Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lately I have discovered that my rear tail light has been filling up with water. No clue exactly how..

When opening the rear trunk water just pours out from the tail light Assembly. After removing the cover that’s located on the inside of the trunk driver side it’s leaks out from one of the bulbs spots.

Assembly does not look damaged

Have anyone had a similar issue? Or steps I should take?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Yep, this is a very common issue.

As hpark21 says, drill 1/8" inch holes in the corner of each to allow the water to drain out.

There is a TSB to repair the leak, but it is a very complicated repair. The issue is NOT that the taillight is leaking and simply needs to be resealed, as many people assume.

I drilled holes in both my taillights many years ago.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,766 Posts
Interesting, I wasn't aware that this was a common problem. Good to know for future reference.

Do you just drill a small hole on the bottom outside of the plastic shell? Left or right side?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Interesting, I wasn't aware that this was a common problem. Good to know for future reference.

Do you just drill a small hole on the bottom outside of the plastic shell? Left or right side?
Many threads. Most times one corner suffices.
I only drilled one hole on my Mazda. On the one taillight that collected water.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,748 Posts
IIRC the TSB only applies to 2010s? So far I haven't had this problem.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts

In my case, I’m referring to the taillights in the lift gate that swings up. I drilled one hole in each outboard lower corner. So the right side of the passenger side taillight and the left side of the driver’s side taillight.

Reactions: jiantao

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
This also happened to my 07, I also drilled a hole in the bottom of the light.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Please. No need to drill holes in tail lights.

Just follow the TSB instructions that takes two days and lots of blood spilt. lol.

I did it, and my wounds are almost healed now after a few months.

Lots of storms and rain, and no water so far in reverse lights for us fwiw, no tail light issue for us..
Lots of water in reverse lights prior. Once dissembled, obvious how water got into reverse light pocket fwiw.

Installed new tail light gaskets, and scraped some seam sealer away. Dried out / wiped out reverse light assembly, so far all good.

All good now, after my wounds are healing, after trying to remove that center rear ext bar/panel above lights.
On the touring it is chrome. What a pain.

It's not too bad. You just have to disassemble the whole interior tailgate, upside down. While you are looking up.
My neck is almost back to normal.

Dealer says 2.5 hours for job.
Good luck with that. Just don't attempt this with the plastic cold. IYKWIM.

I have photos of this too if anyone interested.

My tail light gaskets were seriously degraded.

And I feel the gaskets where installed wrong from factory on my van fwiw. There are protrusions with a built in washers.
The gasket from factory was on the taillight side, when I felt the gasket should have been on the body side.
It will make sense when and if you dissemble.

Also there are at least two other posts per light that have little tiny rubber washers I never read about, no info on those tiny destroyed washers. You can see the inside posts on pdf pic.
I made my own out of the old gasket material.
Seemed to work fine, so far at least.

Looking at the TSB pdf, it is #8, rear license trim, that I struggled with. Two of those clips are behind the metal super structure.

After deep reflection, the drill bit sounds cool too fwiw. lol
Whatever works for you.

TSB

·
Registered
2010 EX-L 230,000 2010 Touring 93,000
102 Posts
Both of my '10's had water in the tail light. I just drilled a 1/16" hole in the lowest point of the lens. Solved the problem. No cost.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
FYI
A lot of people think the tail light is a sealed unit and that water intrusion is caused by a taillight seal or seam being bad. The reality is the tail light is not sealed; water is getting to the tail light from another leak source as described in the technical service bulletin.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Whether in vehicles or construction, water collects at the lowest points and damages whatever it touches. The solution is always to eliminate the collection or pooling of water.

Drill a damn hole and be done with it... This isn't rocket science...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had this problem on my 2010 and did not know about the drilling small hole solution. To solve it, I got a tube of clear silicone and caulked anywhere that could let in water, and I have not had a problem in years.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,748 Posts
Water intrusion has never been an issue for me.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Water intrusion has never been an issue for me.
Still too new master...07 not yet @ 100k...that leak is waiting for u 1k miles.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,748 Posts
Reactions: kaimanson

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’ll try that because it’s Geting very frustrating when opening rear and Getting wet. After the last few storms we had here in WI.

I took the cover off so nothing rust out. I’ll post updates soon

1 - 20 of 29 Posts