Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 Odyssey is my first car gifted from a relative. Unfortunately after a year of being driven around for many trips it has started to fail. My knowledgable about cars mechanically is low so I would mostly stick to what my dad would advise me to do in terms of maintenance. He's run his own towing business and worked on cars moderately, along with hung out with mechanics so he is decently versed in this stuff. So I've done engine oil changes and we had the axle joints and bearings replaced.

The Odyssey in question basically gave out on a trip, while accelerating, I understand it'd be a transmission slip. Stepping on the gas, at 2k rpm the dial would fly upto 5k until you let go of the gas. I had it towed and I changed the ATF for the first time since I came to own it (20k miles ago).

Yes the fluid was pretty much black, looked just like old motor fluid, smelled toasty, also the magnet on the drain plug was coated in a thick layer of fine shavings. So after the fluid change I drove it and that's when it threw quite a few obd codes being:
  1. U0122 F-Can Malfunction
  2. P0741 Torque Convertion/ Clutch Circut Performance or Stuck Off
  3. P1743 Shift Error K
  4. P1780 Shift Control System (Transmission Default Mode)
  5. P0767 Shift Solenoid Valve D Stuck On
  6. P0796 A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve C Stuck Off
I mostly would love to hear what you guys can tell me about the van, as I am finding this pretty fascinating to learn about. In my dad's opinion he thinks the van's engine also sounds funky and even replacing the tranny, I will have further problems down the line. So he spoke to his friends to have the tranny replaced, they would do it for around 1400 and sell it afterwards.

Currently I don't drive it I don't want to get in a dangerous situation, I hear the transmission can lock up? Either way the time I drove it it would do the slipping at around 30 mph when giving it gas. Usually it would start to slip 30 minutes into driving.

Another funny thing, I got the factory service manual for it, when looking up the codes on the troubleshooting pages, the repair steps basically tells me to replace the transmission.

Also I got a copy of the Honda Diagnostic Software on my laptop, do you guys know if running a simple USB to OBDII cable would allow me to link up with it. I mostly want to do this to see the data I can pull up.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Welcome to this forum. I’m not a transmission expert, but I know on our Odysseys it is vital to drain and fill the transmission fluid on a regular basis.
If your Odyssey is an EX-L or Touring model you should muzzle the VCM.

Make sure the timing belt service is up to date and not overdue. Timing belt and related parts need to be replaced every 105,000 miles or 8-10 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll check that stuff out!
Welcome to this forum. I’m not a transmission expert, but I know on our Odysseys it is vital to drain and fill the transmission fluid on a regular basis.
If your Odyssey is an EX-L or Touring model you should muzzle the VCM.

Make sure the timing belt service is up to date and not overdue. Timing belt and related parts need to be replaced every 105,000 miles or 8-10 years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts