Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2007 Odyessey with 67k miles and regularly maintained. Just noticed that there is a metallic rattling or grinding noise coming from the front end while accelerating between 15-25 MPH. I also get the noise sometimes while turning at lower speeds.

There is no noticeable difference in acceleration or control of the vehicle....just that the noise makes me nervous....cant tell if it is a ball bearing grindling, a heat shield rattling, or (gulp) the start of a transmission problem.

Any ideas on what I might be able to check...dont think there will be a mechanic open on new years day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
2007 Odyessey - metallic rattle/grinding noise while accelerating to 20mph?

2007 Odyessey with 67k miles and regularly maintained. Just noticed that there is a metallic rattling or grinding noise coming from the front end while accelerating between 15-25 MPH. I also get the noise sometimes while turning at lower speeds.

There is no noticeable difference in acceleration or control of the vehicle....just that the noise makes me nervous....cant tell if it is a ball bearing grindling, a heat shield rattling, or (gulp) the start of a transmission problem.

EDIT - More Info

Had a chance to drive the car again and listen more carefully.

- It is possible to slowly accelerate and avoid making the noise.
- The noise is most prevelant between 15-18 MPH
- Noise is not present at all while cranking the RPMs up to 3500 while in Park.
- The noise can be briefly be heard while punching the gas as high as 38mph.

After listening more carefully, the noise is less metallic and more of a whine/combo...kinda like a slipping belt, but not that exactly.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Does the sound match the engine revs? Could be the power steering pump issue. It makes a strange sound and usually can be heard at lower speeds and changes with rpms.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i have a similar noise, grinding at very low speed right after starting the odyssey, and a flapping noise around 15-20mph
chirping noise as well at lower speeds as well..
about 67k miles as well

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took the van in this morning to the dealership. They have identified the problem as a loose heat shield.

Now here is the shocker (not really, we are talking about a dealership), the service manager is telling me that he will have to replace the 2 heat shields and that it will cost $455. WTH?

He said something about having to remove and drop the A pipe and having to replace the shields. I did review the TSB dealing with the heatshield and in fact it is recommended that you drop tha A pipe and replace...yadda yadda yadda.

Can anyone tell me why it would be unacceptable to:

A) Just remove the heat shield altogether?

B) Use a hose clamp just to tighten the thing up?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
pgrogan said:

B) Use a hose clamp just to tighten the thing up?

Thanks in advance.
There's your answer right there. Just get a few large stainless-steel hose clamps, snug them down and be done with it. I would do without the heat-shields before I invested even 10% of what the dealer quoted!!

FWIW, I get the rattly/grindy noise on our 2008 LX during certain low speed, hi gear situations and have so since the thing was brand-new. I ignore it now.

Joel

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have close to the same problem. I did find this in the forum...

TSB 07-028 Pinging, Rattling, or Squealing During Light Acceleration
Applies To: 2005–06 Odyssey: ALL
2007 Odyssey:
From VIN 5FNRL3...7B000001
thru 5FNRL3...7B007592
From VIN 5FNRL3...7B400001
thru 5FNRL3...7B405900
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/A07-028.PDF

The fix sounds like the sames as provided by your dealer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i have an 06 with 97k on her and have just recently developed this rattle...
cant reproduce it under neutral.. just under load while accelerating..
definitely sounds like a heat shield... metal rattling..
are TSBs out of pocket costs or are they covered... im no longer under warranty..

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I had the same problem with the noise, the first time it was the heat shield in the front of the engine, placed a stainless steel strap clamp (Home Depot $3.50) The second time it was the heatshield over the catalytic, placed a stainless steel strap clamp (Home Depot $4.50, this was larger) No more noise. I could not believe the cost of replacement...

This problem is common when salt is used on the roads. The catalytic problem showed up after I went "off -roading" in the van hit some rocks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
looks to be the heat shield covering the intermediate shaft..
what do you guys actually clamp the heat shield to... anyone have any pics for reference..

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
what do you guys actually clamp the heat shield to... anyone have any pics for reference..
Not sure what this intermediate shaft is, the Odyssey is front wheel drive. Are you referring to the Catalytic? This is the bulge after the steel braided section. If so, you just put the strap around the shield on top and the bottom of the cat shield on the bottom.

Here is a link to the exhaust system, I put the clamp around parts 4 and 5.

South Bay Honda - Honda Automotive Parts Store

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is a old post but I had the same problem for future reference, I just used a rubber hammer and haven't heard the noise since, its been about 20k miles on a 06

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Don't know if this is helpful but in my 1998 BMW 528i, the heat shield for my catalytic came loose causing rattling noise.

The free (hey what is free these days?) solution:
- I got 2 metal coat hangers as wire and wrap around both heat shields just to snug them together. Five years later, still good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rattle

Had the same problem...Rattle under a load...especially uphill...a Loose Heat Shield on the Cat....wow.... Its a crime what the Dealers Charge....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had this same issue, was told by the dealer that the "A Pipe" needed replaced. Also told there were 3 pieces that need to be replaced and with parts and labor it would run around $500 to repair, but it wasn't urgent. So I waited. Car was running fine, several months passed, and I finally started getting really sick of the noise so I decided I'd spring for the repair. I inquired about it, they had a hard time remembering but I keep all my documentation which helped them look it up. However, THE PRICE OF THE PARTS HAD GONE UP BY $200 "because of the tsunami in Japan, and parts being harder to get and having to be shipped from there". I happened to have a coupon for 20% off which shocked the (commission) service sales person. I reminded them that they told me it wasn't urgent and the service sales person said "well no, not if you don't mind ingesting exhaust in the interior of your car which is the danger of that." (which they never let me know) They ordered the parts, I came in for my appt., and then he realized they were missing a part of the 3 needed. So he reordered everything, and a month later scheduled the repair according to HIS schedule because he wanted to oversee it and make sure it was done correctly. I was told the repair would take at least 2 hours. I needed an oil change too, so I added that on. 45 min after I dropped it off they were done with both, and informed me I had a shock that was seeping fluid and it needed replaced, so I had them go ahead and do that which took an hour. $700 later I got my car. Drove it home. Went back out...wait...the noise is STILL THERE. I called the guy on his cell phone and left a very detailed message. I will be back there first thing in the morning to get my car UNFIXED. What a waste of my time. No one ever said anything about a loose heat shield on the cat - just the A Pipe...any similarity or proximity to the two???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I have the same problem with my van and I ask the dealer to check where come from the noise, they told me that the metal protections around the catalyzer were rotten that they must be replaced by a new set ( around 1500.0).
But your solution is really a very good deal, do you have some pictures about that reparation

Best regards

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pinging Solved - Finally!

I've been trying to solve this "pinging" issue for over a year now. Today I finally figured it out - I hope this will help some of you with a cheap fix.

Here's where I've been:

1. Car was always maintained - every Honda service performed on time.
2. At 105,000 miles, I replaced the timing belt. Based on experience with pinging on older Honda cars related to timing belt tension, I hoped this would fix the problem - no luck.
3. Replaced the spark plugs (105K) - long shot, but hoped it might help - no luck.
4. Ran BG 44K through at 105K - hoping maybe carbon buildup was causing the ping - no luck.
5. Ran Premium gas in the van - it's served me well so if it wants premium now, I'll deal with it...still no luck.

At this point, I re-read the TSB referenced above today, put the van on ramps and climbed under to check the shields. All shields are tight - there was nothing obvious with the cat-converter shields, used my rubber mallet on the A-pipe and found nothing.

I looked closely at the shield mentioned in the TSB - it appeared solid, but I was able to move it slightly due to loose bushings. I couldnt' believe this would cause the pinging noise, but it was exactly what the TSB referenced (PROBABLE CAUSE: The intermediate shaft heat shield is loose in its
mounting bushings.) so I went to Home Depot and bought two stainless hose clamps (1 3/4").

I've attached pictures of the two clamps - one is at the top of the drive shaft, the other at the bottom. There are three bolts total, but I could only reasonably reach these two. Note - these were tricky to get on because of the tight working room, but I eventually got them to bite.

Bottom line - this has fixed the pinging...if I were a total purist, I'd opt for dropping/replacing the A-pipe and installing new heat shields. With a 105K mile van, it's hard to justify the expense for an annoyance. Now that I've been through this, I don't think the noise is causing any damage - just an annoyance. As far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong with the A-pipe, though at 105K miles, if you pulled it out - might just have to replace it - it's pretty worn and rusty. It's just not not the problem.

Please keep in mind...I've driven the van 3.0 miles since the fix - who knows...maybe in the next 2K miles, the clamps will give up...I'm hoping not! Auto part Engine
Auto part Pipe Fuel line Exhaust system Exhaust manifold

Good luck to everyone - I hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you Chris, those pics help. I've got what sounds like the same problem on a 2007 with 64K miles, but we've got lots of salt on the road in the winter. I'm gonna give this a try as soon as the weather breaks.

-

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've been trying to solve this "pinging" issue for over a year now. Today I finally figured it out - I hope this will help some of you with a cheap fix.

Here's where I've been:

1. Car was always maintained - every Honda service performed on time.
2. At 105,000 miles, I replaced the timing belt. Based on experience with pinging on older Honda cars related to timing belt tension, I hoped this would fix the problem - no luck.
3. Replaced the spark plugs (105K) - long shot, but hoped it might help - no luck.
4. Ran BG 44K through at 105K - hoping maybe carbon buildup was causing the ping - no luck.
5. Ran Premium gas in the van - it's served me well so if it wants premium now, I'll deal with it...still no luck.

At this point, I re-read the TSB referenced above today, put the van on ramps and climbed under to check the shields. All shields are tight - there was nothing obvious with the cat-converter shields, used my rubber mallet on the A-pipe and found nothing.

I looked closely at the shield mentioned in the TSB - it appeared solid, but I was able to move it slightly due to loose bushings. I couldnt' believe this would cause the pinging noise, but it was exactly what the TSB referenced (PROBABLE CAUSE: The intermediate shaft heat shield is loose in its
mounting bushings.) so I went to Home Depot and bought two stainless hose clamps (1 3/4").

I've attached pictures of the two clamps - one is at the top of the drive shaft, the other at the bottom. There are three bolts total, but I could only reasonably reach these two. Note - these were tricky to get on because of the tight working room, but I eventually got them to bite.

Bottom line - this has fixed the pinging...if I were a total purist, I'd opt for dropping/replacing the A-pipe and installing new heat shields. With a 105K mile van, it's hard to justify the expense for an annoyance. Now that I've been through this, I don't think the noise is causing any damage - just an annoyance. As far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong with the A-pipe, though at 105K miles, if you pulled it out - might just have to replace it - it's pretty worn and rusty. It's just not not the problem.

Please keep in mind...I've driven the van 3.0 miles since the fix - who knows...maybe in the next 2K miles, the clamps will give up...I'm hoping not! View attachment 13233 View attachment 13234

Good luck to everyone - I hope this is helpful.
Chris,
Great info and thanks for the pics. Our Ody now has the same problem. Dealer said $500- $600 to fix. I have not had to to my regular indi mechanic yet.

How long ago did you put the clamps on? Is it still holding up? I worry about those coming loose and interfering with the drive shaft.

Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts