Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read a lot of 2006 owners getting these replaced uner a special warranty b/c of high failure rate. Any one have info if the 2007 is covered as well? Honda says no....but I tend to differ!! GRrrrrr...Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wheel bearing replacement under warrantee

Hi,
I have a 2007 with 54K miles and just had the front left wheel bearing replaced under warrantee. (June 2011) The warrantee on the 2007 is 5 year /60K on power train and the wheel bearing is covered. Do a google search for 2007 odyssey warrantee.

The noise sounded just like tire noise from off road tires, but I have Goodyear Comfort Treads with about 20K on them which didn't make sense. I was told the Tires were bad, by three shops, the tranny was bad by one shop and eventually this forum is where I learned the actual problem was the wheel bearings.

Thanks ODYCLUB.

Ive read a lot of 2006 owners getting these replaced uner a special warranty b/c of high failure rate. Any one have info if the 2007 is covered as well? Honda says no....but I tend to differ!! GRrrrrr...Thanks!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Does anyone have the up-to-date Power Train Warranty for 2007 Odyssey?
Still 5yr/60K miles?

·
Super Moderator
13,837 Posts
I didn't realize the warranties changed cnn. :D

The 2007 does indeed have 5/60 but if you find that they increased it to beyond that, please let me know as I too have a 2007. :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
It is 5 years 60k miles whichever comes first.

I just had mine replaced by an independent mechanic for much much less than what dealership quoted me.

Knowing what I know now, I believe this is a relatively easy DIY for a weekend wrench head like me.

You'll need a puller to get the bearing out (or use the press to press it out), a press to press the new bearing in place.

Bearing itself cost about $60 at the dealer but it can be bought elsewhere like Intex where I'm located.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
...Knowing what I know now, I believe this is a relatively easy DIY for a weekend wrench head like me.

You'll need a puller to get the bearing out (or use the press to press it out), a press to press the new bearing in place...
Actually not everyone has a press. The Honda Front Bearing design is little dumb, dating back to 1980s. The OUTER Race is press-fit in very tight. The main problem is removing the steering knuckle and take it to a shop to press it out.

Virtually all modern makers from Volvo to BMW have done away with this dumb design. For the Volvo and BMW, the OUTER race is mounted via 4 Torx bolts. You simply remove these 4 bolts and the bearing comes out.

Back to Honda, whether it is Civic, Accord or Odyssey, the OUTER Race is press-fit in the knuckle. This is why the factory procedure calls for removing the steering knuckle and take it to a bench to press the OUTER race out.

I am working on a method where you can replace the Front Bearing in a Honda using minimal tools without removing the Steering Knuckle and will update it at a later day.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I watched my mechanic remove those knuckles and it took him only 10 minutes at the most to remove. I guess if you do it for a living, he's used to making it look easy.

Anyway, I look forward to your DIY proc. for replacing these bearings on our minivans.

Back to Honda, whether it is Civic, Accord or Odyssey, the OUTER Race is press-fit in the knuckle. This is why the factory procedure calls for removing the steering knuckle and take it to a bench to press the OUTER race out.

I am working on a method where you can replace the Front Bearing in a Honda using minimal tools without removing the Steering Knuckle and will update it at a later day.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I watched my mechanic remove those knuckles and it took him only 10 minutes at the most to remove. I guess if you do it for a living, he's used to making it look easy.
Taking the Steering Knuckle out is not a problem, I can do it.

The problem is: once you take it out and re-install it, most people recommend an alignment. I am trying to avoid the cost of the alignment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts