Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new (to us) 2007 EXL last week, and it seems like an awesome van. Until today when my wife was accelerating from a stop sign and at around 70 km/h (~45mph) while still accelerating, the van downshifted to first or second gear and slowed down rather abruptly. I wasn't there but from her description it must have red-lined the engine, so I'm assuming first gear. It did this a few times, so she pulled over and turned it off, and tried again, everything back to normal.

Any ideas? Did we buy a bad transmission?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Sounds like the transmission shudder symptom. Bring it to local Honda dealer and have them see if the Update was applied.

See the thread on this page with "transmission shudder' in the title.

Also, if you haven't done it, have a local shop swap the tranny fluid as well, especially if you don't know what the service history of the vehicle is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update to this thread. Took it to the dealer, they couldn't find anything. The van behaved itself until yesterday, when it did the same thing. This time I was driving, and quickly figured out that it's the brakes, not the transmission. While accelerating through 60km/h it felt as if someone slammed on the brakes... except my foot was firmly on the accelerater. The RPM's stayed where they were, no down shifting at all, just full on brakes. It's a very strange feeling to have that happen. I repeated it a few times to make sure it was the brakes, no extra dashboard lights came on, no other symptoms.

Obviously I'm taking it to be looked at again, but any ideas out there?

·
Registered
143 Posts
If your front and rear tires happen to have a different diameter, the ABS brakes should kick in.
Even if you have the same make, check all 4 measurements.
Otherwise, ABS module connections (including fuse holder, I've seen it happen).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Brake pads? If they are worn out behind limits they might drop in between the disk and the caliper sometimes. But you said you had the dealer to check everything. Oh well... dealers...

·
Registered
54 Posts
mdh, how many miles are on your transmission? I have had two Odysseys, the 2007 EXL would downshift and lurch forward when you slowed down (say when you turn into your driveway). Nothing like that ever happened at higher RPMs or speeds. The dealer software update sort of made it better, but it was still there.

I agree with the idea of checking the tires, with ABS/VSC systems you want 4 tires that are the same make and model and the same wear level.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course the dealer found nothing, no codes showed up. :( Brakes and tires are 3 months old (were replaced by the dealer I bought it at), and the transmission and van have 81K on it to the best of my knowledge. I'll make sure they are the same size. Starting to think I should have kept the old rusty Venture. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Resurrecting an old thread here, this sudden stopping has occurred three times in two years. We've narrowed it down to it not actually downshifting, but fully engaging the brakes. RPM's stay where they were Further, we think it's the VSA system. If it occurs and the vehicle is restarted, the problem goes away. If the VSA is turned off without restarting the van, the problem also goes away. Of course since we can't force it to happen, this our best guess.

Then I found this article, summary is the NHTSA is investigating the same problem after receiving 22 complaints. Unfortunately I don't live in the USA or I'd make it 23.

Has anyone else come across this?

thanks
mike

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
Seems you're the first one on Odyclub. I too have a 2007 and so does my buddy. No issues like you are experiencing.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
How is your wheel alignment? Specifically, is your steering wheel centered? If off-centre, it could cause the VSA to engage when it detects a difference between the actual and intended vehicle directions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just had it aligned, drives true and straight. Given the other Honda recalls (Pilot, Fit, etc) with VSA and that the times it has happened the weather was cold and damp, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was a similar issue to the other vehicles. I'll be talking to the dealer again today, who in spite of this being far out of warranty are being very good about it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hmm, I'm wondering if you could do one of two things or heck..both.

1-Brake fluid flush
2-Go and on a flat, level road….30-50mph…slam on the brakes to activate ABS in order to cycle the ABS system on the vehicle.

I wonder if either of these would help you. Oh, one more thing..is it possible the brake light switch is acting up?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called Honda Canada on recommendation from my dealer, and after having gotten half-way through the explanation the customer rep interrupted me to say there was a recall for this issue, with the letter having been sent three days in the future. Timing is everything. I haven't seen anything official or a press release yet but feel a lot better that there will be resolution to this issue.

Through all of this I have nothing but good to say about my dealership's service department (Brantford Honda) and Honda Canada. And of course this forum! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,219 Posts
Honda released TSB 13-098 - "Safety Recall: 2007–08 Odyssey VSA System Unexpectedly Activates" today regarding this issue. Check out the 2007 and 2008 TSB sticky threads for details.

For full information on the issue, go to the Honda Owners website at https://owners.honda.com. Log in and after you click on your 2007 or 2008 Odyssey, go to the Service & Maintenance tab and find the recalls link. In recalls, towards the bottom you will find Recently Announced Recalls.

Under that you will find the following links with detailed information on the issue and how to avoid the issue until the solution is available.
2007-2008 Odyssey VSA Recall - Vehicle Operating Instructions
2007-2008 Odyssey: VSA Recall

1 - 14 of 14 Posts