Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

This is my first post, but I have been following the forum closely since I purchased my second-hand '07 Oddy over a year ago.

The van has 135,000 miles. It runs great, except for the heating issues I started to notice when temperatures dropped in Massachusetts. This is an LX model with manual front and rear controls. Passenger side vents start blowing warm/hot air fairly quickly (2-4 min.), but I get no heat on the driver's side and in the back. Air gets a little warmer after driving for 20-30 minutes (up to 60-70F), but never gets to the passenger side temperatures (120-130F).

Both hoses (inlet/outlet) are hot. Heater control valve seems to be operating normally. Local auto shop is trying to locate the problem, but to no avail. They checked the thermostat, air mix motor and flaps in the HVAC and confirmed that all is operating normally. They flushed the heating system twice. Still no heat.

Next thing the shop recommends is replacing water pump. I have some doubt about it, since I have not experienced any overheating issues, even on hot days. Is it realistic that water pump has a worn out impeller and does not produce enough flow for the heating system, but just enough for cooling the engine? Revving up the engine while standing does not increase temperature of air blowing from the vents. So again, water pump issue seems unlikely.

But it is also hard to believe that both, front and back cores are clogged.
Are there any methods to diagnose clogged heater core without removing it?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

--
Mindaugas

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
If you're getting hot air out the pass side vents, I don't see how this can be a heater core issue. If the engine isn't overheating, I don't see how this can be a water pump problem.

Do you get air flow out of all the vents (front and rear), based on which setting you have selected?

I would guess at a blend-door actuator problem based on your description of the problem, but don't think I've ever heard of this type of issue on a ~2007+.

Joel

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just had a similar issue, though the heat in the back of the van worked fine. In my 2008 LX, there was no heat coming out of the drivers side vents. It turns out that rodents had made a nest on the filter behind the lower glove box. Pulling out the filter/nest solved the problem.

Here's the question now: what do I do know? Can I prevent this? Where are the vents that are letting those suckers in?

(Also: yes the 2008 LX does not come with a cabin air filter. But, it comes with a filter tray, oddly enough. So you can just buy a filter and install it. I'm a little gun shy after the rodent incident.)

·
Registered
91 Posts
The same problem cost me almost $3,000 from my dealer here in New York. They claimed some plastic broke in heater engine inside the dashboard, and they had to replace that.. They have to take all the dashboard out to get to the heater housing.. I can look for the diagram and post it later.

Mufutau

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here is what they claimed to have replaced...most parts here execept the heater core.

2005 HONDA ODYSSEY|

The labor cost was more expensive than the parts. The had to take off all the dashboard, according to them.
My van was there for more than 5 days, then the "Sandy Huricanne" came too and they were closed for a whole week,
with my van in the Dealer shop.

Mufutau

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
1. Check blend door motor, easy DIY.

2. Maybe heater core, read the thread below.
Even so, I find it hard to believe the heater core was blocked.

2005 Odyssey - Drivers side heat does not work - Honda-Tech

From reading the thread abiove, I am not convinced the heater core needs to be replaced (a lot of labor charge): One cheap option is to undo the hoses in the engine compartment and reverse flush the heater core, just a thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts