Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We'll I've scoured the site and the internet. I too am having the soft brake pedal issue. Mine has a twist to it. It's cold here averaging around -25C. My brake pedal literally freezes after is sits for 4+ hrs? I had the VSA recall done and the pedal still isn't right... mind you the pedal didn't seem right before the recall work either! I've never seen a vehicle or read such posts about a japanese car? I bought the van just before Xmas in Minnesota and the braking power sucks! The Stealer said there was air in the rear passenger caliper? So they bled the one caliper and all was supposed to be like new! One caliper? I test drove and noticed no difference. The service advisor says they are all like that! I test drove an exact van on their lot with similar miles and that van was much better but still not to what brakes are supposed to be or at least what any other car I've ever driven. Stealer had another tech drive both and tech agreed mine was soft...I dropped off the van late at night and left it in front of the shop door.. kid who drove it in crapped his pants because brakes were frozen (no apparent collision happened) but he supposedly reported it to someone because the service tech knew about it, so they can't deny the condition doesn't exist... so stealer then flushed "entire system" (modules, calipers, etc..)and said they found "more air" and all was great... freezing definitely due to air in system. Brakes are slightly and I mean slightly better... but I'll still rear end someone in a panic stop and brakes are STILL freezing. Now brakes are okay for the 1st and 2nd application then they freeze up for the next 8 or so apps then they are okay again? Stealer now says its an in-line check valve from the booster to the manifold. Their "Best Tech" says he's seen this before! Funny he couldn't think of this before on the last 2 visits! Cost is $29 for the part and $50 to change because valve is built into the hose. I'll buy part and change, but I doubt it'll do anything. Of course stealer wants to do another overnighter if valve doesn't correct problem so their "best tech" can experience it! Why can't Honda get the brakes right on these vans! Anyone come across this? Called 4 Honda dealers across North America/Canada and all said they've never even sold a part like this yet? I'm also thinking of changing front pads to EBC yellowstuff with slotted rotors to get some decent grabbing... anyone with any thoughts or have a solution? I can't find anything conclusive anywhere on this site or the entire internet to show how to solve either of these issues besides selling and getting something else! I recently changed pads on all 4 corners of my bro-in-laws 03' CRV and even with the pads immediately out of the box you can launch your passenger out the front window if you hammer them! I didn't even machine the rotors, just serviced the pins and all contact points, cleaned up calipers and used Wagner Thermo Quiet pads. Entire cost ...$100. He can't believe how good the brakes are! I was so impressed with the brand that I decided to try Honda as my next vehicle since his CRV has been flawless! I used to be a mechanic and this is my first import vehicle... was a true GM/Dodge Boy and never had any issues with any of my vehicles...EVER! I drove a 1990 Lumina for 240,000 miles trouble free! No joke! I drove my 91 dodge caravan for 125,000 sold it and I still see it every other week. My 99 Suburban 2500 with 101,000 miles outweighs this van and has 300% better brakes and even they are known for not being the greatest, but I can still stop in a panic situation! I've driven every vehicle for at least 130,00miles before something has gone wrong and some nothing, and I was easily able to correct the problem for very little money. I thought that Odyssey's were the cream of the crop? So far, nothing but disappointment. 2 weeks of ownership and I've already spent $600 on brakes, tranny fluid, bulbs, Power Steering fluid, cabin filter etc... This is really turning me off of Honda! I may consider trading for a Dodge... don't want to if I can solve the problem as I love the look and feel of the van. Sorry for being winded... but I'm fustrated and can't figure out what's wrong. This really stings as I am considered in certain circles to be a good mechanic, but at this point, I'm ready to play russian roulette over this van. HELP!!!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sorry to hear about the brake problems about your Odyssey. I too have the 07 Odyssey EX-L with 79000 kms on it without the issues that you're reporting, however in Toronto we don't experience -25 deg C all the time.

There should be a master cylinder recall on the 07 Odyssey, did the dealer apply that? Have you tried getting this diagnosed by another dealer?

What brake fluid is the dealer using?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dealer flushed system with one bottle of Honda brake fluid. The entire brake system has now been checked by two different Honda dealers and two private garages.as in other posts no one can figure it out? Tonight I pumped the pedal twice and the booster got hard as a rock started the van and the pedal stayed hard with no brakes until I pumped the pedal about 10 timesthis tells me the check valve could be bad but the van only has 61000kms on it.of course out of warranty. I'm getting check valve on friday I'm also going to bleed the brakes the old school way and see of that helps? If $300 can't resolve problem then it's off to toyota or dodge for this van my conscience won't let me sell it privately at least the next dealer will have to repair for the next owner under warranty or correct before putting on the lot the part that scrares me is that dealer seems to think they are good! I'll post results hopefully this check valve could be the prob for a lot of us?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
car is a usa model, will report to them tomorrow. I seriously don't think they care or have a solution except to tell me to go to the dealer. Can I assume your brakes are good? by that i mean a great pedal feel and very responsive? I seriously can't stop well even at 25 km!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yes, my brakes are in working order especially at 25km/h.

Was the dealer in the US, a Honda dealer and the car Honda certified? I'm not sure if that program exists in the US.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts