Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 odyssey with 182,000 miles and I started to hear sqeualing noise from the belt. I went ahead and replaced the belt and the belt tensioner but the noise came back. I have also replaced the ac compressor and the crankshaft pulley but the noise doesnt go away. What I have noticed is that the noise comes when the engine is cold and is nearly gone when the engine gets hot. I made a video of the noise and will upload it. Any suggestions on what the sound maybe?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Make sure you installed a genuine Honda belt. Recent reports here about thinner aftermarket belts causing noise.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
?? But if none of the 3 belts you have tried are Honda belts, then you have not eliminated this as the cause of the noise. Non-Honda belts cause noise.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Remove the drive belt and start the engine, check if the noise is there to rule out TB pulleys. Get a stethoscope and find out which component is making the noise.
Could be the PS pump, I rebuilt mine at around 130k because it was leaking.

·
Registered
294 Posts
?? But if none of the 3 belts you have tried are Honda belts, then you have not eliminated this as the cause of the noise. Non-Honda belts cause noise.
I think this is likely something different. The issue with the thinner non-Honda belts is a rattling noise, not a squeal, and happens when cold and in gear. Once warmed up it goes away. The theory is the thinner belt somehow causes the hydraulic tensioner used on EX-L and Touring engines to rattle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I changed the power steering pump today but the noise didnt go away. The only two possibilities now are either the belt or the alternator. I tested the battery while the car was off and I was getting about 12.57V. Once I started the car it jumped to 14.11V.

I ran the car with the serpentine belt off. The noise went away. So I know its not the timing belt, water pump or the crankshaft pulley making that noise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, the belt is wiggling on the idler pulley. But I have replaced the idler pulley about 4 times. Ohh, and I tried spraying water on the belt. The noise goes away for about a second and comes right back.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Given everything you’ve done already, I still think a simple thing to try would be to install a Honda belt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Given everything you’ve done already, I still think a simple thing to try would be to install a Honda belt.
I bought belt conditioner today and sprayed quite a bit on the belt. The noise went away for about 2 minutes and then came back. Does that mean its the belt/

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
612 Posts
I think this is likely something different. The issue with the thinner non-Honda belts is a rattling noise, not a squeal, and happens when cold and in gear. Once warmed up it goes away. The theory is the thinner belt somehow causes the hydraulic tensioner used on EX-L and Touring engines to rattle.
Interesting. I've noticed this on my car, but since I changed the belt right after I bought it when doing the timing belt, I have no idea what it used to sound like before so I thought it was normal. Does it harm anything or is it just an annoyance?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I bought belt conditioner today and sprayed quite a bit on the belt. The noise went away for about 2 minutes and then came back. Does that mean its the belt/
I agree with @thscott that the thing to try next is a Honda belt.

When my alternator went bad there was a much different sound. Also, I don't think spraying things on the belt would silence it if the alternator was a problem. Besides, even though an original Honda belt is more expensive, it is certainly much less expensive and easier than replacing the alternator. I just noticed in your original post that the noise goes away after warming up - maybe the thinner after market belts also can cause these noises as well and not just the rattling.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Interesting. I've noticed this on my car, but since I changed the belt right after I bought it when doing the timing belt, I have no idea what it used to sound like before so I thought it was normal. Does it harm anything or is it just an annoyance?
I don't know if it will harm anything. I'm hoping not since I haven't addressed it yet as I'm waiting for the next time I take it in for routine service at the shop I use. They replaced my belt with a Bando belt at the same time they replaced the alternator. I started noticing a rattling when in gear and cold after this work was done.

Here is a link to a thread started by @John Clark on this topic:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts