Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
101T vs 103T Load Rating on Tires

I need to replace the tires on my 2007 EX-L and after searching and reading comments on the forum, tire vendor sites and consumer report, I've narrowed my choice down to Hankook Optimo H727's or Kumho Solus KR21's. I'm looking for quiet, good wet handling and adequate snow/ice performance (without installing snow tires) so that is how I came up with these two choices. I have triple treads on my CRV and while they are great in snow and rain/wet, I find them noisey.

I've seen that many people have installed the H727's, but I noticed that the load rating on these is 101T versus 103T for the OEM Michelins I now have and the KR721's. Is this 101T load rating still safe and just means I can carry 120 lbs less of a load in my van (used discount tire load calculator) or else am I missing some safety issue.

Thanks in advance for any insight someone can provide.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I need to replace the tires on my 2007 EX-L and after searching and reading comments on the forum, tire vendor sites and consumer report, I've narrowed my choice down to Hankook Optimo H727's or Kumho Solus KR21's. I'm looking for quiet, good wet handling and adequate snow/ice performance (without installing snow tires) so that is how I came up with these two choices. I have Goodyear triple treads on my CRV and while they are great in snow and rain/wet, I find them noisey.

I've seen on the forum that many people have installed the Hankook H727's, but I noticed that the load rating on these is 101T versus 103T for the OEM Michelins I now have and for the Kumho Solus KR721's. Is this 101T load rating still safe and just means I can carry 120 lbs less of a load in my van (used discount tire load calculator) or else am I missing some safety issue? I'm leaning towards the Hankooks as they are rated a bit higher in ice/snow and a bit less expensive, but the lower load rating issue is holding me back so wanted to get others input/perspective.

Thanks in advance for any insight someone can provide.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I would not judge any tire for noise on a CR-V. Every tire will sound noisy on CR-V's. Been there...the dealer even swapped a few and drove with me in the car. Its mostly the car...not the tire!

About the tires for the van, I would pick the cheapest of the two load ratings if the difference is only 120lbs.

But if you're really maxing out tire load ratings on these, you should be looking at truck tires....or a different van!!!

·
Registered
613 Posts
I just had my 235/55R-18 Kumho Solus KL21 tires delivered by tire rack last night, so I have recently looked at this.

I also have two other vehicles with Assurance triple treads and they are quiet and sticky tires, great in rain. Agree with advice its not the tire its the CRV!

It depends on how you intend to use the van, if you have times when you load the crap out of it like I do, you probably want the 103 rated tires like the Solus. In the 18" size, the Hankook is rated the same as the Solus. You're right however, its not a huge amount of weight.

The Solus is a eco rated tire for what that is worth, and is supposed to roll easier. I'm just getting quotes to install, so that's all the review I can give, but tire rack has a lot of reviews.

·
Registered
346 Posts
guess what? The non-pax Tourings have 17" tires rated 102. Just buy either one that you want. I bet the actual GVWR of the van (see the door placard) is less than the total load that four 101s can handle (surmised but not verified).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts