Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's Odyssey, a 2007, had new pads and rotors on all four corners in May 2010. Just recently (about the last 6-8 weeks), the brakes make a grinding/scraping noise when braking but are otherwise fine -- stopping power is normal/good, no noise when not braking, no shimmy or vibration. I inspected all four corners and the pads have LOTS of meat left on them, and none of the rotors are scored at all. There isn't even a significant rust lip forming at the outer edge of the rotors (my initial thought was a rust lip was forming and scraping off the pad, causing noise).

I'm at a loss for what this noise might be caused by. To better clarify, the noise is a low/deep tone, not a squeal at all. It sounds just like the noise you hear the first time you hit the brakes after a heavy rainstorm has caused rust on the face of the rotors. Same noise, but not the same cause!!

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oh, they put the aftermarket pads on, didn't they. Put some OEM pads on and your noisy brakes will be cured. They're not that expensive, I just changed mine for about $70 Canadian.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd tend to agree with you on that, but the weird thing is that the noise started about a year (or more) after the pads and rotors were changed. I believe they're aftermarket (I didn't put them on). Why would they 'all of a sudden' start making this noise?

The noise might have started shortly after changing to brand new Toyo tires and servicing the brakes, but it wasn't immediately afterwards, as I remember going for multiple drives after the new tires and brake service was done and the noise wasn't present.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That sounds about right for aftermarket pads. Different brands can act a little differently. If it's been running that long, they may have glazed up the rotors as well. Sometimes, to give the pads warranty, they construct them so hard that the rotors will wear out before the pads. You can imagine what that must sound like to drive.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I had some aftermarket pads on a different car and the pad itself cracked 3 ways. They were still plenty thick, but the grinding noise was the issue just like yours...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I changed the pads front pad for OEM's, and the noise is completely gone. The strange thing is, the aftermarket pads still have a lot of meat left on them and there are no cracks, chips, grooves, or glazing - they look like perfectly-fine used pads. Very strange...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does this problem only apply to pads and/or rotors as well? I have a 2007 Ody Touring and had the front brakes replaced under a year now. Just recently, getting this grinding noise when coming to a complete stop. Basically at low speeds. Should I just change the pads or will the rotors cause a problem as well?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Its an old debate as to Refinish rotors or replace them. Most people replace rotors with a lower quality than the factory ones, anything under $100can per rotor is CHEAP. The cheaper rotors seem to rust up quickly and cause issues as described here. Also you get what you pay for in pars. I've had good luck with Raybestos Ceramic on all Japan cars.

Al

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just checked my service records and all OEM except front rotors. Do the OEM's also cause this noise? There are a few threads that recommend to use only OEM while others are using good aftermarket parts like the Raybestos w/o any problems.

I took the van to my mechanic and doesn't visibly see any problems. Maybe I'll just start with replacing the front rotors with a better quality or OEM one to see if the noise goes away but for some reason, the sound seems to be coming from the rear but not 100% sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts