Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my dad currently has a 2001 EX with almost 200k miles which he bought new 10 years ago. For the most part it has been good to him (minus the transmission problems) and for some reason he continues to want another minivan even at his young age of 64. He is a firm believer on only buying new but I have convinced him that buying a vehicle thats 2-4 years old with very low miles makes more sense then taking a depreciation hit as soon as you drive off the lot. I have found 2 Odysseys for him to consider. Just wanted opinions on price and which model year you would choose. Thanks for the help.

1. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=294231276&dealer_id=3080902&car_year=2007&systime=&doors=&model=ODYESSY&search_lang=en&only_photo=1&start_year=2006&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&scarid=296710250&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=75&min_price=&rdm=1303241617901&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2010&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&only_price=1&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=priceASC&max_mileage=30000&color=&address=60077&sort_type=priceASC&max_price=&awsp=false&make=HONDA&seller_type=d&num_records=25&cardist=14&standard=false

2. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=c&car_id=297405365&dealer_id=614564&car_year=2008&systime=&doors=&model=ODYESSY&search_lang=en&only_photo=1&start_year=2006&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&scarid=296710250&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=75&min_price=&rdm=1303241617901&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2010&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&only_price=1&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=priceASC&max_mileage=30000&color=&address=60077&sort_type=priceASC&max_price=&awsp=false&make=HONDA&seller_type=d&num_records=25&cardist=6&standard=false

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well personally my inclination would be to get the certified car from the Honda dealer for the additional power train warranty and 12month bumper to bumper warranty. These vans are pretty complicated and it gives me that piece of mind. Especially since your dad is only used to new vehicles. He should get the same owner experience with the certified car. Buying from the other dealer has some risks since they are not a Honda dealer.

I am interested to see other's insight.

·
Registered
786 Posts
There were a few features added in 08, but the biggest were the different aesthetic changes. There have also been many claims and observations that the quality of materials took a big drop in 08. Cheaper leather, more plastic, etc.

·
Registered
249 Posts
There were a few features added in 08, but the biggest were the different aesthetic changes. There have also been many claims and observations that the quality of materials took a big drop in 08. Cheaper leather, more plastic, etc.
IIRC, the VCM from 2008 onward can deactivate 2 or 3 cylinders (ie: engine runs on 3, 4 or 6 cylinders) as opposed to the previous 3-cylinder deactivation programming (ie: engine runs on 3 or 6 cylinders). This would likely increase ECO activation and improve fuel economy a bit better. In theory ;)

But all things being equal (mileage, maintenance etc) between these two, I'd go for the '08 since if your dad might sell it down the road it'll depreciate less being one year newer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts