Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

my wife and I just purchased a used 07 Odyssey EX with the PlusOne seat.

I'm trying to get the PlusOne stuffed under the floor, but like many others here (I used the search) I'm having some difficulty.

I did manage to get it in once but it wasn't in the orientation suggested in the manual. Instead of putting it in head-first, I had to slide it in with the folded legs first (so the head cushion was to the right of the van).

That said, the process is VERY difficult and I wondered what I'm doing wrong. And I just can't get it in as described in the manual (head first).

So, I looked under the mat in this storage area and noticed that there is a noticeable "hump" to the floor. Rather than being a flat-floored surface, it's rounded. If this were flat, it would probably give me that extra bit of clearance I need to get the PlusOne in there (just another 1/4" would do it).

Is it normal for this area to be curved, or is it supposed to be flat? I'm of course having visions of someone having tried to lift the vehicle from the center and deforming the body of the vehicle. Am I just being paranoid or does it sound like something's wrong?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Not sure about the hump, I have only had the van 2 months and haven't et looked at the storage bin.

As to how to put the seat there, there is a built-in trick: The seat itself has a handle built into it, at the back where the back folds. If you take the seat off its base and fold the legs, you just have to hang it by the handle and slide it in place so that the handle is towards the back and on top. The seat cushion then goes leather/fabric up on the left side. The when you want to take it out, the handle is right where you need it. :)

Hope this helps.

Nicolas

·
Registered
778 Posts
I don't store a seat down there, so I can't really say how it fits, but I do remember my thoughts on it back in 2004 when we learned the facts of the then "new" odyssey redesign. I remember getting the idea that it wasn't really designed to easily store the plus one seat. It was more like they designed the car and someone tried to fit it in and said "oh look we can pass this off as a buying point." In 07 the EX's no longer had the lazy susan, but that was also advertised as being "easy to remove for cleanup," but I did try taking that out just to see how it worked and it was not easy and not something you would want to do regularly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
We took our plus one seat out and leave it in the garage. I haven't run into the situation where we met an 8th person who needed a ride while we were already out so we just leave the seat out and put a lazy susan in it instead.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I just took it back to the dealer today to get the floormats (they offered us a new set when we bought it, but didn't have them on hand) and while I was there I brought up the storage compartment issue with the guy who sold us the van.

I looked inside an '07 LX (should be the same) and the inside of the storage bin is flat, not curved like mine. I showed him mine and he seemed to think nothing was wrong, and "I don't know what to tell you" was the response, along with the suggestion that we have their service dept. look at it (with the assurance we wouldn't be charged to check it out).

Then I got home and took a look underneath (should have done this before), and sure enough, the "box" of the storage area looks like it's been crushed from back to front ...the worst point is at the front, like it got stuck on a snowbank or something. Now it's possible that they are all made in this irregular shape, but I doubt it, I'm guessing it's supposed to be a square box attached to the underside.

Anyone have any pics they can share of the underside of an Odyssey? If I'm right that this one is squashed, I'm going to go back to the dealer and point out that from the outside it's easy to see, and hopefully they can do something about it.

My wife and I are disappointed right now that there's some damage to the vehicle that was not disclosed to us before we purchased it, so hopefully the dealership (Scott Honda of West Chester, PA) will do something about it and not just blow us off, but that remains to be seen. We're trying to keep our expectations low considering today's response from the salesman, but our hopes high that we don't end up in some sort of battle. We want to keep this Odyssey, but on the condition that this is resolved and that there isn't any OTHER damage that also wasn't disclosed to us.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would think that the dealer should try and help fix it. From what I have heard, and I've heard enough, between Piazza, Martin, and Scott (local area dealerships), Scott has been rather reputable. I haven't heard any complaints about them. (and I've heard plenty about the other two), even though I bought from Piazza. I will try and post a picture if no one else beats me to it. There used to be a nice 3D virtual tour on Honda's website that would clearly illustrate that, but I haven't gone looking for it in a while.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Cntrtwnltd. That would be great if you could post a photo.

Here's what mine looks like, you can clearly see where it looks like something "pushed up" under the front of the storage bin.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'll check mine out today and tell you if it looks the same, but something about yours doesn't seem right. Looks like somebody ran over something and it hit that area really hard.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here's a picture of ours, yours has definately been jacked up somehow. I know there are two different plus one seats, our 07 folded up so it would fit in the understorage area, our 09 does not fold up and fit in the understorage, I don't know if it is trim level related though. Regardless the area should be flat and not have a hump.

·
Registered
778 Posts
You could also drive up to the dealer and compare with others (new or used) on the lot. I know Scott also keeps many Odys in their storage lot, rather than in the dealer area where you'd attract commision based salesman. Or you can come by and check out mine in central delco ;)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
VanMan09 said:
Here's a picture of ours, yours has definately been jacked up somehow. I know there are two different plus one seats, our 07 folded up so it would fit in the understorage area, our 09 does not fold up and fit in the understorage, I don't know if it is trim level related though. Regardless the area should be flat and not have a hump.

Our's is a '06 and the bottom of the storage bins looks like this one. gmx...looks like the previous owner hit something pretty hard to bend the bottom of the storage bin. Makes me kind of wonder if there was any other damage done to the front end, since the box is in the center of the vehicle and is no lower than the front end components.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
I would say that the odds are that either the previous owner or a shop incorrectly tried to jack up the car using that part of the storage bin v/s an actual wreck or running over something.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the continued attention to this thread. :)

Mine is definitely messed up, I saw vanman's pic and then stopped at another dealer (after closing time) and looked under another 1 or 2 and they looked like VanMan's.

I've struggled with how this damage could have occurred without also trashing something in front of or behind it. I haven't been fully underneath the vehicle to get a good look, but as best I can tell by sticking my head under the sides, nothing else is broken -- unless other things were mashed and got repaired already, and they either didn't notice this one (unlikely) or decided it would be too difficult to fix and let it be.

My first impression was as dvpatel mentioned, someone probably tried to jack up the vehicle by the center and crushed this. Otherwise I could see it maybe happening if someone had driven off a high curb fast enough that the center came down on the edge of the curb, then the suspension bounced it back up and prevented further damage to the underside.

In any case I'm pretty disappointed that this was seemingly either unnoticed (incompetence), or noticed and left undisclosed (dishonesty) to us, by the dealership. My hope now is that they will either give us some kind of rebate or fix it, but I'm not sure how easy a fix this is, and then I'd be concerned about them making things worse and not sealing/undercoating properly and I end up with a rust-bucket in a few years from water intrusion.

We set up a service appt with them for Thursday so we'll see what happens. Appreciate the help here, I'll keep the thread updated with whatever develops.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't mean to sound like an ass however the maxim caveat emptor would certainly apply here. While I can understand your disappointment that the dealership did not see this or, perhaps even worse, saw it but did not disclose this, I'm not sure they're legally required to have done so since it's not a safety issue. Above and beyond this, you could have had the van inspected by another dealer or an independent mechanic prior to purchasing it and you chose not to. In light of this, I would say the dealership is under no legal obligation to remedy the situation. Certainly, it would help them from a PR standpoint but I would not be surprised if they tell you to pound salt.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
colnago1331 said:
I don't mean to sound like an ass however the maxim caveat emptor would certainly apply here. While I can understand your disappointment that the dealership did not see this or, perhaps even worse, saw it but did not disclose this, I'm not sure they're legally required to have done so since it's not a safety issue. Above and beyond this, you could have had the van inspected by another dealer or an independent mechanic prior to purchasing it and you chose not to. In light of this, I would say the dealership is under no legal obligation to remedy the situation. Certainly, it would help them from a PR standpoint but I would not be surprised if they tell you to pound salt.
You've got to be kidding me. Do you work for a dealer?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
colnago1331, I'd be delighted for you to show me where I said anything about a legal obligation here.

If I thought that were the case, I'd be in much better spirits about this because I would not be in for an uphill battle, yet I'm sure that's what I'm in for. I fully expect them to tell me to go to hell. Car dealerships generally aren't exactly known for making good on these sorts of things once they've got your money in their clutches.

I expect that this is going to be a customer service issue. You aren't telling anything novel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
And I'd be delighted for you to tell me where I said you said anything about a legal obligation. My only point was the dealership would certainly have every right to tell you to bugger off. I'm not saying that it will. I'm not saying that it even should. I'm just saying that it could and, if it did, you would have no real recourse.

This being said - your earlier posts certainly make it sound as if you expect the dealer to take care of it for you. You talk about how if they don't you'll have a "battle" on your hands.

Originally posted by gmx We're trying to keep our expectations low considering today's response from the salesman, but our hopes high that we don't end up in some sort of battle.
What would that "battle" be if you didn't expect the dealer to take care of it?

ETA:
And no - I don't work for a Honda dealership or, for that matter, a dealership of any kind. Nor do I work for Honda or any car manufacturer. I'm not even in the auto industry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
colnago,

That "battle" would be one of escalation with their customer service and anyone else who will listen. You've heard of this concept, right? Or do you expect me to just walk away if they flatly say "sorry, can't do anything for you?" Get real.

As I said, you aren't telling anything novel. I'd rather not waste any more time "battling" you here on this silly issue of comprehension, I've better things to do, so I'm hoping it's clear by now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I hope they end up fixing it for you. My guess is first they will give you the run around, but I bet if you bug them enough they will at least try to pound it out or something. Most Honda dealers will change oil and do an inspection on the vehicle after they take it in, and the problem you have would certainly be noticeable when they had it on the lift(if they in fact inspected it at all). It's possible somebody tried to jack it up, but since it's on that corner they were an idiot if they tried. Hopefully they don't try to b.s. you and say it just falls under accepting a used vehicle that has scrathces, dents, dings, etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts