of those two, both had good sound quality, alpine had an edge here. Pioneer had more features and functionality than the alpine and alpine was more money. That's generally how I ended up with the unit.

What I like about it:
Bluetooth sound works perfectly. Only phone is supported, not audio streaming (unless you buy the external bluetooth module). Phone syncs up no problem (both blackberry 8310, 9700 & Iphone 3GS). Sound during calls is excellent. Other party can hear anyone in seated in the van (mic is near the sunvisor). I can hear the other party fine. A bluetooth that sucks would be so incredibly annoying so this is important to me.

SD card: that's all I have in the van. I have a blackberry and prefer it over iphone (as a business tool). I don't have an ipod/pad/phone (my wife has the iphone) so I didn't evaluate apple integration options. Having said that, I did plug in my wifes iphone and it worked right away - I could scan playlists, artists, music and control through the head unit. With the AXXESS SWC, I could use the steering wheel controls. Back to the SD card, I have 8GB of music and I can navigate playlists, sonts relatively easily.

USB and Aux input is good to have for options (friends/wife want to plug in their tunes)

Camera input: Still have to hook this up.

3 x 4V RCA output: expandability in case I want to amp the system later

7-band EQ: 3 is too few and bass/treble alone is insufficient unless the system is tuned for the vehichle

Loudness: Usefull to have to fill in the sound at low volume

Color: Being able to match the buttons to the ody colors; although you only have six choices for the screen itself

Separate A/V input: I connected my rear entertainment system to it. I also like that you can boost/attenuate sources relative to the FM volume - this lets you normalize the volume between source inputs.

Easy to install.

Separate Sub control (on/off/cut-off): future/when I amp the system

What I don't like:
Metra dash kit: not the best, but it does the job

Buttons/touch: In general, I still like dials instead of pressing buttons/screens - maybe just showing my age, but I picky about the sound and like to adjust the tone - clicking the buttons to navigate menus and adjusting the EQ forces you to take eyes of the road. Having said that you'll be hard pressed to find a unit with dials and the pioneer doesn't bury the settings deep down like other units. I just have to get used to it.

Scrolling through playlist: It's not fluid like the iphone - apple has the UI hands-down across the market, hard to beat. Having said that it's still useable.

Mode hard-button: it either turns off or on the display. At night I prefer to just turn off the display, but if I change the track or want to seek, the screen won't turn on, unless I press the mode. It would be nice if the screen came on for 10 seconds and then went dark again. I'm getting picky here.

Phone integration: you can have upto 4 or 5 phones synced with the pioneer which is good, but when I change cars I have to go into the menu and select the phone (when it's not the first one on the registered list). Not a big deal, but I really shouldn't have to manually select it if none of the other phones are in range.

You can get the 3200BT for $400 or less retail - maybe cheaper on-line. It as good enough value for me!

·
Registered
16 Posts
this is absolutely perfect to read. thank you.

I too pine for the loss of knobs and tactile interfaces. when you're driving, nothing beats a knob because you don't have to look at it to know what you're doing.

KNOBS are GOOD, i wish they would come back. even if off to the sides of the screen...

___

WHat do I need to buy?
Of course head unit and DIN but anything else? It's pretty confusing... i've heard of harness kits too, and bypass things..

·
Registered
119 Posts
besides the DIN and some kind of harness, what do I need to buy?
Dash Kit ($30):
Metra 99-7869 or Schosche HA1577B (not sure about this one)

Harness (<$10):
Metra 70-1721 or Scosche HA08B

Antenna adapter (<$10):
Scoche HAAB or AD-HA-1

Steering Controls ($<60):
Axxess SWC

Relay ($5):
To bypass brake lock

Heat shrink tube for wiring joints (solder your joints)

Foam sheet/sleeve to wrap harness so as not to rattle inside the dash.

I did cut the bracket that held the old radio so I could re-use it to reinforce the pioneer unit. This is not necessary, but wanted to secure the unit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
thanks for this list.
i've assembled everything and begun installation.

what is not obvious:

Metra ASWC installation instructions suck. I can't figure out what to do here. pictures or better articulation if someone has been through this, would help me!

on the hunt for the reverse wire to test. same with 'brake wire'.
every search I do for these 2 subjects just turns up links to people asking and being told to 'search' like some kind of russian nesting doll of endless links.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sorry, didn't take a pic of the SWC install specifically, but it was just a few wires (see attached).

I connected the black wire of the ASWC and pin 11 of the factory radio harness to the same ground as the radio.

I connected the red wire of the ASWC to the same ACC+ (switched power) wire used for the radio

I connected the Grey wire with the Red stripe of the ASWC to pin 3 of the factory radio harness

Lastly, insert the 2.5mm plug from the ASWC into the back of the pioneer.

Didn't have to do anything else ... just turn the radio on and it worked.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
this does help. is pin 3 looking at the harness from the front or the back (back being where the wires feed into it).

presuming the front but don't know.

also, i think i found the reverse wire near the passenger side door.

unsure about where the brake wire is though - even with the bypass relay, it seems I have to plug it in.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'll attach the pinouts I used. Hope this helps. I wasn't absolutely clear on the "Illumination" wire.

I colored the table for the cables that connect together (e.g. black for all grounds that can be tied together).

The parking wire does not have to go to the parking brake, just the relay (pin 30, as labeled on the relay).

Hope it helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
ok mostly working now. Axxess okay. reverse camera ok.

Problem:
"caution: screen image may appear reversed" continually nagging me.
not sure what causes this.
going to be a long night

1 - 20 of 25 Posts