Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some friends of ours at church have a 2007 Odyssey and I offered to help them with their broken A/C. They know I work on cars alot and are they are short on cash, so they don't want to take it in to the dealer.

I looked over the van for about 10 minutes today when they came by with it. I haven't hooked up guages to it yet, but there are no obvious leaks that I could see from up top. I couldn't get underneath to get a good look at the compressor area, and I didn't really look at the condensor. When the A/C is turned on, the condensor fan turns on, but the clutch on the compressor will not engage. The van does have front and rear A/C I believe.

I recall my friend claiming that it quit working when she ran over something in the road. I noticed there was some damage to the plastic panels in the passenger wheel area, and under the front lip. You can't see any damage without poking your head underneath.

Is there any quick things to look at? If the compressor needs to be replaced, can someone please provide a link to a how-to? Are there any other common points of failure? In my quick research I noticed the class action suite regarding the condensor shield. I'd look for more myself, but I'm currently on the clock and can't spend alot of time searching around. So thanks in advance for any fingers pointing me in the right direction.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not specific to this model.

The condensor fan is usually controlled seperate than the compressor.

Most A/C repairs are related to a loss of R134 , find the compressor relay and "temp" jump it to test compressor, if it cuts in then find the pressure switch, usually on the low pressure side, jump it to simulate pressure in the system. if the compressor cuts in. Id lean towards low or empty system.

If its empty I test with nitrogen till the leak is fixed then evac and recharge

Al

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Look at the lower front of the condenser for signs of leakage or rock damage.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Look at the lower front of the condenser for signs of leakage or rock damage.
1+,

#1 cause of no AC is rock damage to the AC condenser.
Sometimes the rock damage is small and hard to see. All you need is a gauge and measure the R134a charge.
Search forum for "Gutter Guard" that we posted a while back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I have the van in my garage and I've checked the following items:

1) Hooked up new guages. Showed 33 psi on both sides under pressure.
2) Tried swapping around some of the matching AC relays under the fuse box and tested the 7.5amp magnetic clutch fuse. Everything checked out.

So I'm in to tracing an electrical issue. joy. Any further easy things to check?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
- 33 psi is lowish. Google R134a pressure etc. to find out what the normal pressure should be.
Also, make sure you know exactly how to use the gauge.
Plus, there is a difference between "low P" side and "high P" side.

- My 2007 Ody had a bad magnetic clutch, replaced under 50-50 deal (good will).
The fuse was good but the magnetic clutch was bad.
I posted some info about this in forum.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know a thing or two about A/C. I was measuring both high and low side with guages. Both sides were equal PSI, which makes sense to me since the A/C hadn't been used in a while. while that might be a bit low (I dont' know the specifics for this model), it should be enough to engage the clutch. The clutch isn't engaging at all.

And so I think the problem is the magnetic clutch. I used an electronic volt meter and measured voltage on the blue/yellow wire that leads down to the clutch and was getting 14 volts. I'll search for your thread.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
- My 2007 Ody had a bad magnetic clutch, replaced under 50-50 deal (good will).
The fuse was good but the magnetic clutch was bad.
I posted some info about this in forum.
I found an open circuite on the statsor. So I'll be replacing the stator and clutch with the compressor still attached. Thanks for the reference to the thread you had posted in, it was very informative.

My local dealer has both the stator set and clutch set in stock for 276 total. Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket alternatives that are significantly cheaper? I didn't see anything mentioned in the other thread.

If I have anything to add to the repair info when I'm through, I'll add it to the other thread. Here is a link to it if anyone stubles on this thread first:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/93901-05-compressor-clutch-troubleshooting-5.html

·
Registered
176 Posts

2) Tried swapping around some of the matching AC relays under the fuse box and tested the 7.5amp magnetic clutch fuse. Everything checked out.

So I'm in to tracing an electrical issue. joy. Any further easy things to check?
When the system is not in use, yes both sides should be equal , usually 70psi in most cases, then when ac is comanded the low goes to approx 35 psi and high can vary 225-275 psi.

At your present pressure you are too close to the low pressure cut out and the compressor may only run for 1-3 sec if it even cuts in at all, you have a small, slow leak. They can be very hard to find even with dye. I personally evac the system then charge to 200psi with nitrogen and leak check.

·
Registered
219 Posts

Way low on refrigerant. Not uncommon for 134a systems to lose refrigerant even though no leaks can be found.

Hold off on that stator until you add some refrigerant. The FSM does have a performance chart in it so you can get pretty close on figuring out if you have added enough refrigerant. Otherwise, have the system sucked down and add refrigerant by weight as instructed by the label.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
1+,

1. Hold off on the stator. However, check the R134a pressure with engine running.
You may want to charge the system with some more R134a first.

2. Re AC Stator: use Honda parts only. Not perfect but there is no alternative that I know of.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replys. I need to confess that I had bought some new guages and I was reading it wrong. Why do they have to put 5 different 'guages' on each guage when everyone pretty much uses the psi. I was actually reading the degrees C line instead of psi. In actuallity both sides were probably closer to 80 psi. On my old guages you read the outermost line and on these its the inner most.

I'm having her pick up the new stator and clutch from the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts