Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Odyssey EX-L 2007
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Looking to see if anyone might have some ideas for me about what is going on with my wife's van. She has a Honda Odyssey EX-L 2007. We were driving this morning and she mentions that she thought the van was shifting a little funny lately. A bit of a delay and needed to be higher RPM than she is used to. A few minutes after she mentioned this The "D" light on the dash stared to blink. The check engine light was not turning on however.
When we got to our destination. I checked the fluid level and the fluid was showing too high on the dipstick. I would estimate about 3/4 of inch above the range marks. I don't know why the fluid would be so high, we haven't changed anything with that at all. The "D" light continued to flash when the car was in park.
A few hours later when we were leaving the "D" was no longer flashing and did not engage again on the way home, about a half hour drive. I took it by Autozone and they couldn't get any error codes off the computer. The van still seems to be shifting a little delayed still though and the fluid level is still reading high.

Well if anyone has any ideas on what it could be and how I can fix it. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
+1 for checking for coolant in the trans fluid. Addressing it immediately may be the difference between just replacing the radiator and getting new trans fluid in vs needing both a radiator and a transmission.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
135 Posts
On some Pilots, Ridgelines, and MDXes of this era, it was a common problem where the radiator fittings would rust and allow coolant and transmission fluid to mix. I don't think it was as widespread of a problem on the Odyssey, but nonetheless could be your issue. Check if the coolant reservoir looks like it has transmission fluid in it or if it is low on coolant. If so, stop driving it ASAP.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L
8 Posts
If the transmission fluid looks like a strawberry milkshake then there is definitely coolant mixing with it.

·
Registered
Honda Odyssey EX-L 2007
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Solved it. I have no idea why the coolant was reading high the fluid was not contaminated with coolant, but there was also a clatter developing . It sounded like a belt tensioner going out. I thought it was on the serpentine belt, but the noise remained after taking loose that belt.

Long story short, it was the tensioner on the timing belt. Timing belt was getting slack periodically, allowed the cams to wiggle a bit. That sent a signal to the computer that messed with the transmission. It sent back an error to the computer. I had a mechanic read out the codes for me. He didn't nail down the issue, but pointed me in the right direction.

After replacing the timing belt and tensioner (did the waterpump as well since I was in there) it is working perfectly again.

Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Glad you resolved the issue although it’s odd that your transmission fluid level would increase. I hope you installed the Aisin kit for your timing belt job.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
135 Posts
Solved it. I have no idea why the coolant was reading high the fluid was not contaminated with coolant, but there was also a clatter developing . It sounded like a belt tensioner going out. I thought it was on the serpentine belt, but the noise remained after taking loose that belt.

Long story short, it was the tensioner on the timing belt. Timing belt was getting slack periodically, allowed the cams to wiggle a bit. That sent a signal to the computer that messed with the transmission. It sent back an error to the computer. I had a mechanic read out the codes for me. He didn't nail down the issue, but pointed me in the right direction.

After replacing the timing belt and tensioner (did the waterpump as well since I was in there) it is working perfectly again.

Thanks for the ideas.
This was actually the first thing that crossed my mind when you mentioned the blinking D light, but since you didn't mention the clatter, I didn't bring it up. I had this exact same issue - bad tensioner throwing a transmission code and blinking D light. How many miles were on your car?

·
Registered
3 Posts
How difficult was it to get the crankshaft bolt loose? I also have a 2007 and want to change the timing belt. The factory torqued that thing on so tight that a 850 ft/lb impact wrench didn't loosen it.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
135 Posts
How difficult was it to get the crankshaft bolt loose? I also have a 2007 and want to change the timing belt. The factory torqued that thing on so tight that a 850 ft/lb impact wrench didn't loosen it.
I've heard that the crankshaft bolt is a real pain in the ass to get off. Timing belt was too big of a job for me though, I bought the Aisin kit myself and took it to my mechanic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts