Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Odyssey, 45000 miles.

Recently my Odyssey seems to not start in the mornings, some days the battery will be dead, I have tightened the terminals, and charged it. Still when I go to start it, it sputters, pauses, and then starts and runs fine. Seems to do this everytime I start it now. It does start, but it pauses. Doors close really slow as well.

I hooked the charger up to the battery, but it says it it fine. Could it be the battery?

Any thoughts??

·
Registered
755 Posts
If you haven't replaced the battery, you actually have used it for a long time for this type of car. This minivan has a lot of electronics running and the capacity of OEMs battery is a bit too small for this car, thus dies out earlier than other cars. Our old 05's battery died in like 3 years if i remember correctly. I would suggest going to either honda or autozone to get the battery checked even if your charger says its fine just in case. If i were you, i would start from there. Our 05 needed 3 battery replacements in 5 years of ownership, even though we drove it A LOT. sometimes even a thousand miles within a few days. But it still died out quickly. And if the battery is the problem, a lot of people recommend aftermarket, like optima, batteries because you'll be able to find a battery with a bigger capacity. If those aftermarket companies give you a warranty, then i would go for it. But at the time we needed a replacement, Honda was giving out 100months warranty on the battery so we went with honda. So we only paid for one, and got the other two replaced under the warrranty.

·
Registered
193 Posts
What's the group size on the OEM battery ?

And what's the biggest anyone has shoehorned in? I think about the battery every time I run the sliders with the car off. I bet that's a pretty big pull on the battery.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What's the group size on the OEM battery ?

And what's the biggest anyone has shoehorned in? I think about the battery every time I run the sliders with the car off. I bet that's a pretty big pull on the battery.
I have the same feeling too, that's why i usually close the door while the engine is still on. Of course i can't do that when i try to get into the car.

Does anyone know whether those solar power charger which plug into the front outlet works as they advertised?
I have an impression that those outlet has diode which prevent current from back flowing hence preventing you from charging the system....
I might be wrong.
I saw those charger selling on amazon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked out Optima, which is a better choice for the Odyssey? Red Top or Yellow Top. I am about 100 miles from Cities that carry batteries, or anything for that matter. But am traveling today, so will get a new one.

RedTop: High-CCA starting battery. Provides engine cranking power for vehicles with stock or average electrical loads.

YellowTop: Dual-purpose starting and deep cycle battery. Provides engine starting power plus deep cycle capacity to support multiple accessories , demanding electrical systems , and vehicles without alternators.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Get yourself the Duralast Gold from Autozone, full replacement 36 months, not prorate, can't beat that, had it replaced right after last Chrismast of 2010 after owned it for 3yrs. Don't spend too much money on battery, average last you about 3yrs or more if you lucky, maybe less, get what is reliable out there. I had Duralast Gold in both of my cars. I think it's time for you to replace your battery. Get it replace before you get stranged out there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. Got a new battery from Advance Auto Parts, On Sale, Free Install, 36 month warranty. Started first turn of the key, no sputtering.

Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts