Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve been experiencing a problem with my Honda Odyssey its been happening more frequently lately.

So I am driving and I come to a stop at a stop light. Right before I start slowing down the AC what kind of turn off almost like a power outage but it would come right back on almost like the car wants to stall.. usually some lights on the dash would flash few of them. Can’t catch them they pop Up then disappear

then light turns green the car won’t move while pressing on the gas up to about 20 mph. Usually would have to pull over put it in park then drive then it’s back to normal but it happens every time I slow down to a stop light

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the air filter is pretty dirty ordered that.. its on the way

I’ll have to check throttle

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have noticed something else when I turn the AC off I believe it’s all happening only when the AC is on

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
I have noticed something else when I turn the AC off I believe it’s all happening only when the AC is on
When A/C is on there is load on the engine. Replace the filter and check the throttle body if it's gunked up.

·
Registered
779 Posts
When A/C is on there is load on the engine. Replace the filter and check the throttle body if it's gunked up.
He gotta make sure he does the relearn process after doing it correct?.. specially if it is pretty nasty there....with the nt510.

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
A dirty throttle body isn't going to cause this. If it was, it would be setting a check engine light. If it only happens with the AC on it makes me suspicious of a failing AC compressor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is no check engine light the filter is basically black haven’t got to Throttlebody yet.

Driving with the AC on is perfectly fine it’s just when you stop at a light that’s when you get that slight power shortage then my car won’t celebrate more than 10 mph unless I put it in park then Drive.

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
As a test, pull the filter out and drive it to see if it improves. Don't drive without a filter for an extended period but as a test for a short time won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ll test it today with out the Air filter and see if I have any luck with that.

For the throttlebody cleaning going too have to wait until the weekend.

anything else I should do to help?

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
Don't clean the throttle body unless you have a scan tool that can clear the throttle position data.

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
It needs to have bidirectional functions. It just any OBDII scan tool will do it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
As john was saying you need an obd2 reader that can as well talk to the car's computer. Usually the cheap one can only read codes and erase it. The foxwell NT510 with the Honda software can do that. When the throttle body is too dirty and it is clean up the computer can't do a relearn by itself. The nt510 as well as other bidirectional obd2 can tell the computer to do the relearn process.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
You can get a brand new Foxwell NT510 for $129 - on sale now. Get it pre-loaded with the Honda software. Normally it costs $179.

Foxwellstore.com

This is the one to get.

Read more about it on this thread:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
update.

The air filter it was pretty nasty underneath it was this huge black spot almost like a burn I just haven’t been changed at all. Ashley just got the car a few months ago.

Soon as I started the car turn the AC on. it kinda hesitated then AC blew fine put it in drive couldn’t go anywhere so I had to put it in park and then drive. Took off fine was fine for the next 20 minutes until after the car wash it has happened twice so far kind of aggravating especially in traffic when you have to put it back in park or reverse then drive.
Picking up Air filter now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New air filter installed.
I’m going to try again if have the same problem occurs going to order the scanner today. So I’ll be able to clean The throttlebody

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I recommend you also check and replace the cabin air filter. Nothing to do with your engine performance, but I bet that has never been replaced and is quite nasty looking.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts